Model Cars Magazine Forum

My First Submission

Kranman

Hi, all -

This has been an on-and-off project for several years now. I'm not a dyed in the wool auto modeler but when the itch needs scratching... ...well, you gotta build one.

This is my first attempt at paint sanding and polishing so please feel free to comment. I'm my own harshest judge so nothing you can say will offend me. I probably should have chosen a slab-sided Charger, GTO or Chevelle and avoided all the curves but I'm building this for a friend and I said I'd build it for her so I started building before I realized how much finesse it could take. The color is Testors' 1110 Blue out of the square bottles, reduced with lacquer thinner, sanded and polished with the Micro Surface kit (if I recall the name correctly).

There's a bit of orange peel here and there, some areas have some dust, etc. I learned early that paint sanding is a bit of brinksmanship and it needed two repaints as I went too far. I like the kit - it went together well and without too much fanfare, so here I am.

I stripped just about all the chrome and replaced it with Alclad after addressing seams or sink marks in the plastic parts. The red windshield support is going to receive Alclad as well when I fire up the airbrush again.

So, that's it! Glad I found this site - I lurked around a bit and liked what I saw. I hope I can find enough time amid the other modeling subjects I build. I know I've got quite a few car kits so I won't be a stranger.

Frank

post-11292-0-68178300-1359219575_thumb.j

post-11292-0-24032200-1359219596_thumb.j

post-11292-0-78493500-1359219615_thumb.j

post-11292-0-66604700-1359219657_thumb.j

Edited by Kranman

I take it this is the Revell '67 Corvette kit? If so, it's a great kit, but it has a few bad flaws that you should be able to fix easily. One is the rocker panels, there's a big gap between the rocker trim and the side pipes, removing a bit of the extra plastic from the bottom of the rocker should fix it. The vent windows need a small shim added to the bottom edge to get it to meet the top of the doors, otherwise they're "floaters" when aligned with the top of the windshield. The other problem is the windshield wipers themselves...you're on your own there, I just left 'em off without figuring out how to make 'em fit!

1967Corvettea0071-vi.jpg

1967%20corvette%20427%20101.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Yessir, it's the Monogram kit. Thanks for the heads-up on the vents and wipers - I'll keep my eyes open for issues. I started researching well after I started building - spark plug wires would have been and easy add. Next time, things could be very different. :-)

Frank

Frank, if you ever want to go hog wild on one of these kits, I've got a link to the real one pictured that has all the detail photos you could ever want, the car was up for sale and they took hundreds of pictures. Just let me know and I'll post the link!