Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing laquer from Resin question

I have a Shawn Carpenter 1962 Grand Prix I painted a few years ago with laquer and never finished it. I am going to start on it again and I want to remove the paint and try another color. What should I use to remove the laquer? I have read easy off oven cleaner will remove the paint and not hurt the resin. I have also read Pine-Sol works. Thanks

In olden times I had this discussion with some casters (the originals attending the Toledo Shows) . Brake fluid - No ! Easy off - High Risk . Formula 409 - this is what was recommended and I use since then . If it works , don't fix it . Recently , Arleen's (found at Dollar Stores) , was praised . I tried it and I liked it . I now use both of these . On all type of plastics . Including the Pioneer Model Car Kits . The kits from Pryo , Ringo , Strombecker , Hawk , ect. . I still do a soak in Whestley's and wash with Ivory Dish Soap . This is 99.9 % pure . No moisturizers to soften hands . Thanx ..

I THINK I READ A TOPIC ON THIS A WEK OR SO AGO, THEY MENTIONED "TSP", I KNOW PAINTERS USE IT TO CLEAN THE SURFACE, & IT WILL SOFTEN THE OLD PAINT SO THE NEW PAINT WILL STICK BETTER. IT COMES IN A POWDER, THE MORE POWDER YOU USE, THE STRONGER IT GETS. I HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET

Go to the auto parts store and buy a gallon of the Purple Cleaner-Degreaser. I will guarantee it will not ruin your model and will take the paint off. I have tried the other formulas mentioned and sometimes success and sometimes the resin melted or was mis-shaped. When you pull it out of "The Purple Pond" after soaking at least 48 hours,use a stiff bristle brush and it should come off fairly easy, if some paint still remains soak it again.

I forgot about the Rubbermaid sealed containers . I cannot tell you how long as I tend to place the parts/bodies in the "Tanks" and forget about them . I've left some in there for up to 6 months . The only problem I have is Black . Especially that black from the early days of Model Paints . I've had some Ringo and Strombeckers as a problem . Thank you for more sources I was not aware of . Thanx ..

Scalecoat is a great product, not inexpencive but I've used the same stuff for YEARS. Just keep it in a sealed Rubbermaid container.

Yes John, I also keep the Scalecoat in a sealed Rubbermaid container. I use a toothbrush dedicated for this use for scrubbing panel lines & such. I also keep another sealed container with Westley's Bleche White for cleaning resin parts.

I would be VERY careful with Scalecoat on resin. I do remember Don Holthuas cautioning against its use, at least on his resin.

I have used with reasonable success, oven cleaner and Whestley's, on resin for stripping paint, enamel and lacquer alike. The trick is to work quickly with it, especially the oven cleaner.

I haven't tried SuperClean, but I imagine it would be okay, try a piece of scrap first to be sure.

Side-note, is Shawn Carpenter still casting? I remember he had some pretty neat stuff.

Charlie Larkin

Go to the auto parts store and buy a gallon of the Purple Cleaner-Degreaser. I will guarantee it will not ruin your model and will take the paint off. I have tried the other formulas mentioned and sometimes success and sometimes the resin melted or was mis-shaped. When you pull it out of "The Purple Pond" after soaking at least 48 hours,use a stiff bristle brush and it should come off fairly easy, if some paint still remains soak it again.

I wouldn't do that if I were you!!!!!!!! I've been a resin caster since 1993 and I've seen that Purple stuff (Castrol Super Clean and the others) soak into the resin and ruin it! Not all resins are the same and I'm sure there are some that it won't affect but I sure wouldn't take that chance!!!! The only thing I ever use to clean or strip paint from any resin part is Westly's Bleach White folllowed by a good wash in dish washing soap and warm water. Never had any problems and I have a LOT of resin from MANY different companies!

About a month ago, I used the Castrol Super Clean to strip a resin hood that I had sprayed with Testors One Shot Lacquer. It took about a week to lift the paint but it swelled the resin and made it rubbery. It hardened back up after a couple of weeks but it was still swollen. I had to sand it back down to fit. It also flattened out and I had to stretch masking tape to reshape the bow that it was supposed to have and let the hood cure for over two weeks. Luckily I saved it.....so I would very much agree with Ben....Don't use the purple stuff on resin!

I also stripped a plastic body with PineSol because a friend recommended it. It ruined the plastic! PineSol is for toilets....that's where it should stay!