Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auslowe drop deck 48 foot trailer

Hi again, another update. The trailer's painted, silver decks and metallic red underside and suspension. It'll match my Laidlaw Peterbilt. The wheels are painted Alclad white aluminum with the hubs painted to match the frame, I don't like them much as the castings are so-so, might change them for KFS units (2 holes??) I'll keep these for now. I added dock bumpers, tail lights and the rear clearance lights. I applied bare metal foil to the tool boxes, and sanded the molded-on locks to make place for photo etch units from KFS. I added a photo etch license plate holder and some eagle emblems on the flap supports. I applied bare metal foil to the rear "bumper" panel. I still have to finish the deck with some "wood" panel decals, print some conspicuity decals and finish the load straps. Next step, choose a load.then add a headache rack on the Peterbilt and show the whole thing in "under glass".

redandsilverback.jpg

redandsilverbackbumpers.jpg

redandsilverfrontleft.jpg

redandsilvertoolboxleft.jpg

redandsilvertoolboxrigh.jpg

redandsilverundersidere.jpg

redandsilverunderside.jpg

redandsilverwheels.jpg

redandsilverwheels2.jpg

Thanks Ben! After the pictures I applied the wood paneling decals, and started rolling up the straps. It's looking rather nice. Tomorrow, I'll buy some scale chain and hooks to finish . Red and white stripes next... Another update soon.

Some more pictures hooked up to the truck:

Sorry for the picture quality, if the interest is there I'll take better ones. I still have to add some of the red & white refelctor tape on, there are some touch ups to do.

I have to put some aerials on the truck plus the headache rack and the connections for the trailer.

cimg0492kp.jpg

cimg0491n.jpg

cimg0489t.jpg

cimg0497l.jpg

cimg0498d.jpg

peterbiltfullleftside.jpg

cimg0502v.jpg

Robert,

The trailer turned out prety well, well done my friend!!!

I would like to see more pics off the Peterbilt as a unit and of course I can't wait to see this large car completed under the sun light.

Kostas.

Here you go Kostas, this is the link when I first built my Italeri Pete:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61382&hl=%2Bgrey+%2Bpeterbilt

As for the Kenworth W900 sitting on the trailer, I ran out of steam early on. I'll finish it but I have to look around for some ideas first. I'll keep you posted!

Edited by BigBad

Thanks for the comments guys. This was an experiment in small scale business multi-media kits. While I think that this type of kit is not for the inexperienced and is fairly expensive, it's worth it as there are no other sources for a step deck trailer at this scale. It was a small chjallenge for me, but it was enjoyable, it give good results once built and looks good behing an Italeri tractor. I still wish Italeri or Moebius would produce something similar that anyone could buy and build easily. I still have to finish my Peterbilt with an AITM headache rack and connectors. That is the next step.

Here you go Kostas, this is the link when I first built my Italeri Pete:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61382&hl=%2Bgrey+%2Bpeterbilt

As for the Kenworth W900 sitting on the trailer, I ran out of steam early on. I'll finish it but I have to look around for some ideas first. I'll keep you posted!

Don't worry about that KW. Just take off the rear feeders, put some chains to secure it on the drop deck and there you are, on its way from the body shop to the chrome shop. It would be real cool just after the paintbooth before chorme bits instaled.

Kostas.