Model Cars Magazine Forum

When did you first truely realize your not the young buck you used to be?

This past weekend we decided our old matress was shot. So we went and got a new one. A real bed not the thin cheap matress we all had when we were single. Delivery who needs delivery not us. Well we kicked the old mattress to the curb and grabbed the new one out of the truck. Once we got it inside we had already started rethinking the delivery and we still had a flight of stairs to go. Half way up well our energy was gone but we couldn't quit now. My wonderful women decided she needed a break and thought leaving the beds full weight trying to push me down the stairs was ok. I assured her it wasn't! We finally made it to the bed room after trying to bend it around a corner. We flopped it down on the frame and both collasped on our new bed. In that moment my thoughts crystalized on the fact I can't do things like this anymore without a fist full of painkillers or a few drinks afterwards. My question to you is what age did you fully understand your not superman and your not going to do stupid STUFF like carrying a mattress up stairs anymore!

My time came when i was 50 when i climbed under a valueliner mack truck ,simply to re- tighten the speedo tooth counter on the gearbox . Getting in there was easy but when it came time to get out the truck had lost some air so it sat lower . Yer it had done this before and i've just climbed up between the chassis and tailshaft to get out , well just twisting and turning to start to get out i realized , " I'm too old to do this stuff anymore ".

LOL, you guys are making me feel a lot better! Being 6'6" tall and 280lbs, people think you can carry cars around on your back and me being stupid in my younger years (I'm 45) I would be the first to offer to lift something heavy or carry something too big. Boy, do I regret it now!!!!!!! Feet, legs and back sore all the time!!! I remember one of my bosses telling me "don't be a hero" when I went to pick up a 400 lb transformer for a job we were doing. I understand now why he said that!

I decided that a long time ago, seems other people have different plans for me. We moved when I was 30 and I remember starting to black out from back pain carrying an old style TV up the stairs. On our next move, a year later we hired a moving company. Some one old, on the other hand is 10 to 15 years older then your current age. At 62, I feel it every morning when I first roll out of bed, then it comes and goes all day.We have a Sleep by Numbers bed so it is light as air, very easy to move, maybe you should try one next time. Now, I think old is going to be when we can't make it up the stairs any more and have to move our bed down stairs, I don't want to ever move again from this shack.

I played touch football with a bunch of friends every New Years day from 1970 to 1996. The last time was about a month before my 45th birthday. I had to drive 150 miles to play the game and 150 miles home afterward. When I got home my wife, very wisely, said," You know, you should think about retiring from the game before you get hurt". She was right and I did. I still miss it! She always tells people I think I'm 18 and act like I'm 12. I can live with that!

I'm 60 and in OK health. my eyes were never very good,and thanks to playing loud music in the 70's,my hearing is not great.

But other than occasional knee problems,I'm good.

What gets me is like last weekend I had this old gray haired guy come over and start talking to me and it turns out I went to school with him! Never would have recognized him if he hadn't told me his name.

And I've noticed the obituaries have a lot of people in their late 50's and early 60's.

Enjoy it while you have it,I guess.

Like Red Green say "Remember,I'm pulling' for ya-we're all in this together"

Nothing worse than that first "Sir."

I'm 50. Lots of raquet ball kept me pretty healthy. The arm is a bit worn and the knees ache when it cold. It's the mind that is starting to worry me. My fathers' side of the family has a history of

ummm

ummm

What was I talking about?

Edited by Scott Colmer