Model Cars Magazine Forum

I feel completely, hopelessley inadequate now.

This gentleman has develped his hobby into an ARTform, not just a hobby anymore. If YOU spent as much time as he has you MAY be as good,given how deep the desire to excel can be. I do admire his work, but to put MY hobby away just caz someone is better than me is a silly thing for me to hear. ALOTTA the guys here are MUCH better than me, even with 50 years of bulding under my belt, but I can still appericiate a masters work, which THIS getleman IS. He is an ARTISTE not just a modeler!

I wonder where he gets such incredibly detailed plans from?

Just FYI, warbirds have been being restored and raced since the end of WW2, and all the technical information (blueprints for every part, etc.), has been readily available for many many years, from many sources. And P-51s, as well as many other types, were sold to other countries for 'military' use after being obsoleted out of service in the US. Every bit of tech data went with them, and a lot has been on the open market for decades. There's tons of information available on '51s. Even Japanese Zero blueprints are available, as well as captured blueprints for German fighters...even the jets. B)

Scratchbuilt, yes... but he's not making that internal stuff up out of thin air. He must have an incredibly detailed set of plans from somewhere that he's working from.

Harry, virtually all American aircraft manufacturer's engineering drawings since the very early 1930's exist someplace. For example,Boeing Aerospace (who also bought out North American [builder of the P-51 Mustang] and Vought-Sikorsky [Vought produced the F4U Corsair series]) maintains a very complete historical archive of their aircraft drawings, as well as drawings from the companies they absorbed, and they are available for a price. The same is true of Lockheed and Northrop-Grumman. Many of these drawings have been published in aircraft enthusiast magazines over the years as well.

Art