Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rustoleum

Rustoleum makes paints that they call enamel, acrylic, and lacquer. Usually the can says right on it what kind of paint it is. The lacquers go on beautifully and are very, very forgiving. Their lacquer clear is absolutely beautiful. This is what it looks like: DSCN1807.jpg

I've had great luck with the lacquers; however, the other kinds of Rustoleum have produced less-than-satisfactory results.

I use their White Acrylic Lacquer a great deal. Some of thier primers go on real heavy and take forever to dry.

I had some Rustoleum primer that wasnt fully dried after 4 weeks. Never will use that stuff again. The lacquers, however, intrigue me.

Hey, thanks to everybody for the assistance! What I used was the "Painter's Touch" line of Rustoleum, and I cannot find any mention on the can of whether it's enamel or lacquer. Based on the fact that the painted model (Revell '57 Ford) is still somewhat tacky, I'm guessing enamel. My concern in this is that I'll probably want to touch it up with clear, and which to use. The specific paint was "gloss warm yellow", and to me it's a really great color, filling a gap between Testors bug yellow and the Phoenician yellow lacquer. And as you've probably figured by now, I don't have an airbrush, and it's spray cans for me for everything. And, since I usually use enamels, I don't mind waiting for a job to dry thoroughly--I've waited a year before in order to do a two-tone '57 Chevy (well, I mighta gotten sidetracked a little). Anyway, thanks again for the ideas!

An easy way to tell if it is laquer or enamel is to read the instructions where it talks about recoat times. If it says recoat anytime it's laquer, if it says recoat within an hour or wait X amount of time it's enamel. That's how I knew Krylon changed from a good Acrylic laquer to the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH enamel it is now.