Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show off your weathered ......... mistakes.

Jantrix

I was reading the Weathering Vol 4 thread and thread originator mentioned how the models finish was damaged and he decided to weather the model rather than repaint. This made me smile because I've done something similar here recently and I wonder how often does this happen?

If this has happened to you post 'em up and tell us what happened.

In my case a reaction between paint and clear caused some nasty crazing but it looked very close to old 1:1 paint cracking due to age. So I got out some acrylics and began the weathering. The model was going to have minimal weathering and just a nice suede finish.

2012-12-08224503.jpg

2012-12-18111041.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Nice work. I like the crackle on the nose.

There are those of us who intentionally build beat old weathered models :rolleyes:

I've had the opposite happen to me. I was building an old Dodge van that was going to be dull and look like a brush paint job. I used Duplicolor and it came out amazingly perfect. Oh crud! I weathered it anyway since the body already had rust holes.

Ummm.................my goal here wasn't to show off my model (although I will, rather shamelessly) but to start a thread for other poeple that have done this to post up their work.

You know one of those, "Show me your _____________!" threads.

I'll just rename it and remove the confusion.

Edited by Jantrix

I was real happy with the finish on this one except for one little spot on the driver's door. I tried matching the paint a minimum of four times and failed each time with the spot growing each time. Actually the paint was perfect until I masked it off to spray the headliner a lighter color, which bleed through the tape. Anyway the end result speaks for it's self. My Junk Yard Dog one and only Mustang. 009.jpg010.jpg012.jpg013.jpg

Revell AG MkII Golf. I was going to try and make a nice custom car, but between the ill fitting bodykit, and the two-tone paint reacting badly. (Duplicolor black and Plasticote silver, I believe).I tried to fix the paint twice, but got the same results... :angry: Should've gone with one color, or the other, I know. Anyways, I turned it into this amatuer weekend race car.

102_1382.jpg

My first rally car. A Fiat 131 Abarth. I was having trouble with the large decals, especially over the hood scoop and rear brake vents. The heavy mud hides alot.

100_0657.jpg

mustang_front1-vi.jpg

Love the Rustang! Here's one I've been working on for years. Started as a mint kit, with intent of making exactly what you see here. I was working from photos of a 1:1 that looked exactly like this!

I would like to try one of these, I like the look.

heres one of mine looks better now i think

attachicon.gifphoto (59).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto (62).JPG

but learning to paint is fun

thanks ryan

I have to agree, that is a cool '40.

Yeah its a mid 90's Civic so the inner structure is still mainly the same into the early 2000's. I only mentioned that because what you built should be fairly accurate to the real car of that year.

Thanks I built it from a ton of reference photos of junkers and stolen cars being sold on eBay. Here's some of them:

http://public.fotki.com/ModelCitizen/11_car_reference_library/honda-civics/

MVC014S-vi.jpg

I had the same problem with decals on this project! Mine were made on the Xerox machine and looked just fine until I hit the model with clear coat. Then bits of the black print just dissolved! You can see it on the word "SECURITY". I looked it over and decided it fit into the project and left it. I wasn't going to strip and repaint this car at that point!

Edited by Tom Geiger