Model Cars Magazine Forum

How big is your work table ?

I never had enough room no matter what. I moved into a new house with a big basement so I figured I'd make the work space I've always wanted. I took two cafeteria tables and put them together in a big square then put a 4x8 piece of plywood on that-- so that is 5x8. Eventually that wasn't big enough. I got another cafe table. Still not enough. SO don't get a bigger bench- you'll just end up needing more space.

I end up putting all the stuff I need to work on kits on my work tables and it just snowballs into less and less space and I still have to get up and go to the shelves and get stuff. Maybe I should go back to the TV tray (remember those?) I used when I was a kid. Good idea?

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone start out on a TV tray?post-7811-0-08154500-1360199525_thumb.jp

48" X 30" Counter top, if you count the shelves above it that would be another (3) 48" X 12" but I don't work on them, just shuffle stuff from the bench onto the shelves to get a bit of space to work. Some times I feel like a juggler! I think that's why I like to be organized with my builds. I like to have all or nearly all of the parts on hand before starting.

IMG_2638-vi.jpg

My workbench is an old hollow core door. Figure it's 24" wide by 7'-0" long. It's covered with brown paper and it sits on top of two old night stands that I cut the legs so the bench surface would be at the right height. Note that I have all that space and I work on that small board in the center of the bench. The rest accumulates junk until I start to hopelessly lose parts, then I clean it up. The photo here was snapped right after a cleaning. That's as good as it gets!

I work at a roll-top desk in my basement model area...... here's a pic from months ago...

010.jpg

All of my tools and jar paints, glues, etc., are within arms reach either in the little cubby holes or the drawers, or on top. This has been working well for me for the past year. I previously was building at my dining room table but got tired of having to put everything away when we were eating or having company over. Having a dedicated, undisturbed work space is definitely the only way to go.

Richard, I went from a TV tray to the coffee table, and finally lucked out and picked up a computer armoire at a used furniture store for $150.00, the best money I've ever spent! I spent about a day making it work for me, adding hooks to the doors and sides for parts and tools, adding a removable photo-booth on the left hand side, and putting a pair of light fixtures in it. Now when I'm done working, I just close the doors and my mess is hidden from view, making Pam happy, and giving me a permanent work-space!

MC008-vi.jpg

MC009-vi.jpg

MC001-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I use a regular computer desk for my work area. I recently built a 22" wide, 6' long by 31" high work bench that branches off the left hand side of the computer desk. Im currently building another work bench identical in size to branch off the right hand side as well. Im going to add a back to the left hand work bench to hang peg board on to hang all my tools, and supplies etc. I have a four tier stand behind the bench that will branch off the right hand side as my stash bench, a stand that holds my spray booth beside a sink and a coffee table that holds my tv, and stero. Pretty cool work area Im in the process of building which is coming together very nicely. Will post pics of the finished result when its just that ha ha finished :D

Thanks Deron, I'm very happy with it, and it's perfect for what we do! If I had a picture of it now, you'd see it looks like any other builder's area, way too much stuff on the table top, and tons of things screwed to both doors and any other vertical surface I could put a hook in. If you can find one for yourself, I highly recommend them!

My table gets so messed up during a build- I'll stop and put everything away and then the next day I'll get everything back out and start in again fresh. HA! It does kind of keep me organized and on track when I do that- I do that about once a week!

Custom Mike--I really like the TV cabinet with the doors- nice!

Tom G- the shelves up on the wall are something I should do- only my walls are concrete.

post-7811-0-84317500-1360215486_thumb.jp

I have 7 4x12 foot tables with two normal size desk in my work area of 1/3 of the basement. I will be also moving in some more stuff and taking up another 1/3 with couple of machines and about 8 more 4x12 tables by June.

Well then.... I did the math and your basement is 640 ft. long. You have me beat by about 7ft. HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

I'm rather lucky, I have 2 4'x8' drafting tables and 2 steel desks. I hoarded some extra wood from work (they are 36x30 pieces) layed 6 of them down on top of the desks for more surface area. I have a 16'x16' "area" in the unfinished part of the basement. Oh yea, every main piece you see in the pictures, I got for free. And for you old elecronics guys, yes, that is an old printer case used to stifle the noise from the printer, thats my paint booth. Have to be imaginative.

There is only one shelf, it just shows up in the other picture after in got moved.

post-5121-0-12001500-1360260855_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-08562600-1360260866_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-76449800-1360260945_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-78529400-1360261170_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-90974300-1360261193_thumb.jp

Edited by tubbs

Table is 4' x 8'. Usable work space that isn't covered with stuff and miscellaneous BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH is about 24"x12". Enough for my 12x12 glass surface plate and the scattered tools, paints and brushes I'm currently using. As the project goes along the work area gets smaller, then I get fed up and clean up enough to get back to work.

No pictures! Believe me you don't want to see where the sausage (or, since this is Pennsylvania, scrapple) gets made!

Well, here's ONE, but assume that the clutter extends WAY beyond the borders of the picture!

40_5-vi.jpg