Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint options

Ok so I'm not sure where this would go, other than Q&A. Here goes I have three options. More importantly it is accomplishing something. Painting spoons comes out better than my cars.

Before I go on I will post what I done, starting with the left

The pearl powder is dry brushed

1: Copper base, candy green (no clear yet)

2: Copper base, pearl powder, candy green. ( no clear yet)

3: Copper base, candy green, pearl powder, pearl clear

59b55e195532f7614ec4da0bedd5e6ab.jpg

Well I went ahead with the paint, I was preparing this for a car show and stupid on my part I did not think about the mold lines. I bought this kit built w/o paint. So I did not see them until the paint was on. So it goes on a shelf when I'm done lol.

Guest G Holding

Joshua, great ideas....I have never used pearl ex dry brushed...I will try it though. I Have used pearl ex just like I use HOK dry pearl flakes, mixed into a clear coat. You do not need much flake for a lot of bling...Spray a couple of light coats over your color, shoot 4 or 5 coats of clear over that (A/B not cans) and the pearl is buried in the paint, and if not over done looks scale perfect. A number of others also use pearl ex..Donn Yost comes to mind along with Dr Cranky.

Well here it is, it will get a gloss white top to go with it. And the stock wheels.

I have a red one just like it that will get the same treatment without the mold lines lol

e3080e37f4b55d821b3a6ee0dbf8a630.jpg

Edit: This is the second option

Copper, pearl powder, candy green (no clear yet)

Edited by Kaleb

Joshua....I was just going to mention what Greg had said.... I have never seen anyone dry brush pearl before. Any time I have used it I have mixed it in with my clear or mixed it in an inner coat clear. laying down a few coats then coming back with 3/4 coats of clear. By the way the color looks good on the '57.

Please excuse my ignorance. When you mix the flake or the pearl powder, do you shoot it through a regular air brush and if so what size of needle

Stephen.... I have shot pearl powder thru my Badger Model 200 with a medium head and needle. depending on the size of Flake you may want to shoot with a Large head and needle but you may be able to get away with mini flake thru a medium head and needle.

Stephen.... I have shot pearl powder thru my Badger Model 200 with a medium head and needle. depending on the size of Flake you may want to shoot with a Large head and needle but you may be able to get away with mini flake thru a medium head and needle.

Chris, thanks for the reply. I was at Michaels and I saw they had glitter. Is that flake too large?