Model Cars Magazine Forum

my step-son's third model

mnwildpunk

IMG445.jpg at 8 years old. my soon to be step-son Beau took an interest in modeling so I got him a couple snap cars first and I noticed they didn't pose a challenge to him at all. I decided to grab the 85 camaro kit originally for myself but gave it to beau because I thought it would be a great starter kit. Well he jumped right in and these pictures show how well I think he did. He did everything! Painting gluing and detailing. I think he did a great job!!! IMG443.jpg

IMG442.jpg

Bill Davis better be lookin' out soon. Alyn too.

Chuck's onto something, Beau is doing great for his age! My models at 8 years old were misshapen blobs of glued plastic that may have been parts at some paint, and paint with brush strokes in it! Take a bow Beau, you've done a great job, what's next for the little guy?

I don't know what to get him next but I'm sure he'll knock it out of the park. I noticed his ADHD calms down a lot when he is working on a model! I am super proud of the boy

During my teaching days, it was one of the reasons I really pushed modeling on the kids. It FORCES you to slow down...think about what you're doing, follow directions (more-or-less) or work out something if the instructions don't quite work. Frankly, I wonder if one of the reasons I lost jobs was because I was talking these kids out of SPED (and the school departments out of the huge amounts of money that go with SPED kids, but that's a rant for the disillusioned teacher's boards).

For his age especially, he did a fine job on that and can definitely be proud of it.

Charlie Larkin

To tell you guys the truth I was a bit jealous of the boy. I just got back into modeling and I think his camaro looked just as good if not better then my sedan delivery I built resently. I like the things he did to make it his own. Like the fact he wanted the valve covers copper colored and tail light lenes clear like the newer car lights. he is saying things like I want make carpets in my next car.

I have been reading the posts you guys have left and he is really jazzed to show you all what he build next. Thank you guys for your comments it's helping his self esteem a lot

It is so nice to see some of the younger "kids" taking up model building. For a while I was afraid model building would die out with the baby boomers, but it does my heart good to see young guys & gals building. It ensures that our beloved hobby will survive. Model building really is a hobby you can enjoy your entire life long. I've been building off & on since I was Beau's age & I'm now 57. It's definitely a challenging hobby that makes you push yourself with every build to make it just a little better than the previous build. In today's world of hand held games, texting, X-boxes & every other conceivable electronic gadget to hold kid's attention, it's nice to see them building something that they can keep & take with them through their years. Please take time to encourage youngsters to build models...whether they be cars, trucks, planes, boats or whatever. Our hobby depends on them to survive.