Model Cars Magazine Forum

Improved Lighting & Magnification Options?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The single biggest issue since I started modeling again has been my ability to see things well. To that end I was wondering what other people have found to be effective as far as lighting goes. I use a drawing table to work on so a light that I can attach and remove and also position over my work is what I'm looking for. Right now I'm using a hodgepodge of stuff for lighting. Any and all suggestions/ideas are welcome!

Here's a pic of my table:

post-12459-0-43150300-1388707271_thumb.j

The best one I have found is from Office Depot

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/420036/Realspace-Clamp-On-Magnifier-Task-Lamp/

I bought two already

I usually end up drilling a ½" hole in the desk, to give it a more sturdy mount than the stock clamp.
The clamp works, it's just that I have broken one before.

I got mine on sale, it was like $30 in store.

I use a magnifier LED lamp. Best lamp I've ever had. Bright "daylight" light, not the warm yellow of incandescent light or the cold blue of flourescent. And because it's LED, no heat. Zero. And very long bulb life. You won't be sorry...

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/420036/Realspace-Clamp-On-Magnifier-Task-Lamp/

Edit: Looks like great minds think alike. Gregg and I agree. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for ideas and help from all of the builders out there. I'm looking for a portable,rechargable,magnified light. What are your thoughts, I'd like to find one on the cheap if possible. I've heard of OTT Lights but they are a bit pricey for me.

Thanks for any and all ideas!!

You may want to consider getting an Optivisor. Has a light built in, and magnification lenses. I don't know of any magnifying lamps without a cord.

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=visor

the link above takes you to Micro Mark, but these can be purchased in other places as well as craft stores. Just a reference of what I am talking about.

I found an OTT Light at a craft store for $29, because it had the flourescent bulb, instead of the new LED equipped models that are now out also, but has no magnifier.

Harbor Freight also sells a magnifier that has some alligator clips on it that uses aaa batteries to supply an LED light. The clamps could hold things when painting or gluing as well. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=helping+hand

Hope this helps.

Edited by vypurr59

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Saw one at a train show, no name brand. Looked on Grainger, prices range $60- $350. Cannot tell what the quality difference is. Maybe there is none nowadays. Fellow modelers have told me that LED ones burn up. Florescent would be good as that is the light we show and compete under. I would say $100 range is fine. Also they rate by dipolar, read the Wiki, still not sure how that affects it, if any for our use.

Any brands, links, pics you could provide would be a help.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

I have both and I finally threw the desk clamp style away. I kept banging into it with the handles of tool at the most inopportune moments. Paint brushes are the worst. Optivisor has its share of problems, but I have adapted. For lighting I use their LED light. It is very bright and works well.

I have one, magnifying lamp, but I can't use it. I do a lot better without it for some reason, I can seem to focus and I lose hand/eye coordination. Maybe when my vision starts to decline later in life it will help, but right now it's more of a nuisance for me.