Model Cars Magazine Forum

Improved Lighting & Magnification Options?

That's a good one, Harry. I also recommend the OTT lights.

http://www.amazon.co...29650271&sr=8-3

Virgil, what does yours use for a light source? After buying a lamp that promised the brightness of natural sunlight without the heat and having it put out the equivalent of moonlight on a foggy night, I can't afford to buy anything that doesn't measure up, hence the request for LED lighting.

Monty... you can't go wrong with the one I posted. Nice "daylight" color to the light it puts out, zero heat output, and supposedly will last for many years. At the price it's selling for right now (through the 25th), you just can't beat it.

I wish I could see one of these in use. If you read what I said to Virgil, I'm already leery of things that promise a certain type of light but come up short. As I mentioned, this will be my primary light source back there.

I wish I could see one of these in use. If you read what I said to Virgil, I'm already leery of things that promise a certain type of light but come up short. As I mentioned, this will be my primary light source back there.

You heard it from Harry - a testimonial from a professional graphic artist who uses it regularly. If you want a demonstration, why not go to the store, such as OfficeMax, and take a look? Same goes for Virgil's recommendation of OttLite. As for the perfection of light, I have a magnifying light that looks like Harry's LED, but mine has a fluorescent ring light that works just fine for me.

Edited by sjordan2

I've had a number of these lights ... articulating arm with magnifier .. and mine just broke apart the desk clamp, so this is just in time,

Harry ,,, how does the arm move on your recommended light? The one I had always resisted movement and was difficult to get it right. Not smooth at all. I'm balking at another one with all the trouble I've had. Ones I've had probably were cheapos.

I've had a number of these lights ... articulating arm with magnifier .. and mine just broke apart the desk clamp, so this is just in time,

Harry ,,, how does the arm move on your recommended light? The one I had always resisted movement and was difficult to get it right. Not smooth at all. I'm balking at another one with all the trouble I've had. Ones I've had probably were cheapos.

Harry will tell you about his, but mine has good-sized metal arms, with springs and adjustable tensioning knobs for every moving part. Never a problem with articulated movement.

Edited by sjordan2

You heard it from Harry - a testimonial from a professional graphic artist who uses it regularly. If you want a demonstration, why not go to the store, such as OfficeMax, and take a look? Same goes for Virgil's recommendation of OttLite. As for the perfection of light, I have a magnifying light that looks like Harry's LED, but mine has a fluorescent ring light that works just fine for me.

Good points - I had forgotten that Harry was a professional graphic artist. My local OfficeMax shows they have these in stock, so maybe they'll let me see if it makes the kind of brightness I need.

I'm guessing by now half the forum is perched on the edge of their chairs, tingling with excitement to find out what I bought, so here's the story:

Although my initial request was just for a better lighting source, both Harry and Cranky recommended magnifying lamps, for which I am now grateful. If you've seen the kind of work Cranky can do, it's obvious that his OTT magnifying light works well for him, but after comparing that unit against the one Harry recommended, I felt the Realspace unit was sturdier and better suited to my purposes. The lighting is just about perfect and there's no ambient heat, so it's very nice to work with.

I'm also glad I followed Harry's advice to buy this before the sale ended. My Office Depot had already marked the price back up to $62.00 when I went in, but after telling them the online price still showed to be in effect, they let me have it for the sale price, which saved me about $16.00.

• 4 months later...

My eyes aren't what they used to be and I need a lot of light. My workbench area is OK in the lighting department but sometimes I just need more to be able to see small stuff better. I've got a Harbor Freight visor with 2 small lights on it but it's not enough. I've also got a lighted magnifying glass but it's an el cheapo and I'm not crazy about using it. I'd thought about a small spot light or maybe a visor light like this one:

http://www.hobbylinc...on/donlt-06.htm

What's everyone else using?

check out LED lights at lowes they are not cheap but are available in natural daylight intensity which makes colors look as they would outside and they are pretty dang brite. look at other lights while you're there you should be able to find something to fit your needs. hope this helps.

This setup has worked great for me, and it is relatively cheap, and VERY bright.

DSCN6175.jpg

On the left is a magnifying lens-lamp I got at an art-supply store scratch & dent sale for $15. It was designed to take a 100watt incandescent bulb, but I modified it (very slightly) to take a compact flourescent, which has the same screw base, and makes negligible heat. The compact flourescent bulb only takes 25 watts to make the same amount of light as a 100 watt incandescent.

The other two swing-arm lamps I got at Goodwill for $5 each. They are rated for only 60 watt bulbs, but because a 100 watt comparable-light compact flourescent only takes 25 watts, I installed two of those. Compact flourescents come in soft white and daylight-balanced color temperatures, so you can mix and match bulbs to suit the kind of light you prefer. I use two soft whites (which are more blue) and one daylight (more yellow). It's very bright, like I said, and you can put the light exactly where you need it.

The actual light falling on the desk would take 300 watts using incandescent bulbs, but only 75 watts using compact flourescents, so it saves on your power bill too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 7 months later...

Hello, I'm new to the site and have been lurking about the last couple of weeks, and this is my first post. First of all, I've been seeing a lot of top notch cars on here and have learned a few new tips that I didn't already know in my 30 years of on and off model building. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? Throughout the years I've mainly built cars, but I've also built occasional planes (WWII planes) and a few boats. For the time being I have way too many other hobbies as well so I'm just going to stick mainly with some old muscle cars for a while.

Presently I'm building a 1966 Mustang (AMT), a 1967 Mustang Fastback GT (AMT) and even though I know it's not a muscle car, a VW Beetle (Revell). I'm looking to get a 1963 Corvette split window next and after that if I can find one, a '57 or '58 Plymouth Fury. I wouldn't mind building '59 Cadillac as well if I have enough time in the near future.

My first question on here is "what kind or brand of desk top mount magnifying glasses are you guys using" . I haven't been building for almost ten years and my last one seems to have disappeared from my box of paint and brushes etc. and I can't seem to find one or any actually like it in any of the stores I've looked at so far, including ebay. It was 6 inch by 4 inch rectangle lens with a snake "soft metal tube" and light and it was excellent to work under. I was hoping that in the last ten years there would be some new and better designed ones out there for model building but if there is, I'm just not finding them. every thing I'm finding is round and around four inches diameter give or take an inch.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone on here is using nowadays.

Richard

Grainger---Edco Tool Co. -- check out the ones they have there- they are the kind used by company assemblers. I've use one for about 10 years. I use it for every build. They clamp on a table and have a round bulb , a big mag glass and about a 3 ft radius movement- they work perfect for building models. I couldn't build if I didn't have one. They might be 50 or 60 bucks- but it's well worth it.

I only have one illuminated 4" round swing-arm magnifier on my bench, but I've found that the biggest help is to have sufficient light. The 3 swing-arms each have 100watt-comparable compact flourescent bulbs, color balanced to daylight, and are brighter than daylight. Nice thing about CFDs is they make very little waste heat (which is why they use so much less energy) and I get 300 watts worth of light (if these were incandescent bulbs) for 75 watts. That also means they don't add much heat to the house in the summer that the AC would have to work harder to dump.

DSCN6175.jpg