Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auslowe drop deck 48 foot trailer

This is my latest project, I started it during the holidays and ongoing. It's a trailer that Auslowe builds and sells. What's neat about this kit is that you have all kinds of options such as trailer length, 40-42-45or 48 foot, number of axles tandem or tridem, type of wheel, aluminum disc or 5 spoke, type of brakes, disc or drums, suspension, leaf or airbag and the option of a ramp for hauling vehicles.

So after seeing all those options and knowing they are almost the only source for a kit like this, I jumped on the opportunity. It is expensive at 140.00 Aud, but wanted to try it out. So I ordered this in september and got it in november.

This kit has cut to size styrene flat parts for the floor, the cross members and frame molded resin parts for the suspension components, brakes and wheels and parking feet crank gearbox, wire for the retaining gards, metal axles, black rubber like lo-pro tires and clear red and amber lens for the rear lights.

Alright, so building the thing is fairly straightforward, but I don't recommend it for people starting out building plastic models as this is mostly a hand cut parts kit with very few locating features. The upper and lower floors are scored at the bottom to position the frame rails and the crossmembers, but you have to take measurements to make sure your frame is straight. There are instructions included but some items have to be interpreted because of the lack of some info and the pictures are mostly hand drawn. Don't get me wrong, this builds up as a nice trailer model, but you need some experience to do it.

So anyway, I am almost ready to paint and these are the pictures I've taken.

stepdeckfront2small.jpg

stepdeckfrontsmall.jpg

stepdecksidesmall.jpg

stepdeckback1small.jpg

stepdeckbottom1small.jpg

stepdeckbottom2small.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I added some plumbing to the underside for the brakes, the wheels and the brake cylinders are not fixed yet. More to come...

Edited by BigBad

Go for it Ben! These kits have small issues and they need some mods to Americanize them but, I think they are nice, they build up nicely but they need a little more attention than a regular kit. The molded resin parts need to be cleaned up and the tires have a lot of flash but once built up and cleaned up, I think it's going to give pretty nice results.

By the way, don't mind the trailer's rake, the truck in front has been lowered quite a bit and was used for mock up purpose only. it's going to sit level with the appropriate truck in front.

Edited by BigBad

More details...

I added this diamond plate (beige panel) for a late model look I will add round stop lamps from KFS as the included parts are European/Australian issue square red and amber lights. Sorry for the lack of clarity...

stepdeckbackdiamondplat.jpg

I added these braces as there weren't any in the kit, I think it looks better this way, I might add toolboxes from AITM toward the front.

stepdeckbracedetailsmal.jpg

Picture showing connector plate

stepdeckconnectormodule.jpg

This is how the trailer is supposed to sit.

stepdecklevelsmall.jpg

Close up of the kit wheels, without hubs they will be painted flat Alclad white aluminum with the hub trailer body color.

Any wheel kit with an AMT type metal axle will fit here. i could have ordered the spoke wheels but I wanted a late model look.

stepdeckwheeldetailsmal.jpg

This trailer is meant to be pulled by my Laidlaw 379. I was thinking of painting the deck silver and the underside red. But then again i might make it generic, either all silver or all black with 3 strips of wood or wood like detail. It will have the red and white safety reflector side decals too. Give me your thoughts...

Thanks for looking!

Edited by BigBad

hi Robert

nice job

I made my own dropdeck trailer

here:http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69972

yours is very very better than mine!!!

you can see more pics on my blog! sorry its all in french!

Thanks Thierri! The link is for your Western Star truck, can you post the one for your trailer?

Don't worry about french for me... On est petits cousins!

Edited by BigBad

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments. I haven't worked on it for a while. I was trying to figure out how to make strap winders for this thing. I have two tool boxes from AITM I want to install on this as well. I also have round tail lights from KFS that will replace the square Australian issue units. I'll post as soon as I find what I'm going to do with the winders and straps. Still out for the color, but it might end up having an aluminum silver platform with a red underside. Thanks for the "yellow and well worn" Daniel, it would be kinda cool too. Finally, I have ordered some "wooden surface" decals designed for the AMT 40' Fruehauf van from Modeltruckin' for some of the top surface. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by BigBad

Hey Robert, not sure if they still sell them but KFS has a winch strap kit for flatbeds. It has photo etch pieces that assemble into the winches and it includes some strap material. A friend of mine cast some little resin winches a while back. I can see if he still has some.

This is a really nice kit but needs the woods planks to look finished.Here is the one I did.I also added the supports for the deck like you did. Looks good so far.

mts9z4.jpgy2nm8.jpg

MAN! That is what I want! It looks great, love the woodwork! That is the exact same kit I have, thanks for posting the pictures Ray, it's really encouraging top see the result!

Hey Robert, not sure if they still sell them but KFS has a winch strap kit for flatbeds. It has photo etch pieces that assemble into the winches and it includes some strap material. A friend of mine cast some little resin winches a while back. I can see if he still has some.

Thanks Ben! I'll have to look up KFS, I'm pretty sure I'll have to order other stuff from them at the same time...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job so far on the trailer,

The boards do look great on these trailers, but if you are ordering from KFS, grab some check plate, the decks also look good with check plate

Thanks for the tip Tony. Actually, what I'm going to do is use the "wood" trailer decals from Mobeltruckin for parts of the floor and probably some diamond plate right over the wheel sections. Not quite decided on that yet. But I found out how to make the laod starp winches though! i'm pretty happy about that. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Now I have to install hooks on the opposite side of the trailer. I'll keep you posted. Once I'm done with those, It'll be ready for paint. Stay tuned.

I'm back with an update and pics. I've added some side rails to the trailer as there weren't any in the kit. It's an Australian spec trailer so they hook their loads differently over there. I used some Plastruct and Evergreen parts to work rails and supports out.

I fnally figured out how to make my load strap winches... I used aluminum 8mm "U" shaped extrusion (from the hardware store) for the frame, aluminum tubing for the shaft, then my girlfriend gave me some flower shaped 5mm dia jewels that I ground flat (on one side) to get the ratchet gears. I know, the assemblies are slightly out of proportion but they're not overly so. They still look pretty good. I also found the perfect sized straps (3mm wide) to make the tie-downs. I got that in red, yellow and orange from WalMart's hobby dept to see which one will fit best with the trailer colors. I installed wire hooks on the right side. I'm also adding 2 AITM 48 inch toolboxes which will be covered in Bare Metal foil.

On with the pictures for explaination:

Picture of wire hook

hooksmall1.jpg

other view of hooks

hooksmall2.jpg

The siderails

siderails1small.jpg

The load strap winches

winch1small.jpg

other view of winches

winch2small.jpg

Yellow strap material

yellowstrapsmall.jpg

My choice of strap colors

strapcolorssmall.jpg

AITM 48 inch toolbox

toolboxsmall.jpg

Thanks for lookin'!

Edited by BigBad

Thanks guys, I gave it its first coat of primer last night. It's going to need some sanding, then more primer, then the paint. That should happen next week-end. I'll keep you posted. In fact, I'm getting excited about this myself! I'm pretty sure this is going to look good, I know it sounds trivial, but i'm really looking forward to installing the load straps on there! So I'm decided on the trailer colors, the platform upper surfaces will be aluminum silver and the underside red. Straps will likely be yellow, mud flaps white, tool boxes bare metal foiled. The wheels will be shot with Alcald white aluminum (low sheen). Stay tuned!

Edited by BigBad