Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red Metal Flake 56 Nomad Revell

Model Car Kustoms

Hello All!

Im Starting a new build (only my 5th ever)

I just painted the color coat today!!!

This will be a 56 nomad with red metal flake, hear are some vids of the my progress and there will be more updates to come!

(im pretty new to models just started a month ago)

(Im also new to youtube and videos in general as this will be mostly a video log of the progress on the model)

Let me know what you think!

http://youtu.be/zKTGB3b7Bcc

http://youtu.be/Vl4o8nrtrAM

you can get the folkart paint at Michaels, Walmart, and other various other craft stores.

what I would like to know is what airbrush he is using and how he thinned the paint down.. the fine details hehe

Derick, thanks. I picked some at my local Michaels this morning. If you watch the one video, Jason thins it with window cleaner. The clear he uses is Rust-o-leum clear from Lowes or Home Depot.

Its Good to see that there's a lot of interest out there for Large metal flake paint (on models).

Ever since I began building models (a little over a month ago, lol) (go to this thread for a little background info about myself http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70258 )

I have been looking for an awesome Metal (large) Flake paint to slap on one of them.

Trying to find more info, i headed to the internet, but articles on the subject are few and far between.

If I did manage to find something about metal flake it was always too small (the flake)

If I did find a model car with large flake on it, it would only have pictures and not much info on how to do it yourself.

Which leads to my videos,

I had too hard of a time finding info about the subject, and nearly zero tech/ how to's about it,

I'm making these videos so others can go straight to the FUN of building models.

Thanks to those who commented (on this site and youtube), subbed me, and watched some of my other videos, (hey this paint is not for everyone, but it is candy for the eyes)

here's a little update of the Red Metal Flake 56 Nomad

http://youtu.be/Pp34RmWSsAI

Edited by Model Car Kustoms

I'm enjoying your videos. The flake is looking good to me, almost like some of the nail polish jobs I have seen on here. I've never tried metal flake myself but, really remember this stuff looking like candy on cars back in the late '60s. I love what you are doing. Do you have experience in any other form of art? You seem like a pro with the models already.

Do you have experience in any other form of art? You seem like a pro with the models already.

I still have a lot to learn about models, (but i think I'm off to a good start, lol),

as far as "other forms of art" My day job is restoring classic cars, (some would say that is an art, lol)

Thanks for the kind words everyone

I'll be posting some new videos later in the week

The only thing I can say to get flake like this is to use HOK metaljuls. I think this might be a better route though money wise and color variety. They also make a Metalume by HOK but I have yet to see anything sprayed with it.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/01s10/Model%20Cars/D5687171-C9B3-45FC-AE4C-BA7DE76DC981-1243-000000C66EB97B12.mp4

This was using the HOK metaljuls with candy over it. I think your way would be so much easier and way more cheaper

I looked into some house of colors paints, but the cons out weighed the pro's

The folk art metal flake has almost everything I was looking for, relatively cheap, readily available, 20+ colors to choose from, and easy to clean.

then it gives you an awesome finish to top it off. what more could you want lol

I looked into some house of colors paints, but the cons out weighed the pro's

The folk art metal flake has almost everything I was looking for, relatively cheap, readily available, 20+ colors to choose from, and easy to clean.

then it gives you an awesome finish to top it off. what more could you want lol

Exactly after seeing what you did I will be trying this out instead of the HOK. Plus I bet I could buy about 15 colors for price of one HOK haha thanks again for showing this to everyone