Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a good fourth model for my stepson

In under glass you will see my stepson's third model an 85 camaro that he did a fantastic job on. We are now looking for another model kit like the 85 camaro which was fairly basic. We want something that isn't a pain. Nothing that has parts which need adjustment to make them fit. Snap kits don't challenge him enough but I don't want anything so challenging that it turns him off from the hobby. What I'm asking for is a model kit that you think would be good for an 8 yr old and if you could please list the reasons why you think it's a good kit for him. Oh could you also list anything negative about said kit too.

Thank you and if I didn't make it hard enough to look at a kit with the eyes of an 8 yr old one last thing to add. The kit won't interest him unless it's a street rod, muscle car or big tractor trailer. He passed on a couple kits I had which were lambos. He said "they are not old and they are ugly dad" he may not be my true son but he has my taste

G,day , when i used to help a couple of young guys in my area i used to use monogram kits as they were bulky and easy to put together . They dont have any small parts and when there done they look good , so i say go with the monogram kits .

IIRC My Revell 68 Firebird went together pretty easily. It makes a pretty good shelf model as well. I've been eyeballing the Monogram (maybe Revell) 70 Roadrunner kit. I want to build "The Hammer" from this kit. It looks pretty straight forward and I've been told the parts count isn't that high.

l built the revell monogram 91 firebird a few years ago and it was a really simple kit and not one problem and a low part count. The revell Kenworth and peterbuilt semi are real good kits also and with him being young all the kits l listed have that cool factor. the firebird was just released a few weeks ago.....

I like the old ones, so I'm probably not going to be much help. My son loved the AMT Viper, of course he is now 31, so probably not much help either. He always wanted a level 3 and he had to explane that to me. I would say what ever the current thing is with kids. Maybe an import of some kind.

Monogram kits imo are the easist to do for beginners.

like the 1971 Cuda or 1970 Challenger T/A

another decent one is the Badman 55 chev.

ps, my 12 year old daughter built the Polar Lights 65 Dodge with very little help from me, she is/was estatic with it.

Edited by gtx6970

I'm still thinking about this one and want to help. I also raised a step son and know how difficult that can be sometimes. I think it is great that you are taking the time to do this with him, it will mean a lot more to him later in life. Thinking of the situation I would now ask him what type of car he would like to drive/own someday and let him build that if it is available. Trucks can be very cool too. These are some of the most important times with him before he gets interested in girls and such. Hope that helps in some way.

You might want to look into the glue reissues of previous Snap-Tite Revell kits. The '94 Impala SS comes to mind.

He's also right around that age when most of us got "turned lose" so to speak and started working on kits ourselves. Not saying you should in anyway drop supervision and tutelage, but after a few more builds you might want to take him to the hobby shop and let him pick his own subject matter.

I think any kit what has no major fit issues or other bad things, is okay. As I started with AMT '60 Starliner, then continued with AMT '57 Fairlane and Belvedere. Those were not the easiest ones like SnapKits, but I can't remember bigger issues with them because the qualities of those kits were really nice. Oh well the Fairlane doors were horrible, since they were opening and didn't fit at all, and exhaust in '58 Belvedere was bit difficult, otherwise everything went okay.

Those would be good I think, the Camaro looks already Great, so I do believe he could build those kits too. :D

It's nice to have whole Family in model building isn't it? My dad got me into Model Building, he had built models earlier but he was having a 20 year break, but then I managed to get him back into modeling and after that I got my little sister to build Model Cars too. She's building Revell's '60 Impala, that would be one good kit too. Mother needs to still get inside the Hobby. :lol:

Edited by W-409

In looking back on some of the easiest kits I've put together over the years, Monogram stands out. I'm a hot rod/street rod/muscle car builder, so I'd suggest the '29 Ford RPU, '70 Chevelle, or '53 Chevy. Perhaps as his 5th/6th model(s) - an AMT '66 Nova Pro Street or Revell '32 Ford Coupe/Roadster. These are all good candidates due to ease of assembly and are really brought to life by simple detail methods - dry brushing, washes, flat/semi-gloss/gloss combinations, sanding tire treads, etc.

HI:

I would go back to the old AMT vintage series kits..... There are still a ton of them out there and if you try for a reissue you can keep the price pretty low.

My first pick would be the old AMT 40 Ford Coupe..... it is a very simple build but has lots of speed parts to customize it...(2 engines....slicks, a blower etc etc)

It is an older vintage subject and with a bit of work builds up very nicely..... even the veterans on this board have turned out great builds but it still is good for the novice....

The downside is probably going to be the flash on most of the reissues..... it may be significant but nothing that you can't overcome.....

You may have to search the internet to find one..... you don't need to get a vintage trophy series kit from 1960 as those are serious collectors items and will be expensive...

Try Ebay and you will literally see tons and tons of these kits ranging from $10-$12 to way over $30..... stay in the $10-$12 range....there are just too many versions out there to justify some of the stupid crazy prices.... the first three I saw were $11....$12....and $14 respectively...

The 40 Ford panel was just re-released by Round-2 and it is nice as well but I prefer the Coupe....there was also a sedan as well....

Another good bet is the Monogram 37 Ford street rod.... again good detail parts, simple construction and an older vintage subject.....best thing here is it is still very readily available at Hobby Town, Hobby Lobby etc.... $16 at my local Hobby Town.... same for the 32 roadster....

Good luck with this!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)