Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge L-700 Tractor / Lindberg (IMC mold) / 1:25

So, after almost 10 years of celibacy, I have decided it was time to get back and build a few models. A first I was thinking about some 50's winged or finned cruisers, but then I came across Truck drivin' song by Weird Al and that song got inside my head so deep that I decided to build a truck instead. For some time I was thinking about AMT's Diamond Reo, but it turned out that there are no photo-etched details for this set yet, and to be honest, the factory grille in this set is really terrible. And since CMT ( http://www.liaznavzdy.cz/nedtrans/ctm.php ) confirmed plans to create and release the details in the future, I decided to wait for them and select a different truck instead. After seeing Auburn and Cord from Lindberg, I was very skeptical, but it turned out the mold was done by a different company (IMC), and it looked pretty reasonable to build. (Afterwards I also learned that the Auburn and Cord aren't Lindberg molds either, but you know, releasing THOSE kits under your name still tells something about you as well). So L-700 it was.

Gathering information about this car is a little tricky, because more than 80% of Google finds show a built model instead of the original car, and engine details are nearly impossible to find. And if you find some, they are dirty and rusty as hell, that you actually can't even tell what the original engine color was. But I want to build a truck that just came out of the factory.

I also still don't have the room to set out all the accessories (mostly pistol and compressor), so I started by cutting out the pieces, understanding where and how they fit, and some sanding. And I also glued some components together and drilled a hole into the exhaust. And got pretty upset by the fuel tanks, because they don't fit together - because the bottom part does not go straight up, it is slowly expanding to the sides. I will have to do much more sanding to get that part straight.

post-11108-0-28622700-1359143683_thumb.j

The newer release is a problem child. The biggest challenge is to get the cab to sit properly on the frame. The two mounting points have to be glued on and if they are not perfectly alligned the cab won't be either. Also there have been problems with the frame not being straight even after it is put together. Look these pieces over carefully before you begin construction in case you have to do any adjustments to the frame rails. Here is a photo of one that I build last year after extending the frame for the rescue style body.

023-3.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire

That is indeed a very nice build, but I have a bad feeling you fell for the same mistake as almost all builders - just painting the grille mesh black. But on all the actual photos I found, the mesh itself was in body color. ( for example here: http://georgedennis.blogspot.cz/2008/12/christmas-still-here-dodge-l-700-info.html ) Btw, any suggestions what material to use? I want to cut the grille out and put a custom mesh behind it, to give it a real see-through look, but there is no photo-etched set for this model, and probably won't be anytime soon.

Edited by Colonel32

That is sweet! I have one planned as a three axle tractor(single drive with a tag) like a guy in the next state used to run with a short flat hauling a single steel coil!

Saw it a lot but never got close enough to see if he was a company driver or independent hauler.

That is indeed a very nice build, but I have a bad feeling you fell for the same mistake as almost all builders - just painting the grille mesh black. But on all the actual photos I found, the mesh itself was in body color. ( for example here: http://georgedennis.blogspot.cz/2008/12/christmas-still-here-dodge-l-700-info.html ) Btw, any suggestions what material to use? I want to cut the grille out and put a custom mesh behind it, to give it a real see-through look, but there is no photo-etched set for this model, and probably won't be anytime soon.

Actually I did just that. I cut out the grill area and installed some brass photoetched mesh. I did paint it black, however. :rolleyes: