Model Cars Magazine Forum

STACY DAVID/REVELL MODEL KITS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dr. Cranky

Here is a good bit of information to any perspective person thinking about entering this year. And let me say that what I'm about to say is in no way a slam against any prior winner as they built and entered deserving entries.

I had extensive conversations with two of the judges from last years contest and even though they received plenty of entries from many quality builders they were limited to their judging ability based on the quality of the photos submitted. Their biggest frustration was that many entries were submitted using any one of a number of smart phones to photograph the entry. A lot of the photos were of subpar quality and automatically discounted the entry from contention due to lack of clarity in the image.

So, for the future contests it is not only a requirement to submit your best entry possible but to also have the best images as well for the sake of the judges being able to analyze your work fairly and consistently.

I heard about the issue with the pictures being poor quality after the first contest so I Went to my Grandpa's house (He's a prefessional photographer) to have the picstures of my build taken only to find out their website would not upload them because of the image size. And when I shrunk them down to the recommended size I ended up with a useless stamp sized blob of gray so I didn't enter. As long as they fix this issue I'll enter again but that was really frustrating to have to deal with.

Edited by BKcustoms

Ya I had the same problem, which is why my entry didn't get in the first year, but last year I was able to shrink them down. I also heard you have to photograph your reciept of purchase, which I had no idea about. I might build a car, but I'm not sure if I will enter this year, just because in the extream off chance that I do actually win, I have nowhere to put any of the prizes. My space it definately a bit limited.

I heard about the issue with the pictures being poor quality after the first contest so I Went to my Grandpa's house (He's a prefessional photographer) to have the picstures of my build taken only to find out their website would not upload them because of the image size. And when I shrunk them down to the recommended size I ended up with a useless stamp sized blob of gray so I didn't enter. As long as they fix this issue I'll enter again but that was really frustrating to have to deal with.

That's not Revell's issue, it's yours. Anyone who enters the contest must meet the requirements, and since the entries can't be judged in person, they must rely on photographs to judge each entry. It's in every entrant's best interest to enter the largest, clearest, most well-photographed images allowed/possible, so the judges can better see the work you've done.

I was just really frustrated to find out that the High Quality pictures I took (I could zoom in and see the weave on my braided fuel lines and radiator hoses) were turned into a useless blob of gray the size of a stamp by the resizing program they supplied that is supposed Help with entering, not ruin your chances. I did my part by taking the absolute best pictures I could.

Here are the 2013 rules listing the eligible kits.

ELIGIBLE MODEL KITS
Modern Muscle
* RMXS2342 Dodge Viper RT/10
* RMXS2026 '09 Dodge Challenger SRT8
* RMXS4275 Viper Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR
* RMXS2574 '07 Ford Shelby GT500
* RMXS2045 '06 Shelby GT-H
* RMXS4285 2010 Ford Shelby GT500
* RMXS4274 Corvette Corvette® ZR-1
* RMXS7457 2012 Camaro SS 2n1
* RMXS4202 '02 Camaro 2n1
Historic WWII Aircraft
* RMXS5209 P-40B Tiger Shark
* RMXS5239 Spitfire MKII
* RMXS5248 Corsair F4U-4
* RMXS5255 P-39 Airacobra
* RMXS5256 P-51B/C Mustang
* RMXS5262 F6F-5 Hellcat
* RMXS5600 B17-G Flying Fortress
* RMXS7546 Black Widow
Trucks
* RMXS1506 Peterbilt 359 Conv Tractor
* RMXS4017 Dodge Ram VTS Pickup
* RMXS4914 Ed Roth Ford F100
* RMXS7208 '37 Ford Pickup Street Rod 2n1
* RMXS7202 '41 Chevy Pickup 2n1
* RMXS7200 '99 Chevy Silverado Pickup
Edited by rhs856

Oh no planes and modern vehicles?!?!? Building out of you're comfort zone? Cue the flopping around and pouting.

I mean really folks they can't have the same "classes" every single year. Might get more kids involved if their choices in vehicles aren't cars their grandparents owned.

Oh no planes and modern vehicles?!?!? Building out of you're comfort zone? Cue the flopping around and pouting.

I mean really folks they can't have the same "classes" every single year. Might get more kids involved if their choices in vehicles aren't cars their grandparents owned.

I'm fine with the change - not really my thing, but like you said, out of my comfort zone. What irks me is the Trucks category - It seems like it's there for people who won't build the Modern Muscle, but then there's the lone Peterbuilt that feels like an afterthought. I'm worried that this competition is turning (has turned) into something where Revell is trying to include everyone and make everyone happy, but in the process is doing neither. Why not have a separate Military contest sponsored by someone in that field (ahem, R. Lee Ermy)?