Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monza Street machine

Davewilly

Here is a Monza I am working on. Its a combo of 2 baggie kits ai picked up at some model swapmeets The chassis , suspension & wheel tub section is from the Mustang II kit. Tires, Wheels and engine are from the parts box. This is what I have so far.

012_zps4b8c7b06.jpg

013_zpse7a8867e.jpg

014_zps189e2d60.jpg

015_zps4061d3e6.jpg

016_zpsa0884683.jpg

017_zps491622ea.jpg

020_zps011a627b.jpg

Havent picked the wheels foresure yet....But I want it to just have a street machine late 70's early 80's look.

Can we see the underside? Did you attach the front subframe to the front of the interior, ot did you make a new chassis for it? It sits JUST RIGHT!!!

The second picture shows the chasis...its straight from the Mustang II no changes. The interior tub is modified just at the wheel wells...i just replaced the monza wheel well section with the mustang and then added the Monza rear section back on to locate the interior tub in its proper location....basically anything in Yellow is from the mustang kit.

I have a Soft Spot for these GM H-Bodies. They are really fun cars in 1:1 scale, and I'm building one in 1/25 too. Your progress looks excellent so far, but for the wheel choice, I would think about Centerlines or Weld DragLites. Those look like 90s hitech to me.

• 6 months later...

I found the wheel look I wanted for my late 70's early 80's look. So here is what it looks like now. I mounted the firewall and modified the Monza radiator & support to fit the Mustang chassis. I also added some PE front disc brakes and calipers. Now to get the engine re built and work on finishing off the chassis/floor pan.

DSC01255_zpsd9407295.jpg

DSC01256_zps3ced67fb.jpg

DSC01260_zpsb66cfe95.jpg

DSC01259_zps394279b2.jpg

DSC01258_zps69d6d79e.jpg

Thanks Ray. I am kind of going for a high school kids street car from the early 80's. I friend of mine had one just like this so I am going off the memory of that one and cruising Speedway in Tucson on Friday & Saturday nights with him in the Monza and me in my 67 Camaro...Fun times!

I had a Monza 2+2 with the V8, and really really enjoyed that car, till a teenager in a Toranado ran a stop sign and t-boned me. That big car just sorta horseshoed my Monza. It was one of my favorite cars I have owned. Small, powerfull, and a blast to drive.

Your is going to be cool.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Mine was black with red interior. I recall one time I got pulled over, and while I do not recall the speed, but I do remember him saying whatever the speed was..then...."and accelerating". He was somewhat surprised with the very agressive low tone the duals had.

The only issue I had with the car was the weight of the engine was really too much for the suspension the car came with, so it would feel front heavy and needed aligned more than normal etc. If I were to ever get another one, I would try to put a better front suspension in the car. I wish I had more pictures of the car, the only ones I can find now are the ones after the teenager hit me.

I really am looknig forward to seeing where Dave takes this build, and then maybe see it in person at the Nov show or the Desert Scale classic next spring. This is what mine looked like, minus the side stripes.

32214051840_large.jpg

• 8 months later...

I built one of them as a very crude pro street, before Pro Street became cool, back in 1979. I used some Chevelle parts and it came out soooo wrong but it looked soooo cool. Yours is definitely a nice build and it got my thoughts going about a recreation of my old build...