Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best kit for motorhome conversion

That depends mostly one the type of Semi you like best.

The New Mobius International Prostar, would be the best for Accuracy.

Not many of the Older semi's were converted like that.

Unless they have been recently.

Most are Custom built on New chassis.

Sheet styrene is going to be the shell/body of the Home section.

If you wanted Less Sctratchbuilding, you could start with Revell-Of-Germany's Neoplan City Liner Bus.

They Are used as platforms too. More so actually.

Here you would only have to alter as many of the windows as you wish by painting, and confine

most of the scratchbuilding work to the Inside.

Having an MPC/Model-King AMT issue of the Open Road Mini-Motor home kit will help with some interior parts.

But you can also fine 1/2 inch scale Doll house furniture for this.

If you want an insane, super-heavy-duty looking rig, then a $20.00ish Revell 359 Pete or Kenworth W900 kit would be an easy conversion. Being that they're inexpensive kits, you can experiment with them without worrying about messing up an expensive kit. Also, being that the cab/sleeper floor and frame are molded as one piece, the frames don't have any flanges. You'd need to add flanges using some .040x .080 Evergreen strip to make them accurate and while you're doing that, it's easy to cut the frame and splice in some extra length.

Seems to me that Monogram who later re- released a "Big Rig" in 1-32nd scale , had the chassis basics to do a "Light Duty " or Class II Motor home . I think it was a Peterbult . Regardless, , you need a substantial frame and heavy wheels . This chassis could then accommodate a 1-25th scale cab . If it were me , I'd simply scratch build a copy of a Winnebago or something like that . If you go to a Michael's , they had lots of these kits at one time .............

Edited by Eshaver