Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of MPC's Dodge D/W Series Trucks

Fabrux

I'd say you nailed it, Casey. My guess would be to fill in the gap either underneath the cap or behind it.

An inner tailgate of sorts. Makes sense. The DPMCC instruction sheet site doesn't have this one listed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the Pumping Iron kit from the big auction site. Matches my recollection of the two I've owned in that only the '79 hood and grill were supplied, contrary to the box art. Tires supplied were the old MPC blue streak stock car items. It's basically a '79 LRE in everything but name. Wonder if perhaps not having a licence for another LRE led them to disguise it using the ugly '77/'78 grill...

79dgpia zpsc20986f2

mike

Edited by mk11

Here's a pic of the Pumping Iron kit from the big auction site. Matches my recollection of the two I've owned in that only the '79 hood and grill were supplied, contrary to the box art. Tires supplied were the old MPC blue streak stock car items. It's basically a '79 LRE in everything but name. Wonder if perhaps not having a licence for another LRE led them to disguise it using the ugly '77/'78 grill...

79dgpia_zpsc20986f2.jpg

mike

That kit is still on my shopping list, it will complete my collection of mpc Dodge trucks, someday I will get one for the right price I'm sure...

They are scarce and expensive but deals happen once in a while... Through serendipitous circumstance I hit the big auction site the other day in time to nail a sealed example for only half a c-note B) Had a 1:1 a few years ago and am wondering why mpc never tooled an accurate dual snorkel air cleaner for these.

It's not gonna stay sealed for long... ^_^

mike

[ I ] Had a 1:1 a few years ago and am wondering why mpc never tooled an accurate dual snorkel air cleaner for these.

Not only the air cleaner , but also the entire power train and drive train ! The Little Red Express kit has MPC's generic Chrysler big block which is mated to an equally generic 4 speed transmission (some of the car annuals had a TorqueFlite behind the "383-400-440" .

I think that there's enough demand for a new-tool of the 1978 LRE ... complete with the 'E58' 360 / A-727-A LoadFlite / 9.25" differential .

Here's a better look at the most important parts of this kit...

P7303895

Taking great pleasure in exploding another old wives tale, I'll say that with all the parts inherited from the previous LRE shortbox kit like the incorrect mirrors, taillights, engine and air cleaner, there is definitely no '78 grill or hood included in these P/I kits. Be interesting to hear the back story on this one...

mike

Edited by mk11

Interesting..I have the Pumpin Iron kit in my stash, can't recall if I noticed the difference between the box art and what's inside. One I did notice is the Thunderstruck 4x4 puller truck kit I have has the '79/80 style grille on the box but the '77-78 grille inside.

• 5 months later...

Last month I managed to snag built up versions of the 1975 issue and the Off-Road Camper issue, and noticed that there are actually three different trims represented in these kits and two different tail gates. I have edited the original posts to reflect this.

Also, can anyone with a Warlock confirm/deny any side trim?

Last month I managed to snag built up versions of the 1975 issue and the Off-Road Camper issue, and noticed that there are actually three different trims represented in these kits and two different tail gates. I have edited the original posts to reflect this.

Also, can anyone with a Warlock confirm/deny any side trim?

The Warlock doesn't have side trim.

• 4 years later...

It is about time for Round2 to bring back these kits.  I need one of the '73-74 kits to re-create my Grandfathers 1973 3/4 ton Camper Special.

I remember him talking later about the truck, after he gave it to me in 1990. It was a special order. He had wanted to get it without a heater or power steering, as he felt those were just an attempt by the dealer to cheat him. The whole deal almost fell through when he found that he could not "Opt Out" of those items. Only after much explaining by the salesman that those items were included in the cost of the Base Truck, and even if they could be delete  it would not lower the price, did the deal go forward. Despite his grumbling, my Grandpa must have done something right, as the dealer threw in a free A/C. That same salesman sold my uncle, a similar Camper Special about 2 months later. The truck spent it's entire life in Los Angeles, and never once did Grandpa use the heater. When he gave it to me the controls were frozen, and the vent hoses under the dash were in ratting shreds. It had a 400 Big Block and the two barrel carb would stall on hard right turns. Never could get it to run right. Wish I still had the truck.

6 minutes ago, alexis said:

It is about time for Round2 to bring back these kits.  I need one of the '73-74 kits to re-create my Grandfathers 1973 3/4 ton Camper Special.

Would you want them to do just that if the "Ram Tuff" monster truck was the only version they could reissue? The LRE pickup should be no problem, but the longbed is likely not going to be backdated without major time and effort invested, and frankly, I don't think Round2 should devote either to that particular mold.

The Camper Special I owned had no trim on the cab and bed, so the bare cab & bed would not bother me. As long as I could get the correct grille and a flat hood, 8 lug wheels, and street tires, I'll live with the rest. I'd rather have it with some faults, than not have it at all.

On 1/29/2013 at 11:31 AM, kataranga said:

The biggest re-tooling for this kit occurred at this time to update it to the 1979 body style which included modifying the cowl, a new hood, and a new grille. 

I wonder if the insert(?) for the '72-'78 style 'birdbath' hood was lost at some point? The 'Ram Tuff' monster truck included a modified Baja hood, but both the stock and custom hoods seem to have been included with all or most of the '72-78 issues.

The 'Ram Tuff' kit still includes the pre-'79 style cab, correct?

In one of the threads here it is mentioned that the turn signal valance is still in the kit from 78 on, I had a full size 76 Ramcharger that I had an accident and replaced the grille with a 78 grille since I liked the look of it, In real life you could keep both set of turn signals, I also added the 'power wagon' in the birdbath hood which should have been in the kits that were 4wd. Great kits, base kit for a squad 51 truck, made a nice mini pumper, looks good with the Open Road camper.

greg