Model Cars Magazine Forum

Classic Chevy caprice

Just curious, I have two of the classic caprices with trailer. They are listed on eBay and no I'm not trying to sell here. When I had a buy it now for $15.99 I had a few watchers. Now that its at $14.99 bid I have little to no views. Is it that far down the drain?

That's what figured, I guess no chance of getting rid of them unless I dro my price way down. Shipping is killing me, because the postal service went way up. I just shipped an air brush that weighed less than a kit, it cost me three dollars more than usual. And believe me I tried different avenues.

This is typical of some kits- they are selling for less now than when they hit the store shelves a year ago. Round2 was even selling some Zingers! and the Royal Rail for $3.00 and $5.00 respectively, so you know those aren't moving. :huh:

Two things to consider....

First - It's a commonly available kit. The S&H deal is going to kill you until you find a buyer with no local outlet to purchase kits.

Second - While yours is the cheapest one up there currently, there are 20 other of the same kits available right now as well. Doesn't seem like this is selling for anyone right now.

Well I'm done with selling on ebay. Nearly ten bucks to ship two pounds and no more parcel post. I will trade kits, just because I know I'm getting something in return. Other than that no more usps for me. I lost over 7 bucks because of shipping. It cost me more to ship than I sold the items for. Unaware that it was this bad. Ok I am done with my rant, there will be two cars coming to the trade section lol.

I've been recently selling on eBay, and I find I have a lot more foreign buyers of late than American ones. Our dollar is so weak compared to the other countries, that I guess our prices are real bargains for European/Asian bidders.

For example, I recently sold on eBay the Revell '70's Custom Van. I had a buyer from Japan get this from me for $13.50. However to ship it to Japan, it cost something like $21.00! :wacko: So yeah, the shipping costs can be a real bummer, but guys from other countries are buying from me left and right.

And yes, like someone else mentioned-------you hang on to it long enough and it doesn't get reissued a million times, it'll be worth a bit more down the road. Otherwise, expect to take a hit for the time being----------if it sells at all.

Good point Bill. So many people are limiting themselves when they only sell to the US market. It's more work, but more opportunity. I haven't shipped in a year, but first class international was cheaper (to some countries) than priority domestic!

Take a look at the price of US market kits on the Japanese model sites - yowzers! Around $37 for a new Revell release.

I have learned to ALWAYS look at the shipping costs and to try to find sellers who have several items that interest me at bargain prices. I always email the seller and ask if he combines shipping and how does he calculate the extra charges. Some sellers will really give you a break on shipping if you ask and if you buy several or more items from them. I recently was looking at a parts kit of the Roth Revell '56 Ford pickup and the guy wanted $13,00 shipping for a partial kit. It was incomplete but it had the hood that I needed and the frame but even at the $3.00 starting price, when you add the $13.00+ shipping, it's just too expensive for me considering what I need. I email;ed him but he claimed that that was what it would cost to ship the kit. So, I passed.

The post office is really screwing things up as far as buying on line goes and as a result, people place higher starting prices on their kits. It's at the point where even a bargain kit isn't such a bargain when you add the shipping on and many sellers are still gouging. They start a lit at a low price and then jack the shipping costs up to make up for the difference. I avoid those people like the plague. We quit selling on Ebay a few years ago because of ever increasing charges and I have no intention of ever selling on that site again. Their goofy rules and the control; added to their high costs of brokering a business transaction is too much for me.