Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scottsdale car Auctions

Anyone watching the Speed channels coverage of the Barrett- Jackson auction and getting tons of ideas for builds? So many cool cars that could be built. Lots of '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s cars that have been in model kits through the years to get ideas for, and to possibly build for "way cheaper" then the ones there for sale. I like it when they show the underside of the car as it rolls slowly over the camera. I live near enough to the site at West World that I hear and see the private jets flying over head. Last word, there could be 400 of them landing there. That is 800 fly overs for me here. This is the real 1% wealthy, folks. They can buy the type of cars we dream about for pocket change, for them. They have pizza slices there that cost $75 a slice because they put real gold leaf on top. And they can't keep up with the orders. Guess you can't call your self wealthy unless you can eat and BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH real gold and bid on and buy cars that cost tens of thousands of dollars. The auction will be on TV tomorrow for another 10 hours or so. The big ticket cars will be on the block tomorrow. They will bring out the "real money". My favorite cars so far are the 2 LS7 '70 Chevelle convertibles going for over $175,000 each. The classic '50s Chevies sold there, both cars and trucks, are as good as it gets. They sold a miles deep black paint '40 Willys today with an injected big block and 15 by 15 rear wheels and huge by large rear tires. It had a 5 inch dump tube in front of the rear tires fed by a 4 inch exhaust straight from the headers. When they started it for the TV it roared and cackled like a drag motor. Be nice to buy that car and drive it to the local hang-out and set-off all the car alarms in the area. But for the price it went for I can dream of that a lot cheaper, plus for those bucks buy a house and furnish it. And build a model of the Willys' too. I am the "Wish full dreamer-TV watcher and low bucks "I can build a model of that car" Patrick .hearing those jets fly over day and night. Wonder if any of them built models as kids?

Hi Patrick. Been watching since auction started on Tuesday. It has been fun with the history lesson that comes with it too. Between TV coverage, live-streaming, the docket list, and time at the bench (multi-tasking :wacko:) it has been a week FULL of car stuff. Saturday is when the heavy hitters come out to play. Sunday has some interesting cars and trucks that are a bit more affordable for the average Joe. Looking forward to next years sale.

For me it's alot like this forum, although not as much auto history for the asking. If I looked at it as a source of inspiration i'd have a hundred projects going at once! :lol: Reference though? Now it's great for that...if I could just remember in what hour of the auction the car I want to reference was in... :huh:

Spent several hours this afternoon at the annual B-J event...was a sunny 75 degree day in dusty Scottsdale.

Indoors, the new car displays from Ford, Chrysler, and GM were impressive--- lots of new Mustangs in a variety of trim levels--GTs, Shelbys, Boss 302s, and aftermarket tuners versions...

Loved the various SRT Mopies (Challenger, Charger, 300, JGC)...saw the new Viper for the first time, very impressed.

At the GM stand, the new Silverado looked quite good in longbed crew cab form in a taupe color. The Hot Wheels Camaro SS was fun.

I enjoyed checking out the automotive art inside, esp. the vintage racing paintings.

The auction this year still had a vast array of '60s-70s muscle cars (loads of Mopies, Chevys, GTOs, etc) as in recent years and plenty of '50-60s full size cars, but there was also a nice group of classics--'30s Duesenbergs, Packards, Issotta-Fraschinis, Rolls Royces, etc. Some '50s concept cars--the Chrysler Diablo and Packard Mitchell as well as the Hudson Italia were standouts. Loads of '60s Shelbys, incl. the '68 'Green Hornet' coupe prototype/testbed, several '69-70 Boss 302s and 429s, Saw the '66 Batmobile briefly, it was so crowded around it I couldn't get too close.

Good times...been popping the Aleves tonight though, I'm too out of shape for so much walking...knees, ankles, shoulders aching.

As far as celebs, I saw Bob Varsha.

Currently watching the live B-J Scottsdale auction, which has the most exotic and collectible classics from the prewar era that they've ever presented. Sadly, the commentators' researchers haven't provided them with a fraction of the information they need to know about these cars, particularly a Bugatti of very questionable background, and they seem totally over their heads. You can be sure that Craig Jackson got as many qualified bidders as he could put together for these cars, which are the only ones with reserve prices, but a number of them went unsold. B-J has no credibility other than as a seller of overpriced 60s-70s muscle cars for Baby Boomers with big retirement funds and Silicon Valley millionaire kids.

And now comes Batmobile number one. If this sells for less than $5 million, it will show the weakness of B-J as a serious venue for important cars, based on the sale of last year's Bugatti Atlantic by RM Auctions - one of four - at $35 million.

Edited by sjordan2

Honestly, I just can't deal with the inane patter between the commentators, the five minutes of commercials every three cars, and the interminable charity auctions . Some of the cars are interesting, but how excited can anybody possibly get by the time the tenth '70 Chevelle 454 SS rolls across the stage? I would like to check out the auction in person some time, but it's been a long time since I had any real interest in watching B- J on TV.

I've been watching the auctions on and off all day and like Jason said above, the commercials, the charity stuff, and the repetitive, same-old,cars leave a lot to be desired. I do get some ideas from some of the cars but nothing I would have to drop everything I'm working on to build.

And now comes Batmobile number one. If this sells for less than $5 million, it will show the weakness of B-J as a serious venue for important cars, based on the sale of last year's Bugatti Atlantic by RM Auctions - one of four - at $35 million.

It's hard to compare values of rare vintage cars like the Bugatti Atlantic with made-for-tv Barris cheese like the Batmobile.

Edited by Rob Hall

Honestly, I just can't deal with the inane patter between the commentators, the five minutes of commercials every three cars, and the interminable charity auctions . Some of the cars are interesting, but how excited can anybody possibly get by the time the tenth '70 Chevelle 454 SS rolls across the stage? I would like to check out the auction in person some time, but it's been a long time since I had any real interest in watching B- J on TV.

Considering the little wedge shaped nothings that have come out of Detroit for the last 38 years, and littered our driveways and hwy's with zero eye candy, can we ever really get enough of looking at perfect 1970 Chevelles?

Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat