Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Oldsmobile 88 California Highway Patrol

tomsheehy

Just completed this new Revell kit of the 50 Olds. I used the resin sedan body from Promolite instead of the coupe body from the kit, as the CHP used the sedan in 50. Otherwise the kit was built box stock. I added detailed spotlights on the roof as per CHP units of the period. Decals are by Fred Cady. Paint is Tamiya from the cans.

This new kit by Revell is real nice. No major issues, goes together well. Now onto the new 57 Ford kit...

DSC04989-vi.jpg

DSC04990-vi.jpg

DSC04992-vi.jpg

DSC04994-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Very nice Olds. I love police cars. Especially the ones used by the Highway Patrols. I am a little unclear on one thing about your build. Did CHP ever drive '50 Oldsmobiles? If not they should have. The Olds 88 was one of the fastest cars on the road at the time.

I'm very much OK with building "phantom" cars if they look right. I'm not saying your Olds is a phantom. But, if it is, it's cool. I'm in the planning stages of building 5 Minnesota Highway Patrol cars. None of which will be 100% correct. I have had the decals made, so I'm almost ready to go. I plan doing Revell's '57 Ford Custom and '90 Mustang LX, AMT's '70 Galaxie, MPC's Rosco's Sheriffs Dodge, and JoHan's '68 Plymouth as MN Highway/State Patrol cars. The '57 will be incorrect because I'm going paint it like the '58 cars. 1958 was the first year the Minesota cars were paint Maroon. Which is still used to this day. The others? Minnesota drove '67 Plymouths and not '68s. '69 Fords, rather than '70s. Late 70's were Plymouth Furys, rather than Dodge Monacos. And Minnesota did run Mustangs, but they were unmarked cars. Were I'll be building mine as a marked car. None of the cars will be right. But, so what. Close enough. And I'll be happy.

Scott

You know, Scott, if you hadn't let it be known all your MN builds wouldn't be "right," 999 out of a thousand people would not have had a clue they weren't right.

You let the cat out of the bag, you told on yourself! :P

You know, Scott, if you hadn't let it be known all your MN builds wouldn't be "right," 999 out of a thousand people would not have had a clue they weren't right.

You let the cat out of the bag, you told on yourself! :P

Never said I was brightest bulb in the bunch!

Scott