Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "FreakShow" new project 1/12/13

John Teresi

As per usual Harry, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You can't dump on the real car without dumping on the replica, plain and simple. You can't say the real car is in your words: the ugliest, gaudiest, most over the top (in a bad way), tasteless, schlocky, garish and finally revolting creation ever and not expect John or anyone else to relate those insults to his replica of that very same car. If the model looks exactly like the real car, those same adjectives apply to it no matter how you try to spin it.

Not true. In fact, what I said was that the real car is ugly, but that was not a reflection on John's work.

John didn't design the car, he's making a model of it. And doing a very good job. I am not criticizing him for the way the car looks... he had nothing to do with that. There is a difference between commenting on the looks of the real car and commenting on John's work. And I said that John's work is first rate.

The real car is ugly. John's modeling talent is first class. Two different things.

It seems to me the more talented a builder is and the more they utilise scratchbuilding parts for their models the more negative comments they get from others who aren't quite as willing to build their own. All negativity aside, it takes guts to take such an oddball subject and to be able to create all the parts needed to make it look like the real car. Great work so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your updates on the build and the finished model.

A piece of wood plaque on the wall doesn't impress me at all. What impresses me is a model builder's attitude and REAL contributions to the hobby,- whether they build awesome or ho-hum models --- or even build models at all.

I know the Freakshow real car is not the epitome of beauty, but that's one of the kool things about building it. One of my my own projects if Frank Marrata's 40 Merc (The Pink Beast), which is way up at the top of the list for wierd, wayout (yes, ugly) customs. Just the project itself gets a lot of looks when people recognize it. If the steering wheel on it is wrong (I'm not that far) and I've tried to find the right one - I will still call it a replica model. I don't care about the rivet counters, because it's my lifetime hobby. I don't care about 'winning'. I care more about a fellow modeler telling me "nice model".

I can't wait to see this finished, John!

Edited by Von Don Koolkat

Hi John, Getting caught up with your progress, looks fabulous!!!! Love the interior and what a monster motor. Your detailing is outstanding.

I noticed the great looking gauge faces on the air tank, how did you do those? Need some on some tanks for my dio project.

Keep up the good work my friend :)

Randy

Hi John, Getting caught up with your progress, looks fabulous!!!! Love the interior and what a monster motor. Your detailing is outstanding.

I noticed the great looking gauge faces on the air tank, how did you do those? Need some on some tanks for my dio project.

Keep up the good work my friend :)

Randy

Hi Randy..........I used a chrome spru for the base of the gauge and used "Pro Tech" faces with ring.........I added a little detail to one of the gauge faces by using a .005 red and green pen........thanks

The valve covers are a non-issue. Not everybody is an ASE certified mechanic. I challenge anybody to post their own perfect model. I've never seen one. Better yet, please post your own model YOU'VE BUILT of the FreakShow. I've considered building it, but it seemed to be a rather an intimidating model to construct..

At the same time, I'm sure John appreciates the correction about the valve covers. I am sure many modelers aren't aware of some superficial differences like that. Super model, John!

I agree. For what it's worth, I am an ASE Certified Master Technician and I didn't notice. Not that I would have cared if I had. Also for what it's worth, the Mona Lisa doesn't have eyebrows and I could care less about that also.

pff what a drama in this thread lol shame of this awsome build..
the last update cost me some time to find in between the .....

but thats so cool !! the cleanness of building to start with is awsome , love the details to death
sure irl i wouldnt build a car like that but its so cool to see you build it like this .. just insanely great work !

I feel one of the most important strengths of model building is that it allows and encourages creativity: creativity in technique, design and in choice of subject. This build epitomizes two of the three. I very much appreciate seeing an unusual subject and the guts to build it.

I visited in On The Workbench yesterday and this thread had Fifteen pages. Now there's couple of pages of comments about incorrectly assembled Valve covers! Okay I got it too, they are wrongly mounted. But and this is a big BUT, I do believe that once John gets everything assembled, detailed and installed the engine, no one would notice the Valve covers if they were not mentioned 1,000,000 times in this thread.

This build is absolutely out of this world, I'm completely blown away, doesn't matter how those Valve Covers are installed. Keep it going John!

Hello.......thank you all very much for the kind comments.......I got some primer on the body and the 1st pass of putty.........sanded down and re-primered.......I shot a few pictures to see what it looks like..........most of the body work is done......I will give it one more pass of putty and re-primer again.........I will have color on it this weekend.......thanks for looking.

DSCF6813_zps9cc6b3b6.jpg

DSCF6814_zps9c2c2b00.jpg

DSCF6815_zpsc2cd20b0.jpg

DSCF6816_zpsc55fd5d5.jpg

DSCF6821_zps53d0d238.jpg

DSCF6822_zpsf9f5c755.jpg

DSCF6823_zpsb909a919.jpg