Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Corvette 'Sock it to Me' ?

CEKPETHO BCE

• 4 weeks later...

Round 2/AMT is aware of the issue with the tires and will issue extra tires if you want them. Though honestly, anyone that buys this kit to build stock doesn't deserve a full set of tires... :D

Good info. I'm thinking about the Bonneville racer options and the tires offered just won't get it done.

By the way, this kit really is everything said about it, but the slotted mags are very well done. I bought one today to build as a quick box stock build for contest.

Edited by Jantrix

• 2 years later...

Well now, it's a little tricky to say - MAYBE there's someone who'd pay over retail knowing he's getting the orange one.

Down the road, however, it might appreciate 'cause it's rarer and it's something the box keeps a little "surprise" for you.

I side with thems what say model kits are fer buildin', so if you wanna see how that orange would come out finished, go do it! If you'd prefer a white kit, though, that might be reason enough to stash this one.

I bought one of these not too long ago because 1) it was 1/2 price and 2) I really love the box art. The proportions are pretty good overall...except for the nose...but I've known about the problems with the 4-eyed AMT Corvettes for years. No surprise there. I plan to do an M/SP drag car with it anyway, and I'll be covering the headlights and using a different frame...the kit's two biggest shortcomings.

There's a lot of good stuff in the box, so even with the known problems, it's worth buying...unless you want an accurate stocker.

I believe so... I don't think those parts ever changed over the years.

The original issue of the 61 and 62 Corvettes had separate headlight bezels and lenses that were much closer to correct (tho not perfect.) (See step D). When the 62 was re-issued, the opening trunk was molded shut, and some really poorly done headlight bezels were molded into the body.

Instinsides-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

I scored an orange one yesterday bought sealed off craigslist yesterday it's really awesome. Are these any more valuable now I don't know what to do with this one?

Wow. That's crazy! It looks like transparent orange plastic with embedded metalflake! What are you supposed to do with that?

When they said "orange" I thought it'd be regular solid orange plastic (which would still need paint to look presentable.)

I bought one of these not too long ago because 1) it was 1/2 price and 2) I really love the box art. The proportions are pretty good overall...except for the nose...but I've known about the problems with the 4-eyed AMT Corvettes for years. No surprise there. I plan to do an M/SP drag car with it anyway, and I'll be covering the headlights and using a different frame...the kit's two biggest shortcomings.

There's a lot of good stuff in the box, so even with the known problems, it's worth buying...unless you want an accurate stocker.

Just covering the headlights doesn't solve their problem. They're too small, and everything behind them is keyed off of their too-small size, so the whole tops of the front fenders are wrong as well.

I built one, but I'm almost sorry I did. But of course just after I finished it, Revell announced their far superior new-tool kit, so y'all can thank me for THAT.

And you're right, that kit is a pretty cool old "parts mine."

The problem with the AMT 1962 Corvette started in 1967 when AMT made it part of the Trophy series. The original annual kit had good headlights,

AMT reshaped a new bezel, too small and headlights even more small. It is bad, but can be repaired.

To fix, file down the headlight about 1/16" flat. Get the Modelhaus resin copies of the original AMT annual Corvette kit bezels and glue over the flat area. You can get clear lights from Modelhaus or use 5mm dia MV lenses.

It will amaze you how much better it is after that is done.

Just covering the headlights doesn't solve their problem. They're too small, and everything behind them is keyed off of their too-small size, so the whole tops of the front fenders are wrong as well.

You're right of course, and I simply used the wrong term. "Molding in" of the front lights, while correcting the lines, and conversion to a one-piece flip-up nose, is what I had in mind. :)

The problem with the AMT 1962 Corvette started in 1967 when AMT made it part of the Trophy series. The original annual kit had good headlights,

AMT reshaped a new bezel, too small and headlights even more small. It is bad, but can be repaired.

To fix, file down the headlight about 1/16" flat. Get the Modelhaus resin copies of the original AMT annual Corvette kit bezels ...

Good to know. Thanks. :D

Revell vs AMT 62 Corvettes is a mixed bag.

The Revell is more detailed, but the trunk area of the AMT is better. A lot of the original annual kits seemed better in shape to me.

Buy both, smash them together.

Have never noticed this. I bought the gasser version of the Revell kit solely because it contains the hard top. I'll keep this in mind.

At one point I was going to bash the AMT '62 with the MPC '60 to make a good '62. Now I'm thinking of bashing the two together to make a '61, just to be different. I can still paint it in my beloved Honduras Maroon.

BTW, here's my AMT '62, showing just how small those headlights look. I Snake-slapped this thing together just because I wanted to lay the Model Master Honduras Maroon on something. B)

AMT62Vette06.jpg

Have never noticed this. I bought the gasser version of the Revell kit solely because it contains the hard top. I'll keep this in mind.

At one point I was going to bash the AMT '62 with the MPC '60 to make a good '62. Now I'm thinking of bashing the two together to make a '61, just to be different. I can still paint it in my beloved Honduras Maroon.

BTW, here's my AMT '62, showing just how small those headlights look. I Snake-slapped this thing together just because I wanted to lay the Model Master Honduras Maroon on something. B)

AMT62Vette06.jpg

Looks like you have it sitting nice. What wheels did you put on it?

Thanks. It looks cool.

Thanks. Here's another shot that better shows the "sit." I was going for a late '60s/early '70s look. I must have seen one like this as a kid or something, because such an image has been in my head for decades.

AMT62Vette03.jpg

Snake, thanks for posting shots of this kit built...especially the side-shot. It looks to have quite good general proportions (other than the headlights), so you've assured me that my plan for this one will work without too much remedial effort.

Good looking Corvette, sir. Good color, perfect wheels.

Thanks. Here's another shot that better shows the "sit." I was going for a late '60s/early '70s look. I must have seen one like this as a kid or something, because such an image has been in my head for decades.

AMT62Vette03.jpg

Very nice !

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having problems with the decals from this kit? I'm in the process of building it, having all kinds of issue with the decals "setting up" way too fast. The adhesive seems to set before I can get the decal in its final position. So far, I've only had the trunk decal completely fail on me. I had similar issues with the '76 Nova pro street as well.