1/25 AMT '56 Ford Victoria

52 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Not sure why they left the "Crown" out of the name which was present in previous reissues, but it's back (or will be in March 2013) with original box art like so:

amt807.jpg

I'm sure more than one person will kitbash this '56 Vic with Revell's new '57 Ford, and why not. It'll also be interesting to see which "Pre-lettered drag tires" Round2 includes with this kit. You can already view the instruction sheet here: http://www.round2models.com/files/instructions/amt807.pdf

Posted · Report post

That's kind of curious.

The Victoria and Crown Victoria were separate models. Both had the chrome B Pillars and chrome "basket handle" band across the roof joining the B Pillars. But only the Crown Victoria had the acrylic glass front roof panel (called the "Skyliner" roof).

The illustration on the box art is a Fairlane Hardtop. The illustration at the top of the instruction sheet is labeled a Victoria, but has the Crown Victoria Skyliner roof.

The kit includes the chrome B pillars and "basket handle" band or "hoop" to make a Victoria.

The instructions refer to the optional glass roof which, if installed, would make a Crown Victoria Skyliner.

So, apparently, any one of the three 1956 Ford models can be built: Fairlane Hardtop, Victoria Hardtop, or Crown Victoria Skyliner.

Interesting that they have the nomenclature kind of mixed up.

B)

Posted · Report post

Danno,

A Victoria was a 2dr Hardtop

Crown Victoria had the "basket handle"

The Crown with the glass roof is a Skyliner (There were only something like 609 of those produced in '56)

They were all under the "Fairlane" line

Glad to see this kit out again with that cool box art. It's my favorite kit.

Posted · Report post

Luke,

I rechecked my resources and I see what you're saying. There were three different models of Ford hardtop in '56, all referred to as "Fairlane Victorias."

The base hardtop was a Fairlane Victoria.

The Fairlane Crown Victoria had the "basket handle" roof trim.

The Fairlane Crown Victoria Skyliner had the "basket handle" roof trim and acrylic glass roof panel.

{I had thought the base model was called "Fairlane" only ... but you're right, it was "Fairlane Victoria." Thanks for pointing that out.}

It also explains the new reissue dropping the "Crown" on the box ... it would limit it to only one of the three versions.

The important thing is ... the kit has the parts to build any of the three versions.

Posted · Report post

They also made a Customline Victoria! (It did not have the Fairlane trim).

Kind of a rare one! Yes, glad this kit still has most of the original parts.

Posted · Report post

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to see this one come back!!!

Posted · Report post

I wonder how this release differs from the most recent one (the Model King issue from about 5 years ago).

Posted · Report post

I built mine from a Replica by AMT came in a white box with black lettering.

100_1136-vi.jpg

DSCN1699-vi.jpg

100_1144-vi.jpg

DSCN1694-vi.jpg

DSCN1705-vi.jpg

Joker

Posted · Report post

James, I love your version! Looks great!

Posted · Report post

great lookin' 56

Posted · Report post

James, I love your version! Looks great!

Thanks..I'm following yours over on TRaK.

Posted · Report post

I'd like to know where Joker got the Merc taillights from.

Posted · Report post

I love yours Joker, :wub: that's a kool custom.

Posted · Report post

I believe those Merc taillights come in the kit.... At least they do in the old kit that's in my stash.

Posted · Report post

I believe those Merc taillights come in the kit.... At least they do in the old kit that's in my stash.

True statement..I just molded them to the body and added liquid mask to protect the chrome from primer and paint.

I believe they were used on Merc Wagons.

DSCN1529-vi.jpg

DSCN1492-vi.jpg

paint detailed..

DSCN1565-vi.jpg

hope this helps..

Joker

Posted · Report post

That's a super-snazzy ride. I love it! What a great build...

Posted · Report post

Not sure why they left the "Crown" out of the name which was present in previous reissues, but it's back (or will be in March 2013) with original box art like so:

Hmm except for one "blank" box version from the ill-fated Ertl/Racing Champions "The Replica" magazine issue, I don't think there was a retail box that said "Crown Victoria" on it.

56_Fairlane_CrownVictoria_AMT_000.jpg

6547-56fordvictoria-mfs.JPG

amt-for-56victoria.jpg

$(KGrHqNHJFIFEFjY(J(2BREc)Tm4SQ~~60_58.J

Posted · Report post

This kit is one of the rare ones that never lost any of its extra parts, every issue that I'm aware of had everything. So I'm guessing the new issue will have a cool retro decal sheet and probably have some of the Round 2 newly-tooled pad printed tires. My boxing has Goodyear solid slicks, so I'm wondering what this one will get, the pie-crust M&H's or the new hollow Goodyears?

And the "Crown" is the optional basket-handle molding that goes across the top (and on the 1:1 there's also some extra trim that runs back along the tip of the fin that the kit has always lacked). Like others have said, the only version I can think of that was ever labeled as a "Crown Victoria" was the plain white box "Replica" version.

Posted · Report post

Here's some more box art. Does anyone have a larger scan of the cartoon style box art? This one seems to be the most rare.

12988811054-vi.jpg.

gasser56-vi.jpg.

replica-vi.jpg.

Posted · Report post

A few more.......

Plus there was a Pro Shop release a few years ago with the car in red and black.

amt235656fordvicky1-vi.jpg.

stripfowl-vi.jpg.

Posted · Report post

Hmm except for one "blank" box version from the ill-fated Ertl/Racing Champions "The Replica" magazine issue, I don't think there was a retail box that said "Crown Victoria" on it.

Yeah, yeah, I get your point. Were the facts and actual box tops for proof really necessary!??! :lol::lol::lol:

I swear I did Google for box top images before I posted that, but yeah, egg, meet face. :unsure:

Does anyone have a larger scan of the cartoon style box art? This one seems to be the most rare.

3-vi.jpg

photofile-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the pixs Luke.

I won the kit as a door prize at last years NNL East held by the M.A.M.A. model club.

Even got 'ol Lyle to sign the boxtop..hahaha

replica-vi.jpg

pix credit ..Luke aka kustoms Illustrated

Posted · Report post

Yeah, yeah, I get your point. Were the facts and actual box tops for proof really necessary!??! :lol::lol::lol:

I swear I did Google for box top images before I posted that, but yeah, egg, meet face. :unsure:

Wisconsin Motor Vehicles research disclosed Driver License Photo of Casey:

egg-face-flickr.jpg

To quote the legendary Foghorn Leghorn:

15125242.jpg

B)

Posted · Report post

Now thats funny right there :lol:

Posted · Report post

anyone know for sure if this reissue will contain anything not contained in prior issues? of substance i mean, not just a miniature box. i will buy one of these but its always nice to have everything it always had plus new stuff