Model Cars Magazine Forum

Introducing the 2014 Corvette Berlinetta... 1st 2014 Vette sells for?

I think I just might have to have one! I have never like the vette enough to buy one; and didn't really see myself as a "vette guy" ; But this car is a game changer for me....it looks like GM has finally taken the "American style" down a few notches; you know, taken away a few layers of Mt. Dew & and Honeybooboo, and trimmed down to world standards. No doubt performance has always been there; but I think this new look will propel the Vette into SERIOUS supercar status.....Finally...................Matt

The car has good proportions and a pleasing overall shape, but to me, it's rather like a beautiful woman with a bunch of unrelated tattoos, piercings, and huge plastic protuberances. Why does EVERYONE these days seem to feel that festooning EVERYTHING with stupid, busy details is better than letting a clean, elegant design stand on its own? Less would most definitely be more on this thing.

The Corvette has been a Ferrari-killer for years now, and a world-class supercar for very reasonable money. Why copy the Euro look when the Corvette has its own impressive performance heritage? It IS, after all, an American car and has always been an American car. There should be no shame in that, as US-built vehicles have consistently proven themselves in competition against the BEST the world has to offer.

Trying to appeal to mass audiences with focus-groups, which the styling implies, isn't the way to maintain brand identity in a world where everything is starting to look like everything else.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Overall I like the design. It kind of looks like a transformer, though - a few sharper edges and the extra "vents" or black areas detract from what flow is there. As stated above, lets see it on the road - it's not the same evaluating a car in two dimensions.

As far as copying - design cues have had similarities since chariots (and before). It's a bit of human nature thing called trends.

The car has good proportions and a pleasing overall shape, but to me, it's rather like a beautiful woman with a bunch of unrelated tattoos, piercings, and huge plastic protuberances. Why does EVERYONE these days seem to feel that festooning EVERYTHING with stupid, busy details is better than letting a clean, elegant design stand on its own? Less would most definitely be more on this thing.

The Corvette has been a Ferrari-killer for years now, and a world-class supercar for very reasonable money. Why copy the Euro look when the Corvette has its own impressive performance heritage? It IS, after all, an American car and has always been an American car. There should be no shame in that, as US-built vehicles have consistently proven themselves in competition against the BEST the world has to offer.

Trying to appeal to mass audiences with focus-groups, which the styling implies, isn't the way to maintain brand identity in a world where everything is starting to look like everything else.

I have to agree... Anyone heard of Aston Martin? Just look at the previous DBS/DB9s... Beautiful, stunning cars, with powerful engines, beautiful interiors etc, yet without stupid, busy, "aero-dynamic" details.

Cliff

It kind of looks like a transformer, though - a few sharper edges and the extra "vents" or black areas detract from what flow is there. As stated above, lets see it on the road - it's not the same evaluating a car in two dimensions.

As far as copying - design cues have had similarities since chariots (and before). It's a bit of human nature thing called trends.

100% agreed, but the Corvette didn't become an icon by following "trends"...it created them. And the taillights look like they're from an entirely different car. They go with nothing else on it.

Many designs look MUCH better in 3D, in person, and I'm sure this will be an attractive car in the skin. I just wish it had been a real WOW!!!, instead just of another look-alike snoozer. The cars that created the truly important brands did it with individuality, by NOT copying everything else, but now the go-along-to-get-along, herd-mentality reigns supreme. Pity.

Couldn't agree more. I do like the current C6, it's the only Vette post-1967 I really like. This new one isn't bad from the door forward, but that back end is very busy and ugly, almost cartoonish/batmobile like. In that straight on shot of the rear, I found it kinda odd that while the all the lines flow inward and pulls you in towards the exhaust pipes, the third brake light does just the opposite, pointing outwards. Yes, it's only a small detail, but it jumped out at me right away.

Edited by bogger44

I honestly have to say I like the new design, and I was super hyped up about the new 7-speed (ya, the number 7) manual trans. However I read on another site that it will still automaticaly shift under relaxed driving conditions to meet the dreaded "government fuel economy stardards". What a joke, a manual trans that shifts itself, really? I would think those buying a corvette with a manual would not enjoy having the car shift itself when they are going down the road. Now to be fair I have only read this once, so if it is some sort of internet hoax someone please set me straight.

The high beltline and overly busy surface development are derivative and imitative of too many other cars. IMHO, this will be one of Corvette's lesser designs. It will age poorly, much as I think the C5 has done, although for quite different reasons. The C7 seems to be in the business of quoting too many current designs while the C5 took "long, low and smooth" to an almost charicature-like degree. Having said that, one thing about contemporary designs is that they almost invariably look better "in the metal" than in photographs. The extraordinary beauty of the Aston Martin line, for example, is almost impossible to capture in two dimensions - the near perfect proportional balance is totally missing from photographs. The stunning simplicity and purity of the Lamborghini Gallardo could only be appreciated when one experienced its compact efficiency in 1:1. The "overly busy surface development" of the C7 is aping, among others, recent Ferrari designs, as well as the current Camaros and Vipers. In the case of the Ferraris, at least, the surface cuts and folds work far better when seen in full scale and 3D than in press pictures. So I'll reserve final judgment until I seem one on the street, but in the meantime I confess I'm disappointed...

Edited by Bernard Kron

... Face it, GM is designing for who they think are the target audience of buyers.

Oh, right. People with no sense of design or style, but happily-mindless me-too followers of fashion. Kind of like all the cookie-cutter rebels, being different by being just like everyone else who's being different. Now I understand.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Bernard has stated it perfectly.

From an engineering standpoint I applaud several things. The move to less weight, excellent brakes, sensible tires. What kills that credibility is (still) the interior, upshift manual trans and a pushrod engine. A 'World-class' super car (groan) should have a millisecond 7 speed paddle shift trans-like the others. Period.

I know all about the LS family and 7K is doaable from street pushrods but it seems the design / engineering group aims for the bottom denominator. Because they know there is a large core faithful to the marquee despite formulaic design. The leather jacket CCCA owners or the 'look-at-me schmucks.

All the LeMans victory hoopla hasn't advanced the car's sophistication.

And a 240Z roofline from the '70's doesn't either.

As several pointed out, look to the Astons for what a street / track GT should be.

Oh, right. People with no sense of design or style, but happily-mindless me-too followers of fashion. Kind of like all the cookie-cutter rebels, being different by being just like everyone else who's being different. Now I understand.

Or someone more interested in the performance. I haven't looked into the car much to see what the numbers are. I would drive one - I wouldn't buy one :)

And, ya, don't get me started on the whole I'm-different-just-like-everybody else thing...

Let's not forget cost. While top-of-the-line versions are sky-high, Corvette has always been price-engineered by GM and delivers a superior package of price/performance at a fraction of the cost of cars like Aston and Ferrari. According to The Huffington Post:

"PRICE: Not released, but the car's chief engineer says people who can afford one now will be able to buy a new one. The current Corvette starts at $49,600."

I'll say only one thing about the new C7, "you won't find me buying one and I'm a Vette fan!!" Oh I forgot to mention, I couldn't afford one. At $55 grand+ its well beyond the price range of this guy but I will be patiently waiting for a kit of it.