Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vallejo Paints

These get great reviews. They go on great with a brush. But I'm struggling to airbrush them. Looks like some people thin and some don't. Most seem to say that they are airbrush ready right out of the bottle. But I'm having no luck. The most common problem is after about 30 seconds of airbrushing my airbrush gets clogged. I have no problem airbrushing other brand acrylics. Am I doing something wrong or should I just thin them?

If your using the Model Color paints by Vallejo you must thin those first before spraying with the airbrush. The Model Air Vallejo paints are spray ready right out of the bottle. Im also told that the NEW thinner is a must when spraying out the airbrush that the old thinner is horriable and creates nightmares. With the new thinner its night and day difference. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was just given a few bottles of these paints and I hear they are great. What do you use to thin them? Can I just use water?

Did you happen to read the post above yours? Sounds like Vallejo created an improved thinner for these paints. If for some reason you can't get this thinner, you can experiment with water, rubbing alcohol, Windex etc. Grab a pack of white plastic spoons from Wal-Mart and spray away.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an older post, but just a warning. DO NOT USE RUBBING ALCOHOL.

That is unless you like a nice congealed mess in your airbrush.

Vallejo paints are not alcohol based, and using alcohol to thin them will actually coagulate the paint.

I whole heartily recommend Vallejo's own Airbrush Thinner to thin both the Model Color and the Model Air paints.

Model color, mix about 3 parts of their thinner with 1 part paint.

Model Air, while pre-thinned for airbrushing already, if you want to slightly thin it some more, about 5 parts Model Air paint to 1 part of their AB thinner. Just enough to cut the surface tension of the paint.

While water will work, water literally just thins the paint out, I know that seems like what you want to do, but while it thins the paint, it also reduces the paint's ability to adhere. Their airbrush thinner is designed to work hand in hand with the paint, imparting a bit of retarder to the mixture, reducing tip dry on your airbrush, and help with adhesion to your kit.