Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1958 Chevy Impala for a friend

Ron35369

This one I built last summer for a good friend of mine. He had seen a 58 Impala in a toy store in these colors when he was a little boy. He fell in love with the 58 but his parents couldn't afford to buy it for him. I decided to build a replica of the one he saw as a kid & send it to him. Here is how it turned out:

58Impalafinished9.jpg

58Impalafinished.jpg

58Impalafinished2.jpg

58Impalafinished3.jpg

58Impalafinished8.jpg

58Impalafinished1.jpg

58Impalaplates.jpg

58Impalafinished5.jpg

58Impalafinished6.jpg

58Impalafinished4.jpg

Stephen, my friend told me that when the car arrived he cried cause it was exactly like the one he remembered from his childhood & had wanted so badly. Yes, the AMT version takes yards of BMF, not only outside but in the interior as well. I built another 58 years ago that I still have in my collection. I painted it with Testors Sapphire blue. Here's a photo of that one:

DSCN1518.jpg

Wouldn't you have liked to have been the fly on the wall to see the reaction when your friend opened the package to reveal your gift? :rolleyes: Your seemingly simple act of kindness was huge to him and the quality of that build reflects the fact that the gift came from your heart and it was not just a superficial thing.

Your friend was truly blessed to receive such a unique gift and you had the pleasure and gratification of doing something very special for someone for whom you care. There is no better gift than one that is created and is really a part of you because it is your creation built by your hands. I have no doubt that a simple plastic model car is likely now among your friends most treasured possessions and your gift is something that he will always treasure and remember you by. My hat is off to you for your thoughtfulness and generosity and both builds are striking and top quality.

I don't believe that we can ever give too much of ourselves and sharing our talents and abilities as you have done is deeply personal and touching. There is a law in life that is as sure as gravity. And just like gravity, we really do not understand how it works, but we reap what we sow or give in life. Your kindness will not go unrewarded because as I always say, "life looks after itself" and somehow, somewhere, some day, you will receive from somewhere unexpected what you have given - something that will be truly special to you. You have a good heart..the world would be a much better place if there were more people like yourself. Well done.... :D:D:D

Gary Cook, thank you so much for your post...your words touched my heart & got me a little choked up. Yes, I wish I could have been there when he opened the package & saw the Impala in person. He had been trying to build one himself but his paint skills are tuned more towards the "weathering" aspect of building & he excels at that type of building to heights that I will NEVER reach. He had painted the body three times I believe before giving up, so I told him to send it to me & I would get it painted. After he saw the photos of the painted body we mutually agreed that I would finish the build for him. He had a custom showcase made for it & it's the centerpiece of his collection.

I hope my motives for posting my photos is not misunderstood. I am not one to brag or toot my own horn & in no way am I trying to show off. I would hope that the photos I post would be an inspiration to others to push themselves for that shiny paint, or detailed interior, or whatever. I look at my builds & see flaws in every one of them where I could have done something better. I think I am improving with every build, at least thats my goal. I am not above giving advise if I feel qualified & I won't hesitate to help out a fellow modeller with needed parts or complete kits or even a paint job. I feel very fortunate to have a large collection of unbuilts that I can afford to help out someone less fortunate...especially our younger builders. They are the future of model building. I think a lot of us that are building are baby boomers & when we are gone it will be up to the younger generations to keep the hobby alive. Oh boy...I've rambled on now...I'll get off my soap box.