Model Cars Magazine Forum

Improved Lighting & Magnification Options?

Well its finally happened.Ive built off and on since age 6 or 7 and never had any problems but I am trying to detail a Big John Mazmanian Willys and the optivisor just is'nt doing the trick any more.I picked up a pair of "Reading Glasses" and they seem to be helping out pretty good but I guess a trip to the eye doctor is in order for a pair of modeling glasses.I came to this realization after it took 2 hrs to attach the injector linkages on a 1/25th Hilborn injector body. I really want to do more in depth builds like this.Are there any other good alternatives?I thought about a flourescent lighted magnifying glass.This will solve the ligthing and magnification.

Well its finally happened.Ive built off and on since age 6 or 7 and never had any problems but I am trying to detail a Big John Mazmanian Willys and the optivisor just is'nt doing the trick any more.I picked up a pair of "Reading Glasses" and they seem to be helping out pretty good but I guess a trip to the eye doctor is in order for a pair of modeling glasses.I came to this realization after it took 2 hrs to attach the injector linkages on a 1/25th Hilborn injector body. I really want to do more in depth builds like this.Are there any other good alternatives?I thought about a flourescent lighted magnifying glass.This will solve the ligthing and magnification.

If it is a genuine optivisor you can get stronger lenses right thru the mfgr. You can also add a helper loupe....The real trouble is the more magnification you add....the more you will need. I used a single eye loupe for many years on the repair bench and went stronger and stronger by adding extra loupes! After retiring and coming back to models...its the same thing all over. I use a large round flourescent magnifing light along with 2 40watt tubes overhead..lotsa light is good for my old eyes....

IMG_0090.jpg

http://www.doneganoptical.com/optiloupe.php

http://www.doneganoptical.com/eyeloupe.php

http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php

Edited by MikeMc

Yeah gettin old sux but we have to deal with it Ive been using the readers a little bit today but constantly looking over them or switching to my regular prescriptions.I think my next stop is what Harry suggested wich is also what I referenced in the original post.The one we have in the tool room at work even has a loup we use it to inspect carbide inserts when wear is minimal.I have pretty good lighting but will probably add more thinking about flourescent like I have over the table top mill and lathe out in the garage.I'll probably have to get a magnifying lamp for out there too.Over time needs to start rolling back around like a week ago....

I've picked up several pairs of readers at the Dollar Store. I started with +1.00 and cut the tops so they act like bi-focals, but I also have +1.75 and +2.75 and swap them around depending on how close up I want to work on something.

If nothing else they are cheap and quicker than an appointment.

You could always move up to a bigger scale like 1/20 or 1/16!

I actually do have a couple of 1/16 FED's in the future.The readers are actually not too bad once I got used to them.The only draw back is now I see stuff I missed on other builds and some stuff looks like ###### to me, that before looked good and actually has placed in contests.Oh well live and learn new glasses are in the near future most likely bifocals not sure yet.The best is yet to come.

the new glasses and the visor will do wonders for you old man. I came back too model building last year and havent been able to do much without the visor.....

Its a b*tch getting old...

Hehe, that's far nicer than what Dad has to say about getting old....but I can't exactly repeat that on here either since this is a family forum :lol:

I'll never forget helping him on our old F/S Chevy Van when I was in highschool and he had to pull the steering column apart to tighten the screws that were coming loose in it and half the time he was complaining about the bifocals being more of a nusense while trying to see under the dash in the dark while working by flashlights.

Hehe, that's far nicer than what Dad has to say about getting old....but I can't exactly repeat that on here either since this is a family forum :)

I'll never forget helping him on our old F/S Chevy Van when I was in highschool and he had to pull the steering column apart to tighten the screws that were coming loose in it and half the time he was complaining about the bifocals being more of a nusense while trying to see under the dash in the dark while working by flashlights.

Whoever said "Getting old is not for cowards" sure knew what he's talking about. Since I'm naturally near sighted, I've begun to take off my glasses for close work. I may have to go to mag glasses at some point, or maybe I'll go back to R/C airplanes. :D A lot fewer small parts there.

Gary

• 8 months later...

I'm currently unemployed, so I'm having to watch my money. That said, I'd still like to get a good magnifying visor so I can keep doing a certain level of detailing. I did a search last night, but noticed that some of the more expensive units ($40.00+) are listed as "overrated" given the cost, mostly because of marginal features like LED lighting that didn't help much, or a close-up detail lens that wouldn't stay in place. OTOH, ratings for the cheaper units ($12.00) ranged anywhere from one star (wavy plastic lenses, cheap materials, fell apart) to five stars (best thing I've ever bought - I can see through walls).

So...is it possible to buy a quality unit at a lower price? Links?

Hey Monty!!!! Are you FULL!!! :):lol:

If you have a Harbour Freight store near you,check it out.

I have one about 3 miles from me and there are good finds there.I got a visor there with an optional extra round eyepiece that is GREAT!!!

I think it was about $15-20 and works great.I use it all the time as I am an old fart and need the added vision.

Hope this help.Sorry,don't know the name of it.

I have a pair very similar to these:

http://www.micromark.com/DELUXE-LIGHTED-HEADBAND-MAGNIFIER,7844.html

The visor itself looks like the same on I have, but mine is not lighted, and I think I bought mine from one of the travelling tool shows that sell from tractor trailers. I pretty sure mine were only around $10, and I have had them for quite a few years. It has plastic lens, but very good clarity, and it has the extra flip down piece and the monical like the one's pictured in the link. If you'd choose to go with these, they would be worth the money.

If you must have a head mount buy an optivisor....it is worth every penny.

That said I have worked on a repair bench for 20 yrs or so. As I wear eyeglasses I have several jewelers loupes,that clip to my frames.

You can get different powers and / or multiple lens sets on one frame. I also have a round flourescent magnifiying lamp. I do not use

my optivisor any more as I found the more you use it the more you NEED it.....your eyes get spoiled by this...and do get weaker...

just my cents worth.......

If you have a Harbour Freight store near you,check it out.

I just checked their website, and CHECK THESE OUT!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38896

Those look exactly like the ones I sent you the other link for, but a whole lot cheaper!! Again, looks the same as mine, but with the lights.

Pick up some cheap magnifying reading glasses. I have a couple of the magnifying visors but quite using them because the glasses are much easier. You can get them up to 3X or so and I have found 1.5X to be plenty. I have found them on clearance at Target and wallyworld for a couple of bucks.

Mark S.

Edited by astroracer

OptiVisor 100%. Why? Well, the most important tool you work with is your eyes. If you buy cheap, you can cause strain and give yourself headaches. I have had my OptiVisor for 15 years and as my eyes get worse with age I can buy stronger lenses. There is a reason that if you watch watch repairman at work they always have a genuine Optivisor. They are a bit pricey but I guarantee you will only buy it one time. If you are short on money, save for it over time. These are less than a couple of kits but something you will use every day. Frankly, Micromark is not the least expensive place to buy. I got mine through a local hardware store.

Also check out this lighting system. http://www.micromark.com/QUASAR-LIGHTING-SYSTEM-FOR-OPTIVISOR,8608.html It was my Christmas present from my family. It is spectacular. Works very well and the batteries last a long time.

Being able to see well is a lot different that just being able to see. Treat your eyes well and you will be more inclined to build more often. My two cents!

I do not use my optivisor any more as I found the more you use it the more you NEED it.....your eyes get spoiled by this...and do get weaker...

My optometrist says that is an old wives tale. Your eyes will not grow weaker by using the visor. However, your eyes will grow weaker with age. So the time you start needing and using one will be as you get older. He said that if I put it on, and my eyes take a real loud "sigh", then I needed to put the visor on. He claims it will not weaken my current eyesight.

Just my 2 cents. Not worth it, I might add.

David

• 1 year later...

My hobby table is in the dimmest part of my apartment and the overhead lighting fixture seems to be more for decoration than illumination. I've been trying to augment this light with a regular 60 watt desk lamp, but I'm not happy with the results. The research I've done so far suggests that these LED lamps can produce brighter light than halogen lamps without the excessive heat, which sounds ideal.

If you have an LED lamp that you use for modeling and you're very happy with it, I'd appreciate it if you'd reply with a mfr part number or some other way to identify it.