Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Fabrux

History of AMT & MPC's Action Line Pickup Kits

Recommended Posts

On 1/25/2013 at 11:54 AM, Fabrux said:

Finally in 1982 the tooling was sold again, this time called Heavy Pedal. None of the Rolling Thunder extras made it to this release.

mpc448.png

I just picked this one up yesterday, and I'd like to add a little to your statements on it. Not only does it omit the Rolling Thunder extras, but the custom grille, stock front bumper, and deep-dish six bolt wheels clearly shown on the box are also absent. Instead you get a stock-ish grille (I say stock-ish because it has a stock-style '72 insert but it is recessed back into the grille frame), a squared-off front bumper with fog light cutouts, and narrow five-bolt wheels. Is it too late to take action against MPC for misleading advertising? 😜 The stumpy rear fenders did make a comeback, I'll probably replace them with a set from the '72 GMC stepside kit. I have a set of those sitting around somewhere and I seem to remember they looked quite a bit better than the fenders in this kit. 

And look at those stripes and side pipes! It looks like it took a few years into the '80's for "The '70's" to finally come to an end. 

Edited by Chuck Most

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

I just picked this one up yesterday, and I'd like to add a little to your statements on it. Not only does it omit the Rolling Thunder extras, but the custom grille, stock front bumper, and deep-dish six bolt wheels clearly shown on the box are also absent. Instead you get a stock-ish grille (I say stock-ish because it has a stock-style '72 insert but it is recessed back into the grille frame), a squared-off front bumper with fog light cutouts, and narrow five-bolt wheels. Is it too late to take action against MPC for misleading advertising? 😜 The stumpy rear fenders did make a comeback, I'll probably replace them with a set from the '72 GMC stepside kit. I have a set of those sitting around somewhere and I seem to remember they looked quite a bit better than the fenders in this kit. 

And look at those stripes and side pipes! It looks like it took a few years into the '80's for "The '70's" to finally come to an end. 

Chuck, could you post up a couple pics of those parts?

It would be interesting to see them, I never had that kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Chuck, could you post up a couple pics of those parts?

It would be interesting to see them, I never had that kit.

Ask and ye shall receive...

IMG_9313.thumb.JPG.b935852908dbbbe840a60f055f9133e1.JPG

Here's the grille. I wouldn't even say it's bad, it's just that the insert seems to be recessed into the frame a bit. In it's favor it has better headlight detail (albeit engraved) than the '72 Cheyenne longbed I'm sure we're all familiar with. And it's clearly not the custom horizontal tube grille shown on the box. When I saw that the insert was recessed I thought it was because there was a separate overlay for that custom insert, but that isn't the case.

IMG_9314.thumb.JPG.6f30627520d8f6ac0470f8a742a4f178.JPG

The front bumper- which is not shown or mentioned on the box.

IMG_9315.thumb.JPG.c0fde340626eded7231a5872d7c32abb.JPG

The wheels on the box are a modular alloy type, but are deep dish, showing six lugs. The actual kit wheels are narrower, five-lug units, but also of modular design. 

IMG_9316.thumb.JPG.91f48f85b53d2d43f94ac7889dc83ef9.JPG

And the oddly shaped rear fenders (below, in black) shown with the much better units from a '72 GMC (top, gray). 

 

Edited by Chuck Most

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Chuck. 

I kinda like the look of the grille. Can't say the same fro the bumper though.

And, yea, I wonder why MPC did those fenders like that.

I has assumed it was to clear the sleeper unit on the RT truck but apparently it was like that before that truck was issued , so??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Thanks Chuck. 

I kinda like the look of the grille. Can't say the same fro the bumper though.

And, yea, I wonder why MPC did those fenders like that.

I has assumed it was to clear the sleeper unit on the RT truck but apparently it was like that before that truck was issued , so??

Maybe the one with the sleeper was actually designed and planned first, but the regular kit ended up being released first. Stranger things have happened. I have no idea if I'm right or not but it sounds plausible enough to me. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...