Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's up with the semi truck aftermarket?

I've been looking for aftermarket parts for some of the projects I've had in mind, but finding the parts has become next to impossible. I looked through Sour Krauts, but 90% of the parts he has listed are sold out. Spaulding shipping and trading has really no parts at all, just kits, and P&P hasn't been doing much. I bought an engine from Chris, but his Ebay store is pretty much non exsistent...

I too, wonder. I have looked and looked for the same type things and found them "out of stock". 'Krauts site is all but OOS. I have also saught to find scale coruggated dust material to replace the plastic on the cleaner can to the turbo chargers, no one make it or I can't find it. I've even writen to Plastruct to suggest it as a new product proposal. I am sick of using straws and wire to simulate it. I want in stock tires and wheels and dual rear tire castings, and of course trailer suspension packages for lowboys and Schanuable type trailers. Casters take notice!!

Well, what is it that you're looking for? You can check with Daniel over at Plaskit Resin (plaskit_resin@yahoo.ca) or Gary Wallace at G.W. Trucks (gwtrucks@yahoo.com). Neither of them have a Website (Daniel does have a Photobucket or Fotki site with pics of his stuff), but you can email them & they'll send you a catalog. If you're looking for custom built heavy-haul stuff, shoot Rick Mark of Industrial Model Design an email (rick@industrialmodeldesign.com). And Dave at American Industrial Truck Models (AITM) offers more in his catalog then on his Website (http://www.aitruckmodels.com/).

If you're willing to shop overseas, then there's Howard from Kit Form Services in England (http://www.kitformservices.com/), Nigel from Auslowe in Australia (http://www.auslowe.com.au/), and there's always The Model Maker Shop in Austria (http://www.modelmakershop.com/modelmakershop/).

No ,these places do not have this item. I have only seen some short pieces out of stock on Sourkraut's site. The maker of those parts doed not have them on its site either They are not screems or mesh but a simulated hose akin to a cloths dryer duct material.

No ,these places do not have this item. I have only seen some short pieces out of stock on Sourkraut's site. The maker of those parts doed not have them on its site either They are not screems or mesh but a simulated hose akin to a cloths dryer duct material.

Are you refering to the rubber, ribbed air to air connectors found on the air intake pipes under the hoods of trucks?

If it's those ribbed hose you need, then Jaime at Mo'Luminum is probably your best bet, Or you can try & make them yourself from Plastruct elbows. That's what these are:

DSC00638.jpg

Here's waht it looked like when I made them (sorry, it's a little blurry):

FILE0057.jpg

Yep, those are them! I find the kit supplied item lacking and DIY wire wound lacking. But, looking at these examples I may have made a huge mis cue. Are they always made in sections like this. I mean round tube and flexible connection pieces? This could be a game changer. The kit supplied pieces I have for the KW900 Wrecker were impeded by a mis alighnment, and something on the firewall, and, in trying to fix it I ruined them. So, if this is the common arrangment I have the skills and the parts to fix it. I'll tyr to upload a pic later and show what I am dealing with. Thanks guys this is great news.

Yep, those are them! I find the kit supplied item lacking and DIY wire wound lacking. But, looking at these examples I may have made a huge mis cue. Are they always made in sections like this. I mean round tube and flexible connection pieces? This could be a game changer. The kit supplied pieces I have for the KW900 Wrecker were impeded by a mis alighnment, and something on the firewall, and, in trying to fix it I ruined them. So, if this is the common arrangment I have the skills and the parts to fix it. I'll tyr to upload a pic later and show what I am dealing with. Thanks guys this is great news.

Every installation on a real truck with a particular engine and options is different. I think the Revell KW wrecker is a Caterpillar engine, so the installation will be different with different parts. And most likely the truck model kit may not be prototypically accurate in the first place. I actually took many photos of a real Freightliner FLD with a Detroit Diesel engine. I also used actual maintenance manuals as references.

Those pink hose connectors are from Clint Freeman. When i purchased that stuff way back when, I made a big order. They were also available in blue. SourKraut's Truck models did offer them from another supplier. I don't remember who.

Under my model's hood, there is a lot of scratch built stuff. That DD is a Clint Freeman. I built this model before Italeri offered the Peterbilt kits so the Freeman DD was all that was available. I built this using Ken Smith's Car Modeler instructions. In fact Ken collaborated with me to help me get it done.

I have aluminum tube for the air cleaner intake and stainless steel tube for the intercooler intake pipe. It was a b**** to bend that stainless tube. The rest of the piping is resin and plastic.

Ken told me to use anything you can find to detail your models. A craft store, hardware store, electronic shop can give you some convincing items to simulate what you want.

Platruct and Evergreen plastic is great. The elbow pipe connect to the air cleaner can is actually a kit part with plastic strips made to look like flexible rubber.

Unfortunately aftermarket parts are out there, they are just more difficult to find and much more expensive than they were 10 or 15 years ago.

Detailing is all in how far you want to go. You can replicate ever bolt and nut that was on a particular model for that year of subject, but you may never finish the model, obsessing over every minute detail.

Of course that is the fun of modeling.

Edited by chuckyr

As far as aftermarket details.

I build these.

You drill holes for the fittings on the truck side and glue them in place and glue the elect box and elect line in place on the truck side.

On the trailer side,you drill holes for the fittings and plug and unplug them as you need to move the truck around.

You glue the elect box to the trailer and plug and unplug the elect. line to move the truck around.

They come with spring hanger's after the line's are formed to fit your truck hang the ring on a bar behind the truck or sleeper or hang them on the pogo stick.

I only ship to lower 48 states USA.

There very nice and add that detail that is missing on a lot of truck builds.

Send me a message if you want some I,m working on some more sets right now.

These are on JT Williams KW

073a_zps4459e8f71.jpg

DSC07032_zpsf08d8fa8.jpg

Edited by ewaskew

• 6 years later...
On 2/7/2013 at 7:20 PM, ewaskew said:

As far as aftermarket details.

I build these.

You drill holes for the fittings on the truck side and glue them in place and glue the elect box and elect line in place on the truck side.

On the trailer side,you drill holes for the fittings and plug and unplug them as you need to move the truck around.

You glue the elect box to the trailer and plug and unplug the elect. line to move the truck around.

They come with spring hanger's after the line's are formed to fit your truck hang the ring on a bar behind the truck or sleeper or hang them on the pogo stick.

I only ship to lower 48 states USA.

There very nice and add that detail that is missing on a lot of truck builds.

Send me a message if you want some I,m working on some more sets right now.

These are on JT Williams KW

073a_zps4459e8f71.jpg

DSC07032_zpsf08d8fa8.jpg

I’m interested in a couple sets of those. Do you have an email address?

• 2 weeks later...