Model Cars Magazine Forum

1942 FORD STREET ROD

Ramfins59

After a week of family functions and other issues I was finally able to get back to some uninterrupted workbench time and I finished up this little 1/48 scale Tamiya kit of a 1942 Ford Army Staff Car which I made into a little Street Rod. At only 5 inches long this is a tiny little car compared to the 1/25 scale cars that I'm used to working on. I did the best I could in painting the plastic tires/wheels. First I painted them flat black and then did the neatest job I could with these old eyes of mine to paint wide whitewalls with flat white paint. Then I glued on polished aluminum baby moon caps from MCG which made perfectly sized full Moon hubcaps for this little guy. I painted the body with Pactra RC car yellow paint, added a couple of small flame decals (from the chopped '49 Merc) and a black pinstripe decal to the trunk. Putting the BMF trim on this little body was a real beeyotch as the molded trim was so thin that the foil didn't want to stick. I finally got it down right and then clearcoated the whole body to lock in the foil. The bumpers, grille and headlight bezels are painted chrome silver. This was a fun project and a good good break from other builds. Thanks for looking in on it.

The front turn signals and taillights are MV lenses which I glued into small drilled depressions in the body.

0011024x763-2_zpse9790b23.jpg

0071024x760_zps2f234160.jpg

0041024x762_zpsdb3cbfa2.jpg

0031024x763-2_zps366d14b6.jpg

0051024x751_zps7fcf6eb2.jpg

0061024x762_zpsc8bb4334.jpg

Edited by Ramfins59

Cool and great idea. Nice work on that little Ford - little as in scale smallness. I like the custom touches.

I have a small collection of "off-scale" kits that are fun to build and offer something different. In the military section, there are numerous kits in 1/35 and 1/42 - even some with full engine detail. People are missing out!