Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pattern work

chris_thobe

Here are a couple more kandy pattern jobs that I have been messing with. First is a AMT Prestige 63 Impala. This car was a quick job. About 24 hours from bare plastic to paint done, ready for foil and clear. It is kandy HOK Root Beer brown.

rootbeer1_zpsb132453b.png

rootbeer2_zpsffee085a.png

The next one is a 37 Chevy Master Deluxe resin body. It is all HOK kandy apple red with red nail polish for the body color.

37Chevy10_zps24dfb6ce.png

37Chevy12_zpsf034a7d7.png

37Chevy13_zpsb0034f7b.png

37Chevy22_zps60c22d36.png

37Chevy24_zpsa468b360.png

Chris, that is some spectacular work! Let me pick your brain a bit, how do you get the masking tape stripes so fine? I've always wanted to try one of these paint jobs, but just haven't figured out how you guys get the tape so thin, or how you don't get any paint bleed-through on such fine lines.

Take 2 blades and tape them together. The closer then tips of the blades are, the thinner the lines are. Then cut strips from a piece of 2 inch wide masking tape. I have a "how to" thread on Layitlow.com. Look in the model section and its on the first page.

tape_zpsd60158b5.png

Thanks for the compliments!

Thanks for the info Chris, Ir eally appreciate it! I've got an old AMT '64 Impala around here that I'm going to use for practice!

Perfect car to start with! Thanks everyone. I get a lot of questions on how I do certain things. I love helping out other builders, because it is my way of giving back to the hobby. I am going to try to get some of the cars out to some shows this year.