Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Hudson Terraplane Pickup: Is it possible?

I don't expect that there has ever been a model kit of the 1937 Hudson Terraplane pickup - a fairly rare bird - but is there any other truck (or car) kit that can be used to get close to the Terraplane shape? I know that one company produces an HO scale of the vehicle but I want something larger (e.g., 1/24).

A secondary question would then be: Is the creation of a scratchbuilt, fairly elaborate, grill very difficult to accomplish? The Terraplane's grill is its most important feature. post-10386-0-94545100-1359302512_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

I would like to get one of these Grilles myself. I did some research & Big Jim made these & I noticed he has not been on the boards for a few years. Does anyone else currently make these or would anyone like to part with one they may have. Let me know.

Also one of those 37 Hudsons would be great.

maybe a Willys pickup cab and 40 ford fenders?

I honestly think if you got the grille, headlights, & hood close, no one would bust your chops about the rest of the body.

well .... except here.

but that's only because you asked.

if you had just cobbled something together with the disclaimer "here's my interpretation of.." there would have been plenty of Ooohs & Aaahs even if it was full of sink marks, mold lines, and cat fur in the paint.

I wonder what truck kit a person could start with to replicate one. If you got your hands on a resin grille of course

There really is no pickup kit out there that will give you much that's usable for the late 30's Hudson pickups, as those were passenger car based (4dr sedean body, cut off at the B-posts, with a rear cab panel stamped to fit. The pickup box is considerably wider than any stepside pickup of the era (or even later for that matter--the floor between the wheel wells is at least 4' wide on the real thing.

Art

I believe our friends down under call it a UTE. Basically any unified car with a pickup bed/box on it.

No, Hudson's pickup was not like a Ute at all. The pickup box is completely separate from the cab (even though the cab was derived from their 4dr sedan, it has it's own back panel, just like any other pickup truck cab.

What may confuse some is that Hudson used passenger car rear fenders on those, along with passenger car running boards and splash aprons. Ute's pretty much had truck boxes that were integral with the cab, much in the same manner as Ford Ranchero's and Chevrolet El Camino's.

Art

• 1 month later...

Could probably use one of these to build the Terraplane...a little top chopping, front end mods, along with the resin Hudson grille.

The Danbury Mint 1/24 1937 Studebaker pickup.

danbury1.jpg

Plus enlarge it all over by a good 20%! The Hudson was a good bit bigger car all around than Studebaker's Dictator.

Art

Plus enlarge it all over by a good 20%! The Hudson was a good bit bigger car all around than Studebaker's Dictator.

Art

But the Danbury being 1/24th, the Hudson replica in 1/25th would be close enough if no one measured :lol:

Unique Replicas also made the '37 Studebaker Pick Up. Way cheaper than the Danbury and not too bad a quality at all.

I'm sure y'all were just waiting for this meaningful and important bit of trivia.

Agreed Christian. I should have said a beat-up/damaged/broken Danbury Stude can be had pretty cheap from the bay... B)