Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AMT/Round-2 reissue of '67 Shelby GT-350

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Has anyone got the reissue of the AMT/Round-2 1967 Shelby Mustang GT-350 on their workbench yet? (The retro box artwork looks fantastic)!

I'm wondering if this kit is a straight-reissue of the AMT/Ertl 1967 Shelby Mustang GT-350 of a few years ago. I know it will be issued in both White and Black styrene, but am wondering if everything else, including the decal sheet, is exactly the same as the original release.

Posted · Report post

Sorry, but all I have is a grainy cell-phone snap of the little illustration off the bottom of the box. But it might be enough to tell if it's just a straight reprint of decals from earlier releases. I doubt it is, most of the Round 2 repops have had expanded decal sheets...

I'll try to see if I can get a better version of the decal art sometime today.

379342_4332135508553_1165359446_n.jpg

Posted · Report post

It'd be fantastic if the newly-tooled Goodyears were inside this reissue, but every description that I have read regarding the reissue for this kit still mentions the Firestones as the tires included... :mellow:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm pretty sure they're the infamous "upside-down" Firestones from the 90's era of new tooling. I think they're what's always been in this kit. Good tire for red-lines or thin white walls. Not sure what the Shelby would have had from the factory. I know Shelby had a close relationship to Goodyear, but by 67 Shelbys were pretty much a Ford factory production, and Ford had long ties with Firestone...

Edit - the Shelbys used Goodyear Speedway 350 E70/15's. Only the "Goodyear " would have been RWL.

So they could have changed the printing on the new Goodyears and used those (if they fit the wheels)

Edited by Brett Barrow

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure they're the infamous "upside down" Firestones from the 90's era of new tooling. I think they're what's always been in this kit.

That's what the 1994 copyrighted kit I have and the RC2-era 'AMT Muscle' issue both had, the latter actually came with two sets, for whatever reason!

Back to the upside down lettering- is that actually correct? I've heard guys say Firestone actuallly did make tires with upside down lettering like that, but I've never seen a 1:1 Firestone from that period lettered that way.

Posted · Report post

That's what the 1994 copyrighted kit I have and the RC2-era 'AMT Muscle' issue both had, the latter actually came with two sets, for whatever reason!

Back to the upside down lettering- is that actually correct? I've heard guys say Firestone actuallly did make tires with upside down lettering like that, but I've never seen a 1:1 Firestone from that period lettered that way.

I've heard that the red-lines were lettered that way. The tread's a little overdone, but proportionally I think they make a decent muscle-era tire.

Posted · Report post

I've heard that the red-lines were lettered that way.

Looks like that is at least correct. (After reading this thread and seeing the upside down lettering come up, I got curious and did a little digging...)

0tire-vi.png

0tires3-vi.jpg

I agree- I think they look great on a variety of muscle car subjects.