Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bad habits

What are some good modeling habits or procedures that you often break? Like, I rarely wash or prime my parts (other than the body). Sometimes I prime and paint right over chrome plated parts. I start 10 projects for each one I finish. Where do you consistently fall short of diligence?

When I finish one, I can start 10 without feeling bad, but that really makes the Project stash huge, and causes slowly finishing projects, when trying to build too many cars at the same time. :D

Otherwise I'm doing Okay.

I get an idea and pull a body out , paint it. then get another idea and the whole process repeats .

Thats why I have nearly a dozen bodies painted sitting in cases.

my resolution this year is finish what I have already started.( including projects that have been sitting in the wings for over 10 years ) And at my current pace I shouldn't start another kit for about 2 years

I get an idea and pull a body out , paint it. then get another idea and the whole process repeats .

my resolution this year is finish what I have already started.( including projects that have been sitting in the wings for over 10 years ) And at my current pace I shouldn't start another kit for about 2 years

I'm the exact exact opposite. I hate doing the bodies, so I have completed engines and chassis and wheels with no bodies to put over them. The bodies - the hate of chrome foil and getting perfect gloss finishes is why I build mostly tanks and planes.

I'm the exact exact opposite. I hate doing the bodies, so I have completed engines and chassis and wheels with no bodies to put over them. The bodies - the hate of chrome foil and getting perfect gloss finishes is why I build mostly tanks and planes.

Maybe you two should get together! :lol:

Hi all: I have a tendency to work five to eight projects at a time. When I get an idea, I've got to pull a kit, start gathering pieces parts, making body mods or chassis mods. I end up detailing three or four engines at a time, chassis, same thing. Then suddenly I'm completing three or four models at the same time. I rarely was models before priming. I never soak resin bodies in Westly's or soap. Usually I sand the body before primer. If I have a problem during primer, then more sanding. And mostly I've GOT to cut myself at least once after replacing exacto blades. I super glued my finger closed last night after a new blade cut through my skin like butter. I was told that Crazy Glue is the same formula as used in emergency rooms. But hobby ACC works well! Aaron Dupont

I try not to start too many projects.

I usually work on 2 at the same time. While glue or paint is drying,I work on the other one.

But it seems that no matter what I'm working on,I want to work on something else.

Another bad habit (besides spending too much time on the computer LOL) is not working on models for days at a time. I kind of go in phases I guess.

I buy a kit with the intentions of building it then I see another kit and buy it with the same intention. Repeat several hundred time and now I have a huge stash of kits.

I also start to many projects and have a hard time finishing one.

Rob we must have been separated at birth. I do the exact same thing :)

Here's another one, a lot of you guys know what I'm talking about. I spend way too much time on details that no one will ever see like spark plug wires with boots on the end that will be hidden under the exhaust manifolds, or coil wire and fuel lines that will be hidden under the huge air cleaner. Come to think of it, no one hardly ever even looks at my models anyway unless I put them on here. Even then sometimes I wonder if anyone in the whole world ever looks at my models judging by the few comments I get before my posts get buried? I ask myself, " Am I that boring? " Answer, probably but, I'm still having fun. -_- What better way to waste my life?

Here's another one, a lot of you guys know what I'm talking about. I spend way too much time on details that no one will ever see like spark plug wires with boots on the end that will be hidden under the exhaust manifolds, or coil wire and fuel lines that will be hidden under the huge air cleaner. Come to think of it, no one hardly ever even looks at my models anyway unless I put them on here. Even then sometimes I wonder if anyone in the whole world ever looks at my models judging by the few comments I get before my posts get buried? I ask myself, " Am I that boring? " Answer, probably but, I'm still having fun. -_- What better way to waste my life?

Amen. I don't think anyone has ever seen any of my hundreds of models. Never entered one in a contest. Never posted photos here or elsewhere. None of friends do it. I'm not in a club. My rule of thumb on hidden details is this - if you can put the finished model in your hand and get a angle from anywhere to view it, I'll consider adding the extra details. But as my modeling skills have advanced and evolved, I've found I'm less worried about details and more concerned with clean and well executed builds.