Model Cars Magazine Forum

Open Road Camper w. Chevy Cameo

This is a mock-up of my Open Road Camper, with a 1955 Chevy Cameo in front of it. The original release of the camper kit came with a truck. I believe it was a 1967 Chevy. But the AMT re-release did not come with a truck. It was a 'stand alone' camper. I wanted to connect it to a truck, but found it hard to find a match. As you can see here on the photo, the suspension of the camper is too low. I placed the camper on a sanding stick to verify the difference in hight. I think I need to take the wheels off under the camper and elevate the suspension a bit.

post-10095-0-80994400-1358037497_thumb.j

post-10095-0-78716100-1358037545_thumb.j

Wow. If that's just a mock-up, I can't wait to see the finished model.

Thank you Skip! On the photo you can see that the truck sits about a quarter inch lower than the camper. I could try to fix that, but there is not a quarter inch clearing between the truck roof and the camper. Mmmmmm. a challenge. Ideas and suggestions are welcome. :-)

I think I would trim off the bottom of the sides, right at the bottom of the last full "rib" and fill in the remains of the cutout for the wheel. Then I'd replace the area with a new piece and re-cut for the wheel. If you wanted to go all out, you could use strip stock and match the ribbing, but I don't feel it'd be necessary. The front and rear could just be caps to tie the sides together. This would allow you to position the camper body forward and close up the cab/camper gap, take care of the height issue, and let you get your rear wheel looking right in the wheelwell.

Just food for thought. Should be an interesting piece when you're done. Btw, any broader shots of your building in the first pic? That looks interesting as well.

But the AMT re-release did not come with a truck. It was a 'stand alone' camper. I wanted to connect it to a truck, but found it hard to find a match. As you can see here on the photo, the suspension of the camper is too low.

The camper has two options. One is the 'stand alone' camper that you would tow behind something. The other option is to mount it on a pickup chassis. That would then use the pickup chassis suspension and allow you to connect the drive shaft etc. Check the directions. You will have to see how the camper fits onto the chassis. You may have to adjust it's wheelbase.

The Open Road camper was a specific brand and model that was offered from early to late 1960s, maybe into the 1970s so the '55 Chevy cab wouldn't be period correct. But that's not saying that someone wouldn't be able to mount the camper from a wrecked truck onto the older Chevy frame.

@Gluhead: Thank you for your advice. I ilke the idea of raising the camper and instal some shielding around the bottom. I have included a few photos of the scratch built garage. All made out of cardboard, balsa wood and coffee stir sticks. Ultra low budget! :-)

post-10095-0-04196800-1358055489_thumb.j

post-10095-0-25209900-1358055521_thumb.j

post-10095-0-23728600-1358055578_thumb.j

post-10095-0-24958400-1358055650_thumb.j

This kit was made for the 68-72 Chevy pickups. You can make it fit others.

Not to hijack your thread,but I built mine using a GMC cab. Are you going to weather yours?

Awesome built Pharoah! Yes that was the truck it came with back then. I admit it looks better than the '55 truck. I was not going to weather it, but you did a fantastic job on it! I might decide on another truck. I like the challenge.

The Open Road camper was a specific brand and model that was offered from early to late 1960s, maybe into the 1970s so the '55 Chevy cab wouldn't be period correct. But that's not saying that someone wouldn't be able to mount the camper from a wrecked truck onto the older Chevy frame.

I agree Tom, I'm going to see if I can make it work, but I probably should use a more year appropriate truck. That might explain why it does n't fit, eventhough both are scale 1:25.

, but hey this is America, where redneckineering abounds. Anything is possible with a little duct tape and a bfh. :D

So true Gluhead. I was even thinking of cutting a regular passenger car in half and place it in front of the camper. I saw photos of people who had done that with 1:1 cars. Talk about 'redneckineering'! :-)

post-10095-0-16525100-1358097245_thumb.j

lt makes perfect sense for the cab to be older. you'd by the truck before you bought the camper or else you'd have nowhere to put the camper ! So you bought a new camper to put on a 5-10 year old truck that you already had ! Problem solved !

Yes, I can see that happening Bartster! :-)

Buying this "Camper" loose is Doubtful as this is Not a Camper, but a "Mini-Motor Home"

This would have been sold Complete by some Chevy, etc dealers, but mostly by Open Road dealers

Winnebago sells Mini's like these too and all are ready to go not the bodywork for retro-fit.

That is not to say it was not done. If you could find one on a wrecked chassis and mounting it to yours.

Would take extra work, but doable.

The Mini-Motor Home kit was originally offered in the MPC 68 Chevy Cheyenne Fleetside kit.

The last issue as a stand alone parts pack allong with the "Racer's Wedge" car carrier

Your 55 Chevy cab has a Taller roof thus the difficulty in getting a good attachment.

