Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom '57 International A-100

I've been working on this thing for a little bit, and since it was kinda-sorta loosely inspired by the 'Freakshow' custom Chevy pickup (which also sporst a Chrysler front end, and John Teresi is building a replica of it as we speak), I figured I'd post a few in-progress pics, and something of an explaination.

The initial idea started out by chance. I happened to have a Moebius '55 Chrysler body and an R&R '57 International pickup body facing each other on the workbench. I happened to notice how they were almost exactly the same width, and I wondered how the Chrysler front end would work on the Binder. At first I'd planned to use only the Chrysler nose, but I didn't think it would work well with the International's sculpted fenders. So it seemed a full frontal transplant would have to happen...

1-vi.jpg

After I had grafted the Chrysler front end to the International, I noticed that the Chrysler's stock trim lined up perfectly with the A-100 Golden Jubilee Custom bed side trim. That had to be some kind of sign, right?

2-vi.jpg

Of course, I had to bridge the Chrysler trim to the IH trim, so I used some D-shaped styrene to make a new side spear, and tied it into the upswept trim over the taillight coves. I also decided to incorporate the Chrysler's rear wheel openings and rear splash apron/bumper mounts. I used the same D-shaped styrene to create the new rocker panel line.

After all of this, I felt that the truck looked a bit ungainly with the stock-height top, so I took four inches out of the roof. It still needs quite a bit of bodywork at this point, but you get the idea....

IH001_zpse81bfef7-vi.jpg

And the 'Freakshow' inspiration? I'm planning on putting a gigantic supercharger on top of the 392 Hemi, and decking the truck out in a wild paint job, with wide whites and a rocker-scraping stance. The body looks like it's going to be the hard part at this point. I guess we'll see. Again, I hate bodywork, but I always seem to take on projects which require a lot of it... hopefully it'll be worth the effort this time.

Great move, Chuck ! Nothing more out of the ordinary than a hot rod Corn-Binder. I do believe it was meant to be ! I'm gonna love watching this one ! Are you gonna cobble up a hood out of the 2 ?

Hmmmmm......l wonder what '58 Plymouth fins would look like grafted onto the bed ??

Very interesting,it'd be a cool resin kit.

I'm actually toying with that idea. I'm thinking of doing another one with a chopped AND mildy sectioned cab, so I can blend the stock IH hood (which has a cool open scooped front) with the Chrysler nose. Even if I don't get it cast, I want to build it myself. B)

After all of this, I felt that the truck looked a bit ungainly with the stock-height top, so I took four inches out of the roof. It still needs quite a bit of bodywork at this point, but you get the idea....

Looks good so far. How does it look with the hood in place?

Looks good so far. How does it look with the hood in place?

No idea yet. And since the IH hood would require quite a bit of work to fit (forget the Chrysler hood altogether at this point...), I haven't even bothered with it. This one's going to have an exposed powerplant. B)

That cowl is Most peculiar, but, no less, diggin' your groove, Madman!

A thought. If you're leaving the engine exposed, a bright yellow Cat V8 from say the Ford short hauler would be a sight stuffed in there. Mo-tional sideshow belchin' up carbon!

Edited by mountaindewd

• 1 month later...

We call you the Madman for a good reason.. lol. Keep it up just no Alero or Grand Am front/rear clips.

If only there were Alero and Grand Am clips in this scale. :lol: Wait, there IS a really rare AMT Olds Intrigue promo... :P

There's about 3/8" of resin caked into the tops of the fenders, so this is about as low as the rear will go. Not sure if I'm digging the 'bum in the air' look, but we'll see. I really don't feel like spending an hour or so grinding out the wheel wells, but again... we'll see.

k001_zps1c78da62-vi.jpg