Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upsides and downsides to Lindberg kits?

For the past 20+ years I have always been skeptical of the quality of lindberg kits and because of that have never bought or built one. They now have a few models that I am seriously thinking of purchasing but i do not want to end up being dissapointed upon opening the box. Can anyone give their opinions on their kits in terms of quality,detail?? Upsides,or downsides?

Thanks!!

I think it depends upon the kit. I have the 32 Ford roadster pickup. Its pretty poor. I have the "1929 Tee" which I sorta like because of its vintage appeal. And I have this one. I picked it up on ebay, took it apart and freshened it up. Went back together without a hitch. One thing to beware of is that some of their older kits have plastic tires.

DSCN0684-vi.jpg

The same question applies to all the model companies. All of them have gone through different periods under different management with different mind sets. The detail quality and complexity of the kit changed with each changing of the guard. Some of the companies have even acquired tools from former companies so the work may not be the same you'd expect from them.

Some of the older Lindberg stuff was simple, toy like and poorly molded. Later date stuff like the '53 Fords were done in the modern era by more astute management so those are nice kits.

The same question applies to all the model companies. All of them have gone through different periods under different management with different mind sets. The detail quality and complexity of the kit changed with each changing of the guard. Some of the companies have even acquired tools from former companies so the work may not be the same you'd expect from them.

Some of the older Lindberg stuff was simple, toy like and poorly molded. Later date stuff like the '53 Fords were done in the modern era by more astute management so those are nice kits.

Perfectly stated. B)

They now have a few models that I am seriously thinking of purchasing but i do not want to end up being dissapointed upon opening the box. Can anyone give their opinions on their kits in terms of quality,detail?? Upsides,or downsides?

If you can list the specific kit you're considering, we can give some more direct feedback. There may be reviews of the kit in the Kit Reviews sections, too.

This is actually a rebox of an old Palmer Plastics mold- it's a fairly terrible kit, as were all of Palmer's 1/25 cars. If you compare the box top photo with an actual '71 Mustang, they don't really look that much alike- the model looks more like a '70 with a lackadaisical attempt at a '71 front end grafted on. I'd pass.

I think it depends upon the kit. I have the 32 Ford roadster pickup. Its pretty poor. I have the "1929 Tee" which I sorta like because of its vintage appeal. And I have this one. I picked it up on ebay, took it apart and freshened it up. Went back together without a hitch. One thing to beware of is that some of their older kits have plastic tires.

DSCN0684-vi.jpg

This is a cool like truck btw... I am assuming it is kit bashed and not OTB. That would be a neat little bugger to have.

This is actually a rebox of an old Palmer Plastics mold- it's a fairly terrible kit, as were all of Palmer's 1/25 cars. If you compare the box top photo with an actual '71 Mustang, they don't really look that much alike- the model looks more like a '70 with a lackadaisical attempt at a '71 front end grafted on. I'd pass.

Agreed. Don't buy it. It's a horrible kit.

The MPC/AMT '71-'73 Mustang kits are much better, but still not up to modern/current kit standards.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Oh well,Thanks for the heads up,I appreciate that.

Thx Eric. Since I'm not the original builder I'm not certain what was done to it, but to me it looks like its OTB. All that he changed was to put the spinner hubcaps on and lakes pipes that appear to be from AMT's 32 Ford coupe. There is no evidence of any surgery performed. All of the white is bare plastic.

Guest G Holding

Most lindberg kits are poor...vs what is currently being made. That said, they do have a few kool kits,to start with..the 34 PU and the 64 dodge 330, both will take a bit of work, but thats what makes it fun.

That is pretty much as Lindberg tooled and produced this kit back about 1961, with the exception of the hubcaps and lakes pipes.

Art

Yup, and frankly I was amazed that the thing comes chopped AND channeled, quite well, and offers the only styrene '32 closed truck cab I know of. The frame is simple and next to useless, the tires are hard-plastic, the engine is kind of a blob and the bed is very simple (though it can be the basis of a nice custom piece, cut down or modified). All that said, the CAB (correctly proportioned with a serious chop) and the fenders are a terriffic jumping-off point to scratchbash something really cool, and as the photo shows, even mildly modified it makes a neat little truck.

• 2 months later...

The '90s era tooling 1/25th scale Lindbergs are all pretty nice ('53 Ford, '61 Impala, '64 Dodge, '64 Plymouth, '66 Olds Cutlass, '66 Chevelle) though the Olds has some issues w/ interior depth. The '90s era 1/25th scale snap kits (Chrysler Atlantic, Sebring convertible, Dodge Caravan, Dodge Dakota) are nice also.