Do you have the 55 Pickup chassis stretched? or are you just butting the 2 together??

Mount the cab to its chassis and test the fit of the Motor home to it. It will need the wheelbase

corrected. That AMT 55 Cameo is a Shortbox/short wheelbase version.

once the frame is corrected, you will likely have to shim between the chassis & Motor-Home

to get it ti sit correctly over the cab roof.

I went to look for pic's in my Photobucket of the build I am doing with this Motor Home on

a stretched Revell 65 Chevy, but have not uploaded it yet.

(Lost what I had typed here in a browser reset too)

As for the Tag-along parts added to this, I do not know that it would work.

There is NO chassis frame as port of the body, and the overhang would cause problems too.

Edsel-Dan is correct. I've seen Open Road on Chevy, Ford and Dodge chassis. Sold only as a finished motor home. I really never liked the Open Road's picture window on the back. It just seems to be a stress point that would move around as the truck was driven.

So.... what I'd do if I wanted to create something generic, use the camper but put a fixed back on it with a window in it or something. Alter it somewhat so it no longer is an Open Road. As Jaeron posted above, there were car based campers. There was one company that was producing these in limited quantities by buying late model cars that had been totaled out at the rear. The camper on this would be much more narrow than the Open Road kit. I've always wanted to build one of these, but figure I'd scratch build the camper.

An interesting thing is that when I was working on my Dodge Van based camper, I measured off all the interior components on the Open Road and found they were quite a bit out of scale. That's why I scratch built everything in my camper.

Do you have the 55 Pickup chassis stretched? or are you just butting the 2 together??

I cut the chassis in half and made it go under the camper. But I don't like the results. I'm not an expert builder. I think I will glue the Cameo chassis back together and finish that truck. I will come across a more suitable truck for the camper someday. It looks neat just by itself too.

I am not sure when the 'Cheyenne' name was added to Chevy's pick up, but do remember my 72

annual box stating CHEYENNE.

Most of the 67-72's I have are CS & CST, Some have the Cheyenne badge too.

Location of the badge, being a CS or CST will help with the model year of the kit.

I have 69's with the CS/CST on the door directly under the window, and on the front fender

just in front of the door line That is the location of the Cheyenne badge if it has that.

My first of this era Chevy/GMC pickup was the MPC 71 Annual New.

I now have several of them, though am not sure as to which are MPC & which are AMT

unless I got them in the box.

I have 3 unbuilt/started GMC shortbox Stepside, 4 of the MPC Longbox Stepside,

2 of the Heavy Pedal Long-Stepside issue, 2 '67's one a resin conversion,

69 awaiting restoration completion, 2 more 69's that Had the Motor home body

now only cab/chassis 71 Fire Truck resto project (no grill but the 71 front bumper),

boxed 71 Pickup with Wedge. That one was painted awaiting paint stripper. 2 of the Stock

hubcaps are damaged, but otherwise it is complete

I THINK I have a 68, but am not sure.

I got a lot of 5 Built painted that all I have done so far is replace the custom rims/tires with Stock tires & hubcaps

I need to take pic's of these!!.

I also got a LARGE lot of parts/built's from a "Wacko" dealer on evilbay at a VERY CHEAP price and have

maybe 5-6 more to work with including 2 Hazzard Tow trucks and 4-5 More of the Tow truck parts!!!

Also in the lot but in bad shape are 2 sets of Sierra Grande pickup bed sides!!

Just wish the script was in better shape!

Do you think I Like this era Chevy/GMC Pickup????

I found a couple pic's of my 65 Open Road project.

65Chevy-OpenRoadrs.jpg

65Chevy-OpenRoadLs.jpg

Sorry they are so dark, but my camera is Old, 1.3 MP and does not like to take flash pics

Notice some Chrome on the Dually centers??

They were the Chrome Reverse rims in the kit. The outer rings are from the parts box.

Tires are Rubber Firestone Gum-Dipped Darlingtons!!!!

Yes the ones from AMT's Turnpike Slotcar sets!!

They fit the wheel wells and look large enough for the build

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Sadly, The 72 seams to have disappeared again.

All the Recent re-issues (Even the Rides Mag version) have become High dollar kits on that evil bay place!!!

Mine is the Revell 65 stretched to fit.

The gap over the cab is because I have not added the separate cab roof piece yet.

I need to have a good Sunny day (BE Awake too) and take some more pic's showing the stretched Revell frame

It looks better because the 65's roof is not as tall as the 55!!

Entire Body is lower, not just the roof.

The Motor Home Can be mounted to the 55, just stretch the frame correctly then shim the body

to fit up and over the roof

Oh, The rubber bands are because I have not glued the walls of the Motor home body together yet

Edited by Edsel-Dan