Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Top Blunders, Omissions, False Advertisements...

Ever look at a box top and think "What the?". Ever open a box and say "HEY, WHERES THE <insert missing part here> THAT'S ON THE BOX?".

Was there nobody at AMT in the 90s who looked at these built models on the box and said "You know, I don't remember the real car having such a high front end"?

13370401793261148797810_zps342dc12c.jpeg

il_fullxfull376815074_5jxk_zps88f1c62e.j

KGrHqRHJBkE63Vtjgy4BO4SW2p4gQ60_57_zpsa0

You know you have some crappy looking models on the box - some totally misleading pictures - let's see them...

I love it when they say "retouched photo of actual model."

Which translates in plain English to "we totally Photoshopped this picture, and if you think this is what's actually inside the box, the joke's on you, sucker!"

:lol::lol: There's one for the suckers that see it and blindly yell "MINE!" as the scoop it off the shelf on thier way by...oh...waitaminut! :huh:

I'm suprised that no one has posted this yet. The legendary AMT Flip Nose Corvette! :lol:

When I bought this kit, I thought it would be cool to build, since it looked nice on the box art. But then I found out that parts don't fit at all, and noticed the Retouched Photo Of Actual Model on the Box Top. :rolleyes:

corvette-57-gasser-amt-escala-125-modelo

Edit: Why part of my text dissapeared, and I had to write it again?

Edited by W-409

I'm suprised that no one has posted this yet. The legendary AMT Flip Nose Corvette! :lol: When I bought this kit, I thought it would be cool to build, since it looked nice on the box art. But then I found out that parts don't fit at all, and noticed the Retouched Photo Of Actual Model on the Box Top. :rolleyes: [img=http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/corvette-57-gasser-amt-escala-125-modelo-completo_MLM-F-72998803_5127.jpg] Edit: Why part of my text dissapeared, and I had to write it again?
iv had problems with the hood lining up and the top section where it meets the window

Those MoPar Recall wheels ARE in th e MPC 69 Barracuda though.

So Not like you can't get them to put On the Daytona.

I have 2 of the 69 Cuda so I have some.

How about the Grill on the Taurus Police issue??

Only decals. How are they suppose to show on a Black nose????

The CHP issue should have been a different agency!!

I have one of that issue & one of the Robo-cop issue. Both are suppose to be painted black

Black decals will NOT show on a Black body!!!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Those MoPar Recall wheels ARE in th e MPC 69 Barracuda though.

So Not like you can't get them to put On the Daytona.

I have 2 of the 69 Cuda so I have some.

How about the Grill on the Taurus Police issue??

Only decals. How are they suppose to show on a Black nose????

The CHP issue should have been a different agency!!

I have one of that issue & one of the Robo-cop issue. Both are suppose to be painted black

Black decals will NOT show on a Black body!!!!

True enough about the recall wheels, but the point is they were shown ON that box, and not INCLUDED. You want to part with a set of those? PM me.

Behold, the stunning 1/12 Ferrari 275 GTB. Originally created by Renwal, it was reboxed by Revell with a fabulous shot of a 1:1 car on the box top, featuring beautiful Borrani wires, and carefully cropped details on the side of the kit that don't begin to reveal what's inside. On the other hand, we have the original Renwal boxing with amateurish-looking artwork that is actually dead-on to the kit inside, with its droopy nose, too-long rear end without the proper spoiler, a top that looks chopped, some kind of square boxy thing on the hood, and poorly crafted Campagnolo mag wheels.

RevellH1287275GTB.jpg

Ferrari_275_GTB_Renwal_127_998_12th_001.

Edited by sjordan2

Plowboy is right on that 429 Vette by Revell! I bought at least 5 of them(I LIKE 68 Vette's) and all of my boxes were marked like that! I told my buddy who owned the stand(it was at a flea market type place) wanted them back after he saw they were ALL marked like that, foo thought they'd be worth something sometime. Yeah, I told him, watever is priced on the box is what they'll pay, NOT collector's prices! He STILL has the rest of the case he sold me sittin on his shelves!!!!

Perhaps the funniest "blooper" I've ever seen on a model kit box was on the 1988 Chevy C1500 pickup from AMT/MPC! On the box side, as a legal statement was "Manufactured under license from Ford Motor Company"! Now, I wonder if Ford got the royalties from that Chevy pickup kit? :rolleyes:

Art.

The Revell '68 Corvette with a 429 engine was a good one. I've seen ebay sellers trying to pass it off as a rare box misprint and asking crazy money for them.

That would be the same moronic sellers who also deal in the ultra-rare Hot Wheels and other hot die cast, nearly everything Mattel ever put out is rare and priceless you know!!

My nephew worked at Toys-R-Us for a very short time, the things that he tells about grown men (and a few women too) doing for a .99 cent toy are absolutely moronic to say the least. One of the funniest stories was about three guys who got into a fist fight right in the middle of the toy car aisle one pulled a gun on the other two over a toy car forcing the whole store to be cleared out! Every morning the same group of guys stand outside the door rain or shine, running through the aisles like banshees at a cattle stampede mowing everyone or everything in their path down!! We would go to the toy shows together, he'd point out the maroons who ran the Toys-R-Us stampede on a daily basis, with prices jacked up 5 times what they paid for the stuff. You talk to them and every peice is an "investment" they can get what they paid for them and then some. Sounds like the same kind of mindset doesn't it?

Note the bottom left of the box, which says it's 1/16 scale. It's not -- it's the same old 1/24 kit sold under many labels. This is a typo that made it onto a ton of this kit. There never was a 1/16 version.

Picture1-4.png

Would that increase the value of the kit and perhaps be a kit to leave shrink wrapped in the box to hand down from generation to generation in hopes someday being worth a mint ? I know I have a baseball card that has been handed down for generations that has the name misspelled which is worth a pretty penny today.

Would that increase the value of the kit and perhaps be a kit to leave shrink wrapped in the box to hand down from generation to generation in hopes someday being worth a mint ? I know I have a baseball card that has been handed down for generations that has the name misspelled which is worth a pretty penny today.

I will go out on a limb and say...no.