Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Tognotti's King T, Vintage AMT Double Kit

jbwelda

Here is a relatively short build thread for some background:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58494

vintage AMT Double Kit with the Wilhelms Wild Dream, went together pretty well straight out of the box but i did add some "improvements" like polished aluminum steering wheel column, mirrored undercarriage, aluminum exhaust tips, maybe a couple other accessories. (Edit: and of course the hand formed brass radiator shell courtesy of "Mr Brass" Jerry Cardinal...he gave me the raw item he handformed and i finessed it a bit and polished it.) Thanks for looking and any comments encouraged!

leftsideprofile2.jpg

leftfrontnice.jpg

leftprofile.jpg

rightsideprofile.jpg

rightreart.jpg

rightreardetailnice.jpg

Edited by jbwelda

Superb. The build thread is inspirational - it gives an appreciation for the discipline you applied to getting the sequence of construction right, painting and detailing each subassembly in its own right and then completing the project with with an immaculate final assembly. The result is this fine model. It's amazing to consider that the 1:1 was constructed in 1963. It set the agenda for showrods for a generation. What creative geniuses were Tognotti and Winfield! Will you be at this year's NNL West with it?

I saw this car in person, in '63, (yes, I'm that old) it is better looking now than it was then, thanks to the work by Gene Winfield & his crew. If I remember correctly, the original color was a Studebaker color, but the best we get in scale is the GM "Evening Orchid" from Testors. You did a really great job on a technical build.

thanks for the comments folks, it turned out quite nice, even though the style doesnt really get it with me either, i much prefered the kit-mate Wilhelms Wild Dream. but this one has its charms too, despite being quite dated in design. there is still some room for improvement (he said in a characteristic understatement); in fact i never glued in the interior bucket for a couple reasons: for one those top bars prevent it from snugging down properly and for another i am thinking about taking a spare interior tub and drilling out all the buttons of the button-tufted upholstery and replacing them with something metallic. a pinhead is too large but i was thinking i might be able to come up with some pins with smaller heads or just cut the heads off altogether and let the trimmed off end be the "button". then replacing the interior here with that upgrade.

yes i will be bringing this to the NNL West to bolster my meager output this year and about the display stands, they came with the kit and it is one of the weaknesses of my build: i got in a hurry and ran the black paint in one corner and ignored dust spots in other places. ah so it goes.

thanks again and any further comments or criticisms encouraged!

thanks again, yeah i agree, i love building these old kits and seeing if i can do better than my last attempt, when i was a kid and NOTHING fit together too well! lol! i also agree, they look way better built on the shelf than they do a bunch of pieces in the box!

One of these days i will get around to one i have been meaning to build for quite a while now, the AMT XR-6 Hot Rod Magazine car. Ive collected up a complete kit plus pieces plus a couple of vintage buildups and i keep looking at them...i think this one turned out pretty well even as a kid but if i did it now i would do some detailing and nice paint. i believe this was also a car Gene Winfield had something to do with, another kool klassik kit you dont often see built:

1_3333a269c5194f08d4d44ffee006ac1e.jpg

0902cct_04_z+winfield_and_watsons_gather

"WOW" That is some really nice pictures.....Good use of the camera.....Like the angle shots....Very Nice Photos..

Oh, about the model...sorry... Hey seriously looks just Fantastic...Hope to see it at the next "City Style" Model Car Club meet...

Has always you do very nice work on your builds..

Cheers...Don aka XJ6 B)