Model Cars Magazine Forum

70.5 Z28 10.5 Outlaw (WIP....Update 7.9.13)

hOLMS

• 4 months later...

would anyone be so gratuitous enough to help me make a drag chassis a roll cage for this same kit the AMT 70.5 camaro? I have tried and failed on MANY attempts. I can send the body of the car if you need it and I am willing to trade. please PM me. thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi all....spent a little time at the bench this week finally. I've spent most of the spring/summer on my other hobby, restoring vintage bicycles....been fun.

Anyways, spent a little time on this 10.5 beast this week. I've been doing some filling and smoothing up some areas, scratchbuilt the scoop, more frt end work to come, colored the rear bead-locks. Looks like I'll need to scratch a frt window too, cannot find the kit windshield anywhere. Oh well, it will be fun. I skip too much time in between visits, I need to finish this one. Thanks for looking.

combined1234_zps2e7f00fa.jpg

combined123_zps048d4439.jpg

combined12_zps3608604e.jpg

Hi all....spent a little time at the bench this week finally. I've spent most of the spring/summer on my other hobby, restoring vintage bicycles....been fun.

Anyways, spent a little time on this 10.5 beast this week. I've been doing some filling and smoothing up some areas, scratchbuilt the scoop, more frt end work to come, colored the rear bead-locks. Looks like I'll need to scratch a frt window too, cannot find the kit windshield anywhere. Oh well, it will be fun. I skip too much time in between visits, I need to finish this one. Thanks for looking.

combined1234_zps2e7f00fa.jpg

combined123_zps048d4439.jpg

combined12_zps3608604e.jpg

Jeff: Like a lot of ppl here, your slicks wheels have gathered a LOT of attention. I figured out the slick modification and did it by hand on a pair (check your PM), but the wheels are out of this world! Can you please tell us who you ordered the outside halves from, where you got the rear halves from, etc. unless you have to shoot us! It a fantastic build and the rears make it look so real. I wish there was a way to X-acto and sand a nice wrinkled wall effect, but hey, I don't have that kind of talent or extra slicks! You are getting me motivated in building my own rears, 4 links and even wheelie bars. I have this thread bookmarked for sure. You could put a quick booklet together of pics and tips from this build when complete, make copies at Staples and I'd buy one for $5 Paypal!!!

would anyone be so gratuitous enough to help me make a drag chassis a roll cage for this same kit the AMT 70.5 camaro? I have tried and failed on MANY attempts. I can send the body of the car if you need it and I am willing to trade. please PM me. thanks!

Are you looking for a chassis, a roll cage, or both? I just bought a lot from Ebay that just said "mountain motor" but it turns out it was from a '55 Chevy Revell Street Burner and even came with instructions, decals, etc. just missing the body, wing and engine. I think they sold them separately on Ebay for a profit (I bought the engine LOL). Anyway, I've seen this same chassis/roll cage used on a '66 Nova build. I'd recommend buying up a few lots like this for cheap ($8-10) on Ebay and parting it together yourself if you can.

Heck, I'm 56, disabled and haven't built a model in 45 years. The upload is failing or I'd show you my WIP which is almost done. Go for it and keep trying!

post-12210-0-69294900-1377615395_thumb.j

Are you looking for a chassis, cage or both? I've gotten moutain motor/pro mod parts donor kits off Ebay for less than ten bucks! I just got two, one is the chassis, extra parts, cage and a LOT of value from a Revell '55 chevy Streetburner kit, including instructions and decals! Just no motor or body. I bought the engine from the same vendor afterwards for $5! I already have the entire sealed kit to build next year; these parts were just mods for my 1st formal build in 45 years (I'm 56).

Why don't you try this method before giving up? I know I'm preaching to the choir as undoubtedly got way more build time than me LOL.

Anyway here are some shots of my 1st car (still WIP); please forgive the slight peel on the trunk and the overly zealous use of donor parts in the driver's area. I turned the pneumatic bottles/battery pack from the rear chassis into a dual NOS system; wish I'd known the flat molded piece on the top was a laptop for tuning, I'd have kept it!

post-12210-0-82765600-1377616897_thumb.j

post-12210-0-72116800-1377616985_thumb.j

post-12210-0-95217300-1377617032_thumb.j

Thanks for the comments guys and the welcome back, I'll try my best to hang around. That gives me great motivation to keep moving fwd on this one.

Small update, trimmed some of the bottom of frt spoiler and added a flat 1mm thk lip across bottom...needed to do a little something here as the stk length of spoiler almost set on the ground, now it is a scale 3" off ground. That's pretty close to what I was looking for and it will be nicely blended in. I've also started scratching the grill work, albeit different from stock but will be a smoothed and rounded over look to replicate a one pc style nose.

I have still not got the motor type figured out even though I have started the blown beast, I'm realy digging some of the turbo builds and could suit this one.

Mitch P...thanks for noticing the rear wheels, the front halves are from a top fuel kit and back halves were parts box pcs. Fronts were cut right behind center pcs, squared, cut back halves to length I needed, then mated back halves and blended. Both sides of rear wheels have bead locks.

IMG_2516_zps7d61c43d.jpg

IMG_2515_zps8f3862c3.jpg

IMG_2514_zpscdb50fbe.jpg