Ford 292 V8

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows of, or has seen any resin kits of the Ford 292 V8?

As a kid, I had a '59 F-100 that had this engine in it and was thinking about a project to replicate it. I believe this engine was offered in some of the early T Birds.... I may be mistaken here. I seem to remember running across an intake (3x 2bbl) at a car swap meet around the same time (way back when..) and was told it was from a 292 powered T Bird. My other issue here would be sourcing the "Fleetside" bed. I have seen one kit for the 60-62 fleetside - Any idea if this would be my only option?

I would sure welcome any comments here!

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

The new Revell '57 Ford has a 312 Y Block V8, externally the same as a 292. Y Blocks can also be found in the AMT '57 Ford, '56 Ford, '57 T Bird and '56 T Bird as well as the Revell '56 Ford pickup. These kits have a variety of intakes for this engine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The '59 Ford Grille has been offered once by F&F decades ago before his passing . The '57 -'60 Ford Pickups are identified by the specific grilles . The '57 had the last year of dual headlights . The '58-'60's have quads . Minor shuffling of Power Train options set these years apart too . I believe Modelhaus offers a Resin '60 , Long Bed ('8 ft.) "commercial side" . For a Stepside , use the bed from a '56 Ford Revelle kit . You get the "Y" Block V/8 too . I just had to add this detail here . Lindbergh '53 Ford is a "Y" Block . Maybe , just maybe Ed Fluck Jr. , might have the '59 Grilles available . Contact him direct . He may say no . He is a great caster and he will answer you . It doesn't hurt . Ed can either say yes or no . You already have a no . Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

Posted · Report post

The Lindberg '53 Ford has a flathead, '54 was the first year for the Y Block.

Posted · Report post

I would like to thank you guys for the help and direction!!

I'll see what kind of progress I can make.

I really appreciate it!

Posted · Report post

Externally, the 239, 292, and 312 Ford blocks are pretty much the same . As for the physical differences in a plastic model kit , virtually nothing. The differences in internals is however way different . On just the 239, ( offered on cars 1954, 55 ) , there is NOTHING that will interchange with either the 292 0r the 312 . O K , I'll concede the tune up parts , but that's about it . For what it's worth, "Most " Thunderbird cars by 1956 were built with 312's . Yes, 292's were built, used to work on one for a customer . His was a 1956 .

Posted · Report post

Good deal, Ed!

I can see a few options opening up.

Thanks again to all who have replied!