Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I the first to lose a model?

So I finished the below pictured car about a week ago. It is a car that really turned out nice and I was proud of. I sat it on a shelf in my workshop, and don't recall moving it. Somehow, this car is gone.

2012-12-27153651.jpg

I asked my 3 year old daughter if she knew where it was. She said she threw it away, the dumpster took it, and Ill never see it again. I almost believed her. But there's absolutely no way she could reach this shelf. Not possible.

The only other possibility is maybe I put it back in the box (which I threw away). But wouldn't I feel a car knocking around?

So the car is gone. Someone might have thrown it away. Ill never know who though.

Rats.

A long time ago.

I had a finished 54 Chevy sitting on the table in the garage. Then it just wasn't there. Kids said they didn't know where it went.

It just seemed to vanish.

Two weeks later our Beagle got loose and I finally caught him half a block away in a neighbor's backyard.

There was what was left of it, in a mudhole!!!

I've lost models before! I have so many in progress projects, I go back for one and it has mysteriously vanished ( I believe a couple good models) have vanished to other mcm members (trading can be as addicting as e bay) so yes I've lost parts whether its my fault, the carpet monster, the cat, my toddler, or myself losing stuff all the time,whole models that dissapear are usually my fault but hopefully the models all went to new homes and not the dumpster

Lost forever ? I don't think so.

I have found stuff I thought I sold or just plain forgot I had and haven't seen it in some case 10 plus years( recent 1971 duster kit as an example)

Most recent was I found a baggie with a batch of stock resin grilles for a 1970 Duster,, I knew I bought but had no idea where they were.

Want to find something you lost,,,,,,,,buy a replacement then the original just miraclessly just pops up every time.

Had a resin kit of a figure on a motorcycle. Was working on building the figure and found the bike had disappeared. My wife had mistaken the clear plastic bag of white parts for an empty chip bag with some trash in it and thrown it away. I had already taken the trash out and the truck had already run. So I ended up having to track down another copy of the kit.

I tell you what, it's not the best of feelings not to know. I've woken up in a panic, and last year left a model at a show. Luckily, they found it and saved it for me. The Lab-RAT-ory is under lock and key and I've got an alarm set up, not to mention the hungry pack of dogs that guard it on a regular basis.

I had one stolen once. I built a 1967 Comet Cyclone as a funny car back in 1967. I altered the wheelbase and built a tubular frame from sections of sprue - did lots of scratch building on it, painted it metallic purple. It was the best model I had ever built back then. I had it in a hobby show at a local fair, along with about five other models. They won first prize, but when I went to take the models home, the Comet was gone. The displays were locked behind chicken wire, so no spectator took it. It had to be one of the other exhibitors. Of course, the people in charge of watching the displays saw and knew nothing! I never saw that model again.

Lost .............. no.

Stolen ................ yes.

A word of warning. If you are going to pack your own models while the movers are packing the rest, do it before they arrive.

We had them packed but think some neighborhood boys snagged the boxes out of the trailer we were loading out on the street to move.

3 boxes, 2 quite large containing most of my Johan unbuilts and most of my earliest builds.

really was disheartning when we unloaded at the other end of the move and finding them gone.

Called police up there but they said unless we actually saw them taking them, they wern't looking into it. :(

One hanging around was a city councilman's son. Which probably answered the question why.

In my case was, there was a rather interested fellow packing stuff in the same room. He asked questions, offered compliments etc etc. One box of completed models (my earliest stuff) didn't arrive in St. Louis. The military gave me the going rate for a model kit per lost model.

A few years ago when I wasn't building models I decided to go thru my stash and kind of organize things . Among the half finished models was a 1/16 Street Charger chassis . . . fully detailed , painted , wired, fuel lines , brake lines , the works ! I carefully packed it in the original box with plenty of TP for protection and put it back in my stash . The body and the rest of the parts went in another box and was also put away .

Fast forward to last year when I decided to start building models again . While going thru my stash I come across the Street Charger box and when I open it what do I find ? The body and all the parts ! The chassis wasn't there and wasn't any where to be found !

To this day I don't know what happened to the chassis , but back in those days I did enjoy my Jim Beam on a daily basis , so I'm guessing that it went out with the trash .