Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I airbrush real Metalflake onto a model ?

Guest G Holding

I don't know if anyone has tried adding metalflake the old way. I was reading a story about the Barris shop many years ago when they experimented by sprinkling "gold glitter" over wet paint then covered with coats of clear to create scallops.

lownslow made a flake buster for just such an occasion.

here's the link to the thread where he shows how he made one

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63196

Bass boat :( I learned the hard way that too much flake is EASY to do. I mix a "teeny bit" and one pass can look heavy. Practice a lot and you will come up with a balance or stop using flake. :rolleyes:

I don't know if anyone has tried adding metalflake the old way. I was reading a story about the Barris shop many years ago when they experimented by sprinkling "gold glitter" over wet paint then covered with coats of clear to create scallops.

Speaking from personal experience...you cannot believe hardly anything you might hear from or read about concerning the Barris clan. They know nothing about public relations, are never forthcoming with what could be called "full disclosure" and in general are no help at all in such matters. No matter how complete the article would seem, I guarantee you something was left out that anyone attempting to complete such a paintjob would need to know.

The biggest problem with using metalflake on models is the scale. Metalflake typically used for full size cars has flakes so big it makes a 1/25th scale car look like it's covered in glitter. I suggest using metalflake paints formulated for scale models rather than standard metalflake paints.