Model Cars Magazine Forum

STACY DAVID/REVELL MODEL KITS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dr. Cranky

Actually, the list interests me. I have or have built (worked on ;)) many of the older vehicle kits, but I generally don't have interest in newer cars...so Revell has done their job - they have peaked my interest in a subject I, before thinking about this contest, had little interest in.

I also think having separate categories in one contest is legitimate. Why not get car guys to look at airplanes/military and vice versa? The inclusion of the trucks should satisfy those not interested (or willing) to try a modern subject.

This is a promotional tool not only for Revell but for our hobby - it can do nothing but increase exposure and I applaud Revell for taking on the task.

This is a promotional tool not only for Revell but for our hobby - it can do nothing but increase exposure and I applaud Revell for taking on the task.

Agreed. Revell isn't trying to please everyone here. If they were they'd include every current kit they make on the eligible list.

I'm sure someone could (please don't) dredge up last year post on the contest (no really, please don't) and we'd see comments like "Why so many musclecars?!" and " where are all the new Vettes, Challengers and Mustangs on the list?"

I'm fine with the change - not really my thing, but like you said, out of my comfort zone. What irks me is the Trucks category - It seems like it's there for people who won't build the Modern Muscle, but then there's the lone Peterbuilt that feels like an afterthought. I'm worried that this competition is turning (has turned) into something where Revell is trying to include everyone and make everyone happy, but in the process is doing neither. Why not have a separate Military contest sponsored by someone in that field (ahem, R. Lee Ermy)?

Well I don't think there's any other big rig kits available. The 1/16 kit was a limited run, and everything else is Revell AG.

Almost all of the kits chosen are the ones that have wound up at the "other" retailers (Wal*Mart, K-Mart, Meyers, Pep Boys, etc), so I suspect that had quite a bit to do with this year's selections.

Not shy about calling Revell in the carpet for their screw-ups, but credit to them, as this seems a rather inspired bit of marketing. Even if it doesn't necessarily make everyone happy.

Agreed. Revell isn't trying to please everyone here. If they were they'd include every current kit they make on the eligible list.

I'm sure someone could (please don't) dredge up last year post on the contest (no really, please don't) and we'd see comments like "Why so many musclecars?!" and " where are all the new Vettes, Challengers and Mustangs on the list?"

Can I dredge up the FIRST year where everyone complained it was all hot rods and "Where are all the muscle cars?" instead?

So...there is no kit of the 2012 Camaro SS, is there?

No it's a 2010.

I think it's a good idea, the contest is a positive thing. I don't think that a company that had to compete with video games would show a video game company to sponsor a model building contest. It's like Ford sponsoring a all Chevrolet car show.

As for the complaining, apparently model builders are a whiney bunch. A major model company contest can't please everyone, I guess that should have been a given. The odds of me winning are better if less people enter, so keep complaining.

As for the complaining, apparently model builders are a whiney bunch. A major model company contest can't please everyone, I guess that should have been a given. The odds of me winning are better if less people enter, so keep complaining.

Sometimes it does appear that way :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

Well, I just read all the posts and I agree with some, disagree with others and don't understand a few. BUT I still get excited when Stacy sets down at the end of each show and is surrounded by models and does the "viewer car" segment. Then he always tells the audience to get out there and build something and on a recent show he said if you can build a full size car then get a model and build it. Thank you Stacy and Revell for trying to get more people involved in this hobby. To me it's worth buying a kit that I normally wouldn't, building it and entering to help support the cause.

Edited by Terry Love

Yes the video game company... ( look at the logo you will clearly see the EA there ) as much as I use to love to watch Stacy David.. I will not watch his show because of the EA connection!

The EA you see is only the letters E and A used in the word "GEARZ". The stylized G, then two gears with the letters E and A, then the stylized R and Z. the letters have in no way anything to do with the video game company. It is not EA's trademark. Dang, do some research first before you assume. Did the research for you. Google is my friend.

http://staceydavid.com/black-book

Edited by lordairgtar

If you haven't seen them here is the link

http://www.revell.com/contest/revellgearz-rules.html

1st question. At the bottom is a list of kits. I compared them to the Revell website and none of them are listed. Yes, there are Vipers, Challengers and GT 500 on the website but none of them match the product numbers listed in the rules.

2nd question or maybe a suggestion. Read the rule for the novice class. Taken at face value, people like Larry Booth, probably Randy Derr and a whole lot of top builders don't finish 10 models in 3 years. I once built 26 models in one year. I wanted to enter every class in our club contest. They were all junk but by the rules that would make me a professional builder.

Reguardless of the rules, I'm still going to enter and support them for trying to build the hobby. That is if I can figure out which kits I can use.

1st question. At the bottom is a list of kits. I compared them to the Revell website and none of them are listed. Yes, there are Vipers, Challengers and GT 500 on the website but none of them match the product numbers listed in the rules.

Yes, the product numbers listed in the rules do not match what's on Revell's website, but when you click each model, it take you directly to the correct model on Revell's website.

Well, I just read all the posts and I agree with some, disagree with others and don't understand a few. BUT I still get excited when Stacy sets down at the end of each show and is surrounded by models and does the "viewer car" segment. Then he always tells the audience to get out there and build something and on a recent show he said if you can build a full size car then get a model and build it. Thank you Stacy and Revell for trying to get more people involved in this hobby. To me it's worth buying a kit that I normally wouldn't, building it and entering to help support the cause.

What he said!!

I think this is great for our hobby!

I certainly did not mean to sound like I was whining just by saying I did not find the kit list ineteresting. Two years ago I built a 49 Merc for this contest in a street rod look, not my usual and was out of my comfort zone, but at least it peaked my interest, was a new kit, and I tried it. I can see someone's point about the mass appeal to these kits to your Wally World and KMarts. I can also see not being able to just say all kits to please everyone, but you just spent money on all new tooling 50 Olds, 57 Ford, and a 62 Vette, I think adding any one of those kits would have given more options to the contest and promoted some fo their new products.

Read the rule for the novice class. Taken at face value, people like Larry Booth, probably Randy Derr and a whole lot of top builders don't finish 10 models in 3 years.

I once built 26 models in one year. I wanted to enter every class in our club contest. They were all junk but by the rules that would make me a professional builder.

Hey! By those definitions, I'm a "Novice," too! Move over, kids. :P

I don't see the term "professional builder" in the rules, but, okay, you're a professional builder!

Just make sure all your entries are in the "Advanced" category so we "Novices" won't have to compete with you "pros!"

:lol:

I'm not sure they are really doing the contest with us in mind. They know we are going to buy the kits that interest us. They also probably know that the quality builders from this forum and the major contest around the county will win but I think their main goal is to get new people involved. That is one thing that I think we all want to happen so for me, I'll buy a kit that I normally wouldn't and enter just to support their cause.

The only complaint I have is that they should have used the Lightning instead of one of the 2 old Ford kits...Would been nice to see it with the 99 Chevy and The Dodge truck

Folks need to slow down for a moment and re-read the rules and understand what this contest is based on. This contest is designed to try and spark added interest in the hobby of building models, especially for those that don't already build. Secondly, it's designed to add profit margin to Revell's bottomline. The available kit list is based on current released models that fit into the categories that they have created. They are not excluding anyone by not providing a more exciting list (if that is your complaint). They are not going to include older released kits because they are not readily accessible on mass market shelves.

As well, according to the rules, you cannot go to your "stash" and pull out a model for entry. It is designed for the entrant to go out and purchase a model that is listed, during the time period notated. That way it keeps the competition on a somewhat level playing field and eliminates the builder that would simply photograph a model that they have already built (not that anyone here would do that). It also creates a marketing opportunity to increase profitability, as I already mentioned above. And I fit into the slightly frustrated category as I saw the list and decided that I could build the Viper ACR kit that I just picked up last week. But to do so honestly I have to go out and purchase it again, during the timetable listed.

So, people can voice their displeasure over the listed models all they want. This is most likely why the list is what it is. And as many folks that are not happy with it there are probably just as many that are happy with it.