Model Cars Magazine Forum

3-D Printing is now affordable

I have been following this technology for a while and did not realize just how cheap it is to buy a printer and make your own model parts. For $500.00 your up and running and the software to design the parts is free, there are three well known programs and google has one of them called sketchup. Just have to start saving up some cash to get one..................http://www.solidoodle.com/?gclid=CJGDmJT86LQCFetDMgodqWsAow

It is just totally amazing, what ever you can think up and draw in the program you can print out........

Just my personal opinion, going out on a limb here, I believe someday this will be a tool on the bench of a lot of scratch builders world wide. Its $43.00 for 2lbs of plastic but that can go a long way for miniature tiny little parts.......

As soon as I can come up with the coin im gonna try one out myself.

Edited by Darren B

Just my personal opinion, going out on a limb here, I believe someday this will be a tool on the bench of a lot of scratch builders world wide.

Not just your opinion. I've been saying it here for a long time. The day is coming where making your own parts via a 3-D printer is going to be as common as having an X-acto knife.

Not just your opinion. I've been saying it here for a long time. The day is coming where making your own parts via a 3-D printer is going to be as common as having an X-acto knife.

Pretty much, its amazing if there 500.00 now in a few years could be less, and if your good mechanical theres plans on line could build one yourself cheaper, what I liked about this brand is that its all built and ready to go, just learn the software to design the part. This one only builds 6"x6"x6" parts but thats perfect for 1/24th and 1/25th and probably parts up to 1/8th scale. I just find it fascinating, I spent more on a sherline lathe than this machine, and all i can do on the lathe is round parts. This printer can do anything.

Edited by Darren B

No doubt that as the technology evolves, the price will drop. Electronics generally follow that pattern. Computers, TVs, VCRs (remember those? :lol: ), etc.

I have absolutely no doubt that a $100 3-D printer will be sold at every Office Max, Staples, and even Walmart before the decade is over.

No doubt that as the technology evolves, the price will drop. Electronics generally follow that pattern. Computers, TVs, VCRs (remember those? :lol: ), etc.

I have absolutely no doubt that a $100 3-D printer will be sold at every Office Max, Staples, and even Walmart before the decade is over.

If not sooner, I cant wait

I would possibly be interested in one of these if I could see a sample of the quality and precision. I am wondering how it would compare to TDRs products being printed by shapeways. I know that there is different ways to print these parts with different types of printers. But it seems that the prices are becoming more affordable for anyone who would want to purchase one.

Wow, crazy to think of all the things that can be done. It will be interesting to see how this evolves and if the art of scratchbuilding a part is eventualy lost. If you can just draw it on a computer and print it, will it be considered in the same esteem as a scratchbuilt part, or will this open a whole new category of building techniques? I'm sure it is difficult to explain, but it should be interesting to see what the future holds.

I agree. I would love to see some test shots myself. This is just about affordable for me. My real hangup is the 3D artwork. I've tried it and just can't get a handle on it. :(

Yes, your correct. I can now afford the small cost of having some parts printed up in 3D. I have friends that can do it. And I understand Staples is ready to prodive 3D printing.

The big problem is doing the CAD drafting required. I'm not sure I want to learn how to do that.

Yes, your correct. I can now afford the small cost of having some parts printed up in 3D. I have friends that can do it. And I understand Staples is ready to prodive 3D printing.

The big problem is doing the CAD drafting required. I'm not sure I want to learn how to do that.

you only need 1 semester of it.

I can see model kits being sold online in a downloadable file, and printed at home.

That's exactly where I see this going. There will be a whole new crop of model kit "manufacturers" that will sell you a kit in printable form... all you do is buy the "kit" and print it out. No more injection molding machines, no more tooling, no more factories, no more packaging and distribution.

The music industry is almost there. It went from a physical product (first records, then tapes, then CDs) that had to be manufactured and packaged and shipped and warehoused and sold in brick and mortar stores, to where we are now... downloadable electronic files. Every year, CD sales are falling and music downloads are growing. Soon CDs will be relics of the past. I've read that auto manufacturers are already phasing out in-dash CD players.

The newspaper industry is going the same way. Every day, a newspaper goes out of business. Why bother with giant printing plants and huge rolls of paper and hundreds of trucks delivering the paper to hundreds of locations when you can do it all online a lot easier and a lot faster, and save a ton of money, too? It's a no-brainer.

I see the model car business going exactly the same way. Why bother with machines and factories and packaging and shipping and inventory when you can do it all electronically and eliminate all of that stuff?

It's inevitable. The only question is how soon will it happen.

Talk to friends into Paper models, they use Several 3D programs Pepakura, Metasequoia, Blender & Anim8tor

are 4 I know of

Just "Search" 3D drawing and you will find Many already out there.

I Build and Collect Paper Models along side Plastic & diecast, but do not Design they yet.

I have a few of the 3d freeware software programs on my PC too.

Pep, Anim8tor & Blender are in my Paper Models folder along with a few 2d drawing programs

I wonder if some program can be used to take a picture from a photo CD, and then convert the picture into whatever the printer wants to use?

I've tried CAD before, and wanted to throw the computer out the window. The most infuriating thing I ever tried aside from attempting to use one of my friend's so-called "smart" phones.

I'm personally waiting for a CAD drafting board that acts like a pencil and paper one. When those come out, I'll give it another try.

Charlie Larkin

There will no doubt be all sorts of easy "do it yourself" 3D software coming, maybe even in a package with the printers.

I would be more shocked if that did not happen.

I know alot of people wont want to agree with this, but this could be a very good thing for the model industry as a whole, how much money they will save, and all that savings can be used , well I was going to say tool up new kits, but rather desgin new kits, frees up more money for licensing cost, and so on

The only down side with down-loadable kits, is having plastic tires, I like having rubber tires, so that is one issue I can think of already, I am not going to guess, but I dont think we will see down-loadable kits anytime soon though, I am going to guess, 3D printing is going to have to become just as mainstream as ink printing, so its going to take awhile, but I am just guessing like the rest of us