Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 7th Annual 24 Hour Build - Starts Saturday, January 26th at Noon EST!

The 7th Annual 24 hour Model Car Build is coming up January 26 - 27th. The premise here is that you either get together with some modeling friends or by yourself and start building a model at Noon on Saturday the 26th. Build for 24 hours straight and end at Noon on Sunday, the 27th!

There are groups of guys all over the USA and Canada who have groups all set to go. Gary Kulchock has a Fotki site set up where everyone can post in-progress photos throughout the night. And this year Bobby Boggs added a Facebook page just for this event. I think the Facebook page is going to prove to be much more popular because in addition to your photos being instantly viewable by everyone else you can also send messages back and forth.

Just look up 7th Annual 24hr Build in the Facebook search bar at the top or try this link if it works...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/events/334011736695054/?fref=ts

I have at least 3 other guys coming to my home for the build this year and it's gonna be a lot of fun. Since my regular model shop is too small to accomodate this, I'm setting up a big area in my woodworking shop. I have unlimited air supply there and lots of room. I'm setting up a spray booth and I'll have my own dehydrator set up. I have 3 airbrushes and I'll have a big flat screen TV set up also...with a DVD player if we want to have car movies on or whatever...Might have to break out the 'ol Two Lane Blacktop video! I also have a small refrigerator there and we'll get some food for the night. Maybe we might need to bring my Keurig coffee machine up there too! Or maybe some of that 5 hour energy drink stuff! Who knows?

I did it last year and posted my in progress pics here but didn't know everyone else was not posting here so I missed out on most of the interaction. IMHO this type of "event" is a good thing because as modelers we are pretty much involved in the hobby all by ourselves. The only times we get to interact with other guys who are like-minded with this hobby are at shows or club meetings. This is just one other opportunity to interact with fellow modelers literally around the country!

I was even wondering if we could set up Skype and we could talk back and forth! We'll see. Could be good as long as no one sits up all night modeling in his tightie-whities! :lol:

So....who here is anticipating taking part in the th Annual 24hr Build?

I'm thinking of doing it! I've watched the past few years but had been too busy with life to give up a weekend. I've got the time now. Gary K had messaged me asking what kit I was going to do. I've already changed my original reply and am likely to change it again a few more times before the build.

As I see it, you will need to select a kit that's not too complex, one that you want to have a finished example on your shelf but one that's not too rare so that you don't feel bad building it quick without the usual drawn out attention to detail.

Originally I thought I'd build an AMT '62 Buick but have been leaning on building a Miss Deal Studebaker funny car since I want to have an example of that chassis built. Time will tell.

The 7th Annual 24 hour Model Car Build is coming up January 26 - 27th. The premise here is that you either get together with some modeling friends or by yourself and start building a model at Noon on Saturday the 26th. Build for 24 hours straight and end at Noon on Sunday, the 27th!

There are groups of guys all over the USA and Canada who have groups all set to go. Gary Kulchock has a Fotki site set up where everyone can post in-progress photos throughout the night. And this year Bobby Boggs added a Facebook page just for this event. I think the Facebook page is going to prove to be much more popular because in addition to your photos being instantly viewable by everyone else you can also send messages back and forth.

Just look up 7th Annual 24hr Build in the Facebook search bar at the top or try this link if it works...

I have at least 3 other guys coming to my home for the build this year and it's gonna be a lot of fun. Since my regular model shop is too small to accomodate this, I'm setting up a big area in my woodworking shop. I have unlimited air supply there and lots of room. I'm setting up a spray booth and I'll have my own dehydrator set up. I have 3 airbrushes and I'll have a big flat screen TV set up also...with a DVD player if we want to have car movies on or whatever...Might have to break out the 'ol Two Lane Blacktop video! I also have a small refrigerator there and we'll get some food for the night. Maybe we might need to bring my Keurig coffee machine up there too! Or maybe some of that 5 hour energy drink stuff! Who knows?

I did it last year and posted my in progress pics here but didn't know everyone else was not posting here so I missed out on most of the interaction. IMHO this type of "event" is a good thing because as modelers we are pretty much involved in the hobby all by ourselves. The only times we get to interact with other guys who are like-minded with this hobby are at shows or club meetings. This is just one other opportunity to interact with fellow modelers literally around the country!

I was even wondering if we could set up Skype and we could talk back and forth! We'll see. Could be good as long as no one sits up all night modeling in his tightie-whities! :lol:

I still have to finish my 24 hours of Daytona build from 3 years ago LOL

Here's the rules for the build:

You can wash parts. May glue 4 parts to body. Have to paint the body (Brolin Rule). Start at noon and end at noon. No snap kits unless you really plan to modify it to the max. Send Gary your info so he can get it on his Fotki site.

Read more: http://themadmodeller.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hour&action=display&thread=5003&page=2#ixzz2HdI95tnk

• 3 weeks later...

Man, talk about making someone jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds like waaaay too much fun!!!!!!!!!!