Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hit and run

So I was going through the video store (yes there are still some around) I grabbed a movie called "hit and run" simply because it had a 67 lincoln connitinetal on the cover. I was pleasently surprised by the movie for a couple reasons. One reason was the cars. There was eye candy in a lot of the scenes even in background shots. The chase scenes were done pretty well and there are a few of them. The number one reason I feel this movie is worth mentioning is the fact that no classics were injured or harmed in anyway during the making of this film. That is not normal for a car chase movie and I applaud the makers for sparing fine automobiles!!!

My father will hate hearing that. He owns a '67 Connie, and since none were destroyed, his won't theoretically be worth more or more collectible now because fifty of them weren't destroyed in making this film. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen this yet, but that Lincoln is really calling out to me...

untitledn-vi.png

I'm sorry, but I quite fail to understand all the handwringing over cars being damaged/destroyed in the making of motion pictures or TV shows. With only a few exceptions (such as the one and only Lincoln Futura dream car being cobbled into the TV Batmobile), the cars used as props in Hollywood are, and pretty much have been for decades, mass-production items. Somebody check me if I'm wrong here, but when a Movie/TV studio does rent a collector car, they generally do not damage it in any way--but if it's to be "expendable" in the making of a film or TV episode, virtually always the car is one of a mass of the same thing. So, can we get a break from all the whining over "they destroyed (however many) 1968 Whatchamightcallit GT's to make that awful movie"?

Art

The 67 Continental in Hit and Run is actually the star's (Dak Phoenix) own car. He's a big car buff and did a lot of the driving work himself.

Dax Shepard. He actually stared, produced and co directed the movie.

Watched this movie The other night, simply because the cars and chase scenes looked good. Not a bad movie, not great either but it was entertaining. Tom Arnold is great in it and Bradley Cooper makes a convincing bad guy. I recommend it as a fun way to kill a couple hours on the weekend. I really want to build that Lincoln.

Edited by drunknmunky

I'm sorry, but I quite fail to understand all the handwringing over cars being damaged/destroyed in the making of motion pictures or TV shows. With only a few exceptions (such as the one and only Lincoln Futura dream car being cobbled into the TV Batmobile), the cars used as props in Hollywood are, and pretty much have been for decades, mass-production items. Somebody check me if I'm wrong here, but when a Movie/TV studio does rent a collector car, they generally do not damage it in any way--but if it's to be "expendable" in the making of a film or TV episode, virtually always the car is one of a mass of the same thing. So, can we get a break from all the whining over "they destroyed (however many) 1968 Whatchamightcallit GT's to make that awful movie"?

Art

Just watch a few episodes of CHIPS and watch the same cars get wrecked over and over again in multiple episodes.

A family member who used to work for the studios as a body man will tell you stories of how these cars were cobbled back together time after time.

He will also point out on multiple episodes how they used the same wrecks over and over because of using multiple camera angles to film from them filing what they didn't use in one for use in future episodes!

Also repainting the vehicles in new colors as to not be showing all the cars over and over the same!

Said it was a nightmare!!! :lol:

Art

Check the original version of "The Italian Job" where Ferraris, a Lamborghini and an Aston Martin convertible, among others, are crunched to death or pushed over a cliff. True, most of them were damaged to begin with, but it's gut-wrenching nonetheless.

Edited by sjordan2

Check the original version of "The Italian Job" where Ferraris, a Lamborghini and an Aston Martin convertible, among others, are crunched to death or pushed over a cliff. True, most of them were damaged to begin with, but it's gut-wrenching nonetheless.

To the studios who made the original "The Itallian Job" those cars were not yet classics, they were only high dollar for the time cars to be used as props. Almost the same as all the cars wasted filming the "Dukes of Hazard". That was a time between the gas crunch era that killed the Muscle Car and the booming 90's economy that created lots of extra spending money for nearly everyone. Who could have looked into their chrystal ball and seen the high dollar Muscle Car values we are seeing today. It sure didn't happen with the cars of the 20's onward to the 50' or 60's classics those prices boomed along the same time the Muscle Cars did.

The major factor in the price/value boom is the "Designer Auctions" that have almost priced the average car collector out of the hobby. "The original "Itallian Job" also wasted a whole bunch of (now collectable) Mk I Mini Coopers during its filming. It is twice the movie that the later version is, for years the car chase was in the top 10 movie car chases, don't think the "remake" will ever stack up with those numbers. The later version was pretty much made for one reason, to sell the BMW MINI to the public, big car commercial that worked quite well.

Art

Mass produced? Yeah. 40 or more years ago. They aren't being mass produced now. I think if a car has managed to survive past used car middle age, some consideration should be taken against smashing it simply for the sake of entertainment.

Though these were mass-produced vehicles, through time and attrition, they are no longer easily found. Just like endangered animals, the pool of availability is ever shrinking. My personal pet peeve is when Chip Foose or someone else starts with a pristine vintage car and then proceeds to tear it down and customize it. Like they say, "It's only original once." I always hope to see the original unrestored cars cared for so our grandchildren can see them. There are many projects that need a little work in junkyards all over the country that could be used instead. Just my opinion